Ice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

Reaction score
What the heck causes this to happen?

ice510.jpg

If it weren't for brussel sprouts we wouldn't have no Belgians. :afro:

I worked in an ice factory in Texas as a teenager. Usually items like this are caused by a sudden temp change just as the ice is forming. It causes the surface of the cube to crack as the super chilled water suddenly turns to solid ice. There are vids on Youtube that go into the actual physics of what happened its usually super cooled beer turning instantly to ice by hitting the bottle. The little chunk sticking up is simply because there was no bottle to contain it.

Jim

I've made a lot of ice cubes in my years.
Never seen this phenomenon in any other freezer.
It happens once in a while, but not that often.
They vary in thickness, length and angle.

Condensation created by a slight leak in the seal of the freezer door and air bubbles in the ice that pop when the cubes reach a certain temp. They pop, in a frozen state. Or high levels of chlorine in your tap water at the time and that also may pop when a specific temperature is reached, causing the stalagmite creation, some type of chemical reaction. Just a theory not a fact, only things I can think of this early in the morning with lack of sleep!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!