I Went Crazy & Need Your Help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Tom Eltang Devil Anse last night. It's not smooth, it's rusticated, but you can't have everything perfect. It just seems like these are getting harder to find in any form. I could be wrong, at the moment of decision all I knew was I had to have it NOW and couldn't put it off any longer. Maybe some of you have been in such a situation yourselves.

I've already rolled $183.50 this morning to put towards defraying the cost. Also assigned a $23.60 check I've been carrying around for 5 weeks to the cause.

I've wanted one, I missed out on a less expensive smooth Radice by pausing no more than an hour, and so I ended up with what I guess is the definitive Devil Anse, except it ain't smooth.

Anyway, it's a special pipe for me, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide what to smoke in it. I'm the type of guy who designates a particular tobacco to each pipe (some "lesser" pipes handle general types of tobacco, i.e. aros, VA's, you get the idea).

So, if you were in my place, what tobacco do you think you'd choose to mate up with this Eltang Devil Anse?

Spendy! What would Devil Anse smoke in it? Perhaps Prince Albert (introduced in 1907) or some burley equivalent, perhaps home-grown? Todd Harris (whom I recommend btw) of this forum made one for me, and I smoke everything in it. It's a handy little pipe and smokes really great, and I love carrying it around with me. Congratulations on your acquisition. Eltang has a great eye for shape. Usually.

Yes, I like your suggestion of Burley. Certainly a Burley blend, or a heavy burley. And, quite naturally, some Virginia(s) in there too(?)

I realize this question is kinda kooky. But I thought it could be a fun one to toss around. Thanks for picking up on the spirit and playing!

I'm a big flake smoker and recently discovered Mac Baren Modern Virginia. What a great smoke! But the Cavendish and apricot/pineapple flavoring would DEFINITELY have no place in Devil Anse's pipe, no place in his LIFE!

Some blends that I think would be appropriate, Cornell & Diehl Burley Flakes 1-4, Old Joe Krantz, Pegasus or Haunted Bookshop, Peretti 333, Carter Hall, GL Pease Cumberland or Barbary Coast, Solani Aged Burley Flake or Silver Flake 660, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired or Golden Extra..

But yeah, burley of some sort.

Interesting suggestion, Wizard.  Solani White & Black is one of my favorites, but I've ever had this Burley blend.  I'll have to check it out.

HEY! Quick edit to give props to Drumsandbeer for suggesting the same tobacco! I completely missed it. I beg forgiveness, Drums, for my hasty oversight.

With a 1.88 inch depth, and a .76 inch width bowl, I too would go with either Burley, Virginia, or a VaPer.

smoker13":x1laopbe said:
HEY! Quick edit to give props to Drumsandbeer for suggesting the same tobacco!  I completely missed it.  I beg forgiveness, Drums, for my hasty oversight.
No apologies necessary. Great minds think a like.

Dutch has a good point with the chamber dimensions being good for VA's and Vapers. Solani 633, Long Golden Flake, some Escudo maybe? Or Blackwoods Flake or Christmas Cheer!? Ah, the endless possibilities.

Enjoy.

Well, to get technical, Dutch, my pipe has a chamber depth of 1.62 and a chamber diameter of .74........but yeah, I agree with your tobacco suggestions, especially since they're basically my favorites, after all is said and done.

Oh, I love my Squadron Leader, my Haddo's Delight and Barbary Coast, My Perfection, my Solani White & Black, etc etc, but bring me back to Ol' Virginny and Loueezeeanny, Maryland and No' Carolina and I'm happy.

Of course I just watched the Hatfield and McCoy series on Netflix again primarily for the pipe shots. Damn it all if that pipe was smooth in every shot, nary a rusticated "spare" ever stickin' outta Devil Anse's mouth. Oh well........

Getting back to the technical dimensions, I was checking out the 9 Eltang Devil Anse pipes Smokingpipes.com has sold. All of their dimensions differed, except a couple had the same chamber diameter or overall diameter, but things like length and height all differed. 4 smooth grain and 5 rusticated.

Pete, that's a damn fine suggestion, and I've got some in the house. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I guess the ultimate answer is to not overthink this. At one point I was thinking I should go with a straight Virginia only, but from the first suggestion of Burley I had to admit that stuck in my brain. Perique kind of slipped in as of late. Aw hell, as long as it ain't English, Scottish, Oriental or the like I guess it'll do. Gotta be as down home American as ol' Devil Anse Hisself'

Why would you need someone else to tell you what to smoke in your pipe?