If there's anything better than this, I don't want to know.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Lowry

Reaction score
Grousemoor in a corncob-- specifically, a 40-year-old Country Gentleman that my father used to smoke while fly-fishing. This sucker is seasoned, I tells ya.

I'll take your word about that, will try it for myself and not recommend anything else!! And I do have some OLD cobs. :D 

I couldn't agree more! My cob isn't very old but it loves Grousemoor as well, and I love the cobwarden/Grousemoor combo very much.

There's nothing better than finding a magic pairing. I don't have a 40-year old cob, but I've got one that's fairly well-seasoned. I can't wait to give it a go.

Here's my OLD cob and one of my favorites. I don't know who made the pipe but it has a nice maple plugged bottom and a Bakelite stem with a Button Bit. A High Grade Cob!!!!!!! :lol!: 

docwatson":y07n5ad2 said:
Here's my OLD cob and one of my favorites. I don't know who made the pipe but it has a nice maple plugged bottom and a Bakelite stem with a Button Bit. A High Grade Cob!!!!!!! :lol!: 

Andy, that is just too cool. I've never seen a bulldog cob before, banded and everything. I wonder how long these were made? Is this a Missouri Meerschaum? Is there any way to tell what it is?

Neill,
Thanks for the comment, but I cannot tell who made this BullCob. I can only assume that it is an early 1930's or 1940's Cob because of the Bakelite stem and even earlier because of the Button Bit. The tenon in the stem is actually aluminum and there are no markings anywhere. I guess I'll have to do some more research.

Love that cob, Doc. Very handsome looking, bet it smokes like a dream.

Better than Grousemoor in a cob? Perhaps G&H Grasmere Flake in a cob. Anyway that's my favorite of the scented Lakeland stuff. But we all know what opinions are like.:lol:  And yes, finding that perfect synergistic tobacco/pipe pairing is awesome indeed.

Cool Bull-Cob too! :D

Apparently I am a Philistine. Tobacco X always tastes the same no matter what I smoke it in; ditto tobacco Y. The guys who say that Castello briar tastes like this and the famed Algerian briar of WW II vintage tastes like that might as well be speaking Venusian. Now before anyone takes umbrage at these statements I should say that I do not doubt that these tastes are present and available to these smokers. But I'm not one of them. There are even guys who say that cobs taste like corn, which although straightforwardly logical, is yet another taste experience that I consistently fail to have.:confused: 

BTW, that bulldog cob is a lovely classic!

Well, AB, not sure if I am a Philistine but nobody can accuse me of having my taste all in my mouth either. I mix pipes and blends with abandon. The only pipe I have experienced a difference with is a Meerschaum that flattens English blends. I have tasted corn in a cob but it was brief/transient. Pipe smoking seems to be the prime example of empirical.

Thanks for the comments on the bulldog cob guys. And like JKenP I also mix pipes and blends with abandon!! Well said JKP.

I have one that is bent and is by MM, the model is Radio as so stated on the label on the diamond shank, great smoker and I too love Grousemoor in a well seasoned cob

Andy that is the coolest cob I've ever seen, Ready to sell it LOL