I Wonder About People

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
My brother informed me today that he'd heard that the father of one of my high school friends had passed away at 104-years-old from causes related to Covid. Apparently, he was golfing in Florida with his younger son (72) when he said he felt weak. He was immediately admitted into a hospital and within a few days succumbed. I phoned my friend to offer condolences and was surprised to hear how nonchalant my friend was regarding his father's death.
I never had parents as an adult. My mother died when I was nine and my father died when I was 18. My perspective certainly would be different than my friend.
He spoke: "Dad lived a full life. Before my mother died at 97, she told Dad to enjoy his remaining years. The business was good and when Dad decided to retire, sold the business for millions. Since Mom and Dad were in their late 80s, they maintained residences in three assisted living centers in MN, FL, and CA. It was a lot of money spent for very little. Sometimes, they barely spent a month in CA during a year, but paid for the year.
Now, my brother and I, our children and grandchildren will get to enjoy the remainder of my parents' assets.
My friend got to enjoy having a father for 76 years and there's no apparent sorrow at his passing. I should add that my friend is a retired physician. Perhaps, his perspective on death isn't that of a son, but of an MD?

Both interesting, and yet, sad.

After our own "Great Translation".... 50 years later, no one will remember who or what we were in life........

After our own "Great Translation".... 50 years later, no one will remember who or what we were in life........
My maternal grandmother died almost 70 years ago, my mother 67 years ago, paternal grandmother 61 years ago, and my father 58 years ago. Their descendants, including me, can tell innumerable stories about their lives. In 50 years my grandchildren will be 56, 54, and 51. I'm certain they'll have many tales to tell about me.

My brother informed me today that he'd heard that the father of one of my high school friends had passed away at 104-years-old from causes related to Covid. Apparently, he was golfing in Florida with his younger son (72) when he said he felt weak. He was immediately admitted into a hospital and within a few days succumbed. I phoned my friend to offer condolences and was surprised to hear how nonchalant my friend was regarding his father's death.
I never had parents as an adult. My mother died when I was nine and my father died when I was 18. My perspective certainly would be different than my friend.
He spoke: "Dad lived a full life. Before my mother died at 97, she told Dad to enjoy his remaining years. The business was good and when Dad decided to retire, sold the business for millions. Since Mom and Dad were in their late 80s, they maintained residences in three assisted living centers in MN, FL, and CA. It was a lot of money spent for very little. Sometimes, they barely spent a month in CA during a year, but paid for the year.
Now, my brother and I, our children and grandchildren will get to enjoy the remainder of my parents' assets.
My friend got to enjoy having a father for 76 years and there's no apparent sorrow at his passing. I should add that my friend is a retired physician. Perhaps, his perspective on death isn't that of a son, but of an MD?
You answered your own question it seems sir. People have never surprised me much and I tend not to want to be around them because of it.
After 60 some years people have taught me a lesson I will never forget and sadly will probably never forgive. Most (not all) are so self-centered
they can't see over their own noses. And when they do show some sort of compassion it's usually because it benefits them in some way.
Yes, I'm a hermit and a Luddite.

104 years is a long time. I'm not sure I will want to live that long. But, ask me again when I turn 103!