If Vacuum Sealing Stops Aging Does It Stop Lat Degradation?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You wouldn't want to vacuum seal tobacco for any great length of time anyway. Eventually, and even sooner than you'd think, the plastic would react and leech into the tobacco, not lending anything positive to the flavor.

it all degrades. Lat sooner than many people think. keep in original tin. I have a small mason jar and when i open up 8 oz gaslight 2 sticks go in one jar for daily use and the rest go in another. i take 2 bricks out at a time and restock the empty 8 oz one with another when needed - the new tobacco stays in tins as is till needed.

also yes the ageing stops when you open it - you can get a secondary ageing thing happening but that is not anywhere near the unopened tin. also - for people that jsr for long periods the air messes with it just like in a bottle of wine. or even single malt.

This is the never-ending debate. Always interesting to hear, though. I take the word of GWP as gospel. My personal experience with tins of 2001 EMP, 965 and Old Dublin is that they tend to get flat after five years. However, even after that they can be resurrected with a little carefully done rehydrating and transfer from tin to glass for a couple of weeks. I also have the Dunhill blends that were bought in bulk in 2001, then immediately moved to vacuum sealed Mason jars. These can be smoked right out of the jar and smoked to great satisfaction. I just had a bowl of 15-year-old EMP in a 50-year-old Mountbatten Prince and it was a rich, tasty smoke. Would it have been better five years ago? Ten? I don't see how as I sit enjoying the smokey, slightly sweet aftertaste. I think tobacco likes to be aged in a cool, dark place. And you have to begin with good stuff. Poor quality leaf isn't going to get better than it was. Another way to restore an aged tin is to mix it with some of the modern version and let it sit for a bit. Well, that's my .02 FWIW.