I Went Maskless

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Since the mask mandate in St. Paul-Minneapolis, I have always worn a mask when I'm in a public place; anywhere there are people gathered. Haven't had a cold. One day last week, I went to the grocery and realized I didn't have a mask with me. I figured, quickly in and out, no mask mandate, so I went into the store naked. Over this past weekend, I could feel my throat tightening, knew I was snoring hard, and now I have a full blown cold. Expletive deleted.
Pre-Covid, I'd shop at a Fresh Thyme Market, near the U of MN campus. Almost all the Asian students shopping there wore some type of mask. I asked one young man, "Why the mask?" His reply, "Just to be safe from other people's germs."

Ouch. Sorry you got nailed with a cold. I am absolutely not snickering but that’s really classic. 😷
I never realized that a simple mask could keep you from catching colds, flu, whatever. People cough and sneeze in public, often not covering their pie holes.

Yeah…it’s what they’ve been saying for the past two years. Mask! Mask! Mask!

It really doesn’t come home til it happens to you though. Jeez…I’ve spent most of my life around medical stuff…but was on a flight from San Jose to PDX four or five years ago when I got nailed. I was seated next to a very handsome young Indian woman and she was sniffling into a Kleenex the whole way. A week later I had it and there was NO doubt it was from her, Typhoid Tia.

I've heard several stories of people who have been in isolation for the most part and wearing a mask when they had to go out-and-about that have ended up with the worst cold they can remember after they quit wearing a mask. I think the Asian folks have the right idea about wearing a mask when out in public, especially when riding on mass transit. Even when no one around is sick do I really want to inhale droplets of other people's saliva???

I may change my mind later but for now I'm thinking a mask has become part of my way of life, like wearing a seat belt. No big deal wearing it and if I were to get sick because I didn't wear it I'd really regret it.

I never realized that a simple mask could keep you from catching colds, flu, whatever. People cough and sneeze in public, often not covering their pie holes.
I like that we've all been taught to sneeze/cough/whatever into our hands, which we then touch everything in transit with said hands. I remember taking a mandatory class before working directly with people with developmental disabilities, and in that class, it was taught to sneeze into your elbow crease. You're not going to touch anything with your elbow crease. Lightbulb turns on.

During this idiocy....

tn_us-flag.gif

United States​

Coronavirus Cases: 81,012,955

Deaths: 987,615​

For me, wearing a mask is no big deal. Covid has taken friends and family. If masking only helps a tiny bit, that's enough for me.

IMHO, one should do everything one can to avoid getting Covid-19; masks, vaccinations, etc. Add layers of protection.

I have not worn a mask outdoors and only indoors when I was absolutely forced to and sometimes I would not go in to the store rather that wear a mask.
Once I learned that my mask doesn't protect others, I stopped wearing one unless It was required. We now know that masks protect the wearer, and only N95 style and the like are the only type that protect against Covid-19. Cloth masks and loosely worn masks dont do anything protect a person from Covid-19. Its like trying to stop dust with chicken wire. I have no issue with others wearing masks also, to each his own, but its finally time to get back normal.
And if the white house can remove restrictions right before the state of the union with everyone and the president in the building in close quarters without masks, then I think that says something.

Living in TX has allowed a lot of freedom when it comes to masking up. I work for a biotech company and talk weekly to our vaccine scientists. They give me the layman's explanation on articles I've been reading concerning COVID.

Once I learned that my mask doesn't protect others, I stopped wearing one unless It was required.
Whomever told you that or where you read it was totally misinformed! If you're a virus carrier and have an inadvertent sneeze in a crowded area, uncovered/unmasked you are going to infect some people.
Keep in mind, any number of us, for an indeterminate time, may have no Covid symptoms, feeling terrific, but carrying and capable of passing the virus to others.

