?Identifying amber stems?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog Bruce

Reaction score
A friend of mine, cigar smoker, has decided to try the pipe. He hopped on ebay and bought a 'well used old meer'. Came in today, and he gave me a call, gonna sample him some tobac. that I recieved in the same fashion. Anyways, he says "I may have got took, this pipe looks like well aged wood". I asked him if it had any grain, and he said naw, just a few nicks. :lol: :lol: :lol: . Anyway, he described the stem as dark rootbeer that you can kind of see through. How do we tell if its vulcanite or amber, anybody have a clue? Of course, we don't want to damage or discolor it

Thanks in advance

Bd

Never Forget!

Only way I know is to stick it with a hot pin and smell it. If it smell like plastic it is, if it smells like pine it isn't. Probably not the way he wants to go though. :lol:

There's something about static electricity and amber, but I can't remember what it is.

Rad

Rub it with a cloth a few times. If it will pick up dust/lint/ashes, it's amber.

Amber will also be glassy hard. Brittle.