If Vacuum Sealing Stops Aging Does It Stop Lat Degradation?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
So I think the general consensus is that vacuum sealing tobacco basically stops the ageing process, or at least slows it to an extreme crawl. Also I believe that latakia degrades after peaking in 5-7 or so. SO, if vacuum sealing basically stops the ageing process would that also stop latakia from degrading as well? Giving that in my lifetime tobacco is probably be just about outlawed in this country and I mostly smoke latakia blends at some point acquiring enough tobacco to last me will be necessary. Assuming I make it as long as my grandparents I still have over 50 years to go. So, if latakia was vacuum seal in glass, how long could it stay viable. :scratch:

Not that I'm assuming I know anything but, if vacuum sealing stops and or slows down the aging process than would someone like to explain to me how tobacco ages in it's (unopened) tin, which is vacuum sealed BTW? :scratch:

Vacuum sealing is less effective than tinning or jarring because it is less impervious to outside atmosphere. In other words, plastic is not as airtight as metal or glass over the long haul. Also, no form of storage prevents aging or change in the tobacco, as both aerobic and anaerobic change eventually takes place. Bottom line, you have 10 to 12 years before noticeable decline begins take place even in the best scenarios. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

MisterE":hucobius said:
So those tins of Murray's Era Nightcap, SM Mild and Medium, and 965 in my cellar are crap now?
No, but you'll notice a difference. I've yet to smoke any tobacco a dozen years old or more and not notice a certain weakness in it.

ZeroContent":16ychqp1 said:
Giving that in my lifetime tobacco is probably be just about outlawed in this country and I mostly smoke latakia blends at some point acquiring enough tobacco to last me will be necessary.  
I don't think tobacco will ever be outlawed but in time I can see more and more employers going tobacco free or make your health insurance so expensive you have to quit. I was contracted to a tobacco free company that would not hire smokers. One guy told me he got randomly screened at least 4 times a year.
This might be of interest to you. http://www.glpease.com/Articles/vacuum.html :shock:

Puff Daddy":cnwi2llv said:
Vacuum sealing is less effective than tinning or jarring because it is less impervious to outside atmosphere. In other words, plastic is not as airtight as metal or glass over the long haul. Also, no form of storage prevents aging or change in the tobacco, as both aerobic and anaerobic change eventually takes place. Bottom line, you have 10 to 12 years before noticeable decline begins take place even in the best scenarios. Sorry, but that's just how it is.
I've read various GL Pease articles and the general consensus from those articles/interviews is Virginia's get better and better no matter how long they age with the most noticeable change occurring in the first 5-6 years.

Is this not true?

My experience is that Latakia blends do mellow over time, whether or not they are vacuum sealed or not, but it may be the other constituents accept the flavours and the raw power of it is lost. Maybe if just Latakia alone is stored it may keep it's potency?

Puff Daddy":es00g78p said:
I think you missed my part of the post that said "in glass".

daveinlax":es00g78p said:
ZeroContent":es00g78p said:
Giving that in my lifetime tobacco is probably be just about outlawed in this country and I mostly smoke latakia blends at some point acquiring enough tobacco to last me will be necessary.  
I don't think tobacco will ever be outlawed but in time I can see more and more employers  going tobacco free or make your health insurance so expensive you have to quit. I was contracted to a tobacco free company that would not hire smokers. One guy told me he got randomly screened at least 4 times a year.
This might be of interest to you. http://www.glpease.com/Articles/vacuum.html :shock:
Who knows.  Currently Obamacare made it illegal to charge more that 1.5x the rate of a non-tobacco user.  It also defined a tobacco user as anyone who uses tobacco 4 or more times a week.  So technically, according to current law, I am not a tobacco user since I smoke maybe every other day.

The GL Pease article was what I was basing my question on.  Point number 3:

"3. Evacuated mason jars. Tobacco was practically unchanged from the day it was packed. Minor aging only. Different from the plastic-aged samples but (IMO) no worse or better. Note that if you are quick on the switch with the Tilia, you might be able to create jars with only a mild vacuum seal. This would more closely resemble professional "vacuum-packed" tins and might work very well."

So, sounds like the way to preserve the longest would be to fully vacuum seal in jars.  As mentioned the tins that are vacuum sealed are only a light vacuum so that is why they still age.

ZeroContent":qoytb488 said:
Puff Daddy":qoytb488 said:
I think you missed my part of the post that said "in glass".

daveinlax":qoytb488 said:
ZeroContent":qoytb488 said:
I don't think tobacco will ever be outlawed but in time I can see more and more employers  going tobacco free or make your health insurance so expensive you have to quit. I was contracted to a tobacco free company that would not hire smokers. One guy told me he got randomly screened at least 4 times a year.
Who knows.  Currently Obamacare made it illegal to charge more that 1.5x the rate of a non-tobacco user.  It also defined a tobacco user as anyone who uses tobacco 4 or more times a week.  So technically, according to current law, I am not a tobacco user since I smoke maybe every other day.

The GL Pease article was what I was basing my question on.  Point number 3:

"3. Evacuated mason jars. Tobacco was practically unchanged from the day it was packed. Minor aging only. Different from the plastic-aged samples but (IMO) no worse or better. Note that if you are quick on the switch with the Tilia, you might be able to create jars with only a mild vacuum seal. This would more closely resemble professional "vacuum-packed" tins and might work very well."