Last edited:
Whomever told you that or where you read it was totally misinformed!
Haha, well yes and...no. Im not misinformed, that I know. But thats true of literally ANY virus or cold. So yes others could be infected if someone didnt cover up when they sneezed, of course. In normal circumstances it takes a minimum of 10 minutes of close breathing in an enclosed space on average to spread enough viral load of Sars COV-2 to infect another. Maybe less for Omicron of the "Omicold". So passing people in a grocery store or outside its very difficult, maybe impossible to get infected. In a normal circumstance sneezes and coughs aside, just walking around without a mask wont infect someone.
Keep in mind, any number of us, for an indeterminate time, may have no Covid symptoms, feeling terrific, but carrying and capable of passing the virus to others
Very true, vaccinated, unvaccinated, can both pass the virus on very easily, thats something we definitely learned in the past few months! Its no longer indeterminate, an infected person sheds the virus for an average of 2-10 days depending on how severe the illness.

ANY virus or cold. So yes others could be infected if someone didn't cover up when they sneezed, of course. In normal circumstances it takes a minimum of 10 minutes of close breathing in an enclosed space on average to spread enough viral load of Sars COV-2 to infect another. .
Normal circumstances? Let's get real. Any virus or cold is typically not as lethal or debilitating as Covid.
Minimum of close breathing, 10 minutes. That simply isn't factual when there is a cough or sneeze.
I try to follow the science as best as I am able. I'm on a team with the MN State Epidemiologist to determine what precautionary measures to take to keep an institution where I volunteer safe. Many volunteers are elderly, as I am myself, some immune impaired, as I also am because of Agent Orange. We work to be safe and stay healthy and alive and help others to remain healthy, as well.

I've not mentioned this previously, but here goes. Not long ago, a few weeks, actually, I was given two comp tickets to the MN Timberwolves NBA game. Ordinarily, I would not have gone to downtown Minneapolis at night, but I went with a friend whose office is downtown and he has a reserved parking spot in a garage not far from Target Center. We had great seats and as it turned out, I was seated directly next to one of the player's father. In the past year, he had lost his wife (a relatively young woman) and several family members to Covid. I expressed my condolences and remarked that I was also a widower. His words, not mine: "Given how lethal Covid can be, I really can't understand why some people aren't doing everything they can do to stop the spread. I hate wearing a mask, but I don't ever want to think I passed this curse on to anyone."

I guess I feel that way too. I don't like wearing a mask. The KN95s particularly irritate my face, but in most places where I go where masks are worn they stipulate KN95 or N95 (preferably). When I got on the plane in 1968 for Vietnam, I didn't expect to reach age 24. Here I am 54 years later and I'm really very thankful for the years I've had. I don't want to risk shortening an innocent person's life, by not masking when I'm around a lot of people.

Last edited:
Let's get real. Any virus or cold is typically not as lethal or debilitating as Covid.
Where did I mention this above? I dont see where I said a cold was as bad as Covid. By "normal circumstances" I meant walking through a supermarket or the like; somewhere out in public with a normal interaction with others.

Minimum of close breathing, 10 minutes. That simply isn't factual when there is a cough or sneeze.
Again, we are talking coughing or sneezing aside, and with most normal adults covering up during a sneeze, this isnt really a consideration.

because of Agent Orange
Thank you for your service!

I don't want to risk shortening an innocent person's life, by not masking when I'm around a lot of people.
Thats very noble, but again, your mask doesn't protect others, the wearers mask protects them (to a point). The CDC has said this and its even been on the not-so-reliable- CNN. And.......... eventually, we need to get back normal. Covid-19 isnt going anywhere, its going to be with us every winter in perpetuity. Every one will catch it at some point. There will sadly be some people who have been SO frightened by all of this that they will wear a mask for the rest of their lives. But for most, its not realistic. So where does it end in your opinion?

This is all very much another part of the problem. Other countries besides ours are following the science much closer, but instead in this country, for whatever reason, they are completely focused on vaccines and masks and NOTHING else. Since you are working closely with MN state epidemiologists, they surely now have mentioned therapeutics? The therapeutics are really what we should be focusing on right now because if there is one thing we've learned, we cannot effectively stop the spread of Covid-19. Locked down, mask mandates and more vaccinated people than ever over the winter and we had the highest spike of cases ever during the pandemic, even the first spike, why do you supposed that is, if everyone has been masked and we have the highest vaccination rates ever?

Last edited:
Scallywag, I am not going to argue with you. You have a point of view with which I do not agree. Let us just close this thread.