So, sounds like the way to preserve the longest would be to fully vacuum seal in jars.  As mentioned the tins that are vacuum sealed are only a light vacuum so that is why they still age.
I am by no means an expert, but I was under the impression the best place to age your tobacco is in the tin and the second best place is jars. The aging will take place no matter where you are storing your tobacco for the long haul.

ZeroContent":cfgua5xw said:
Who knows.  Currently Obamacare made it illegal to charge more that 1.5x the rate of a non-tobacco user.  
I don't know of a single company interpreting it so.. My ex-company, and the others I have spoken to, double and triple the cost.. They do so by claiming the 1.5 x limit is on the insurance side, not what the employee may be charged by the employer.

ie: I paid $20 for Bluecross for myself, the boss lady claimed she paid the rest. A tobacco user had to pay $65 per week for the same coverage. The $45 is Supposedly the difference of the added 50%.

I call bullshit but it isn't pertinent to the argument. The company said they would need to nicotine test me when I returned to work..(they fired me a month later for being unable to perform my duties..)

puros_bran":ekmtkyck said:
ZeroContent":ekmtkyck said:
Who knows.  Currently Obamacare made it illegal to charge more that 1.5x the rate of a non-tobacco user.  
I don't know of a single company interpreting it so.. My ex-company, and the others I have spoken to, double and triple the cost.. They do so by claiming the 1.5 x limit is on the insurance side, not what the employee may be charged by the employer.

ie:  I paid $20 for Bluecross for myself, the boss lady claimed she paid the rest. A tobacco user had to pay $65 per week for the same coverage. The $45 is Supposedly the difference of the added 50%.

I call bullshit but it isn't pertinent to the argument.  The company said they would need to nicotine test me when I returned to work..(they fired me a month later for being unable to perform my duties..)
It went into effect 2015 so wascit before 2015?

Latakia does not age well - it does not hold its strength or depth of aroma or flavor. smoked a 40 yr old bengal slices tin and it was nice to have tried it but the whole tobacco was nothing like when it was fresh.

probably 3-4 yrs ideal some say maybe 7 but it becomes so tame you won't notice the latakia. I am a Lat fiend and i do know that much.

yunusmeer":p3xbbdgl said:
Latakia does not age well - it does not hold its strength or depth of aroma or flavor.  smoked a 40 yr old bengal slices tin and it was nice to have tried it but the whole tobacco was nothing like when it was fresh.

probably 3-4 yrs ideal some say maybe 7 but it becomes so tame you won't notice the latakia.  I am a Lat fiend and i do know that much.
I think you're missing my question that if vacuum sealed in glass would it extend that time.

According to GLP, tobacco stored in a vacuum seal glass jar showed little signs of ageing after 3 years which sounds to me like at least a 20% ageing speed over 3 years. At that rate it would take 15 years in the vacuum jar to reach the age of a tobacco just put into the jar like normal for 3 years. If lat peaks in 7 years before it starts heading downhill and assuming acceptable quality at 10. Doing out that math, theoretically a lat blend could be be smokeable for 50 years if vacuum sealed in glass, of course, assuming you could maintain the vacuum on the jar. I'm curious if all the assumptions could actually hold true.

ZeroContent":g40jigcu said:
yunusmeer":g40jigcu said:
Latakia does not age well - it does not hold its strength or depth of aroma or flavor.  smoked a 40 yr old bengal slices tin and it was nice to have tried it but the whole tobacco was nothing like when it was fresh.

probably 3-4 yrs ideal some say maybe 7 but it becomes so tame you won't notice the latakia.  I am a Lat fiend and i do know that much.
I think you're missing my question that if vacuum sealed in glass would it extend that time.

According to GLP, tobacco stored in a vacuum seal glass jar showed little signs of ageing after 3 years which sounds to me like at least a 20% ageing speed over 3 years.  At that rate it would take 15 years in the vacuum jar to reach the age of a tobacco just put into the jar like normal for 3 years.  If lat peaks in 7 years before it starts heading downhill and assuming acceptable quality at 10.  Doing out that math, theoretically a lat blend could be be smokeable for 50 years if vacuum sealed in glass, of course, assuming you could maintain the vacuum on the jar.  I'm curious if all the assumptions could actually hold true.
I think you're missing the point that it's going to age regardless. Those first 5 years are going to age the most, then the natural aging process will slow down, it's not the vacuum sealed jars that slow the aging down.... at least that's how I interpret the process.

what 5 years are you talking about? The experiment from the article was 3 years in different storage methods. In a vacuum seal jar basically no ageing occurred.

Aging and change does occur. There is no such thing as a way to preserve tobacco so that it will not change at all over anything other than a short time. I have cracked tins of McClelland virginia tobacco that are fresh, have several years and have as much as 20 years. Noticeable change takes place by at least the 5 year mark, mild degredation at about a dozen years. The sweet spot for aging seems to be between 5 and 10 years. You can vacuum seal a vacuum sealed tin or jar and it won't stop or even slow the aging process at all. You're getting honest firsthand experiences from several people, it's the truth. The only way to have good smokeable tobacco 40 years from now is if they're still making tobacco 25 years from now.