If you had to . . . .

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cartaphilus":2981rl2w said:
LordTemplar":2981rl2w said:
Cartaphilus":2981rl2w said:
I'd start searching the pasture.
If your into fecal “tobacco” then you should try goat dung.  It is more dry and easier to pack, so I have been told, then cow “tobacco”  :lol!: :lol!: 
We don't do goats in this part of the country. :suspect:
And lets not make this into something disgusting, it's been a long time since I've done any stump roping and they let me go with just a fine.  
Just joking brother.

American OTCs, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Kentucky Club, but I likely wouldn't smoke as often. Now, if I could get British OTCs, I could happily live with St Bruno, Condor, and Revor, with some Irish (Maltan, Velvan) every once in a while.

DrT999":gsw6stho said:
Now, if I could get British OTCs, I could happily live with St Bruno, Condor, and Revor
Agreed. Brit OTC's are quite a different animal. Heck, Golden Sliced is sold in a pouch on the other side of the pond. I would be perfectly content with that.

I could do fine with CH or Granger. I would smoke more of them now if the pricing were better. The bulk prices on PS for example are quite good, and they have lots out there I like more than CH or Granger. Many C&D blends are good enough for me to justify the extra cost. Other things I try, but I am not going to smoke something tinned that works out to $100 a pound with any frequency. It is like fancy restaurants. You go out every now and then to celebrate a special occasion. I am more likely to have a couple of yogurts and a bagel at my desk for lunch as a regular thing.

This will probably be met with howls of derisive laughter, but after my charity case came in and I tried some of the bulk ~$1/oz I got him, I found this quite smokable. Since then I have gotten $1.29 pouches of Largo Natural and Smoker's Pride Rich. I like these more than Prince Albert. In terms of enjoyment per smoking $, they are way up there. If either of these were all I had, I would smoke them a lot. They are available in every Low Bob's.

Puff Daddy":oz79i0wl said:
Brewdude":oz79i0wl said:
Revor plug
St Bruno flake/ready rubbed
Warrior plug
Where does one obtain these in the states anyhow?
Alas, they aren't.  :(  As far as I know, the only way to get them here is from Mr Snuff in Northern Ireland, which ain't cheap (but I think they are worth it)

Carter Hall if I had to choose only one.  I happen to like OTCs; it's just that they aren't as satisfying in many respects as the top shelf stuff.  They seem incredibly mild to me, which suggests a reason why they might be mentioned only with a snicker on forums such as this.  Pipe smoking has changed in the last half century.  When it's done, it's done with less frequency, due to laws and the attitude of the herd.  When a smoker does light up, he wants to make it pay and to get slammed with richness in the form of nicotine or flavor or both.  Contrast that with days of yore, when many pipe smokers chain smoked.  If I were limited to only one or two bowls a day, there's no way an OTC would satisfy, once you've tasted the good stuff.  Anyhow, just a hypothesis.

On the other hand, I believe that somewhere on this forum John Patton mentions that, in effect, the "inferior" quality of OTCs is overstated.  I agree.  It helps if one is a burley fiend, such as myself, and not one of those hoity-toity virginia lovers, who smoke with pinky finger extended, walk with a mince, and rest their pipes on doilys.

LordTemplar":3ua37m2h said:
Cartaphilus":3ua37m2h said:
LordTemplar":3ua37m2h said:
Cartaphilus":3ua37m2h said:
If your into fecal “tobacco” then you should try goat dung.  It is more dry and easier to pack, so I have been told, then cow “tobacco”  :lol!: :lol!: 
And lets not make this into something disgusting, it's been a long time since I've done any stump roping and they let me go with just a fine.  
Just joking brother.
I know you was, and so was I.............I not only had to pay a fine but, I'm a registered goat offender now.

Cartaphilus":zyvt18g0 said:
LordTemplar":zyvt18g0 said:
LordTemplar":zyvt18g0 said:
Just joking brother.
I know you was, and so was I.............I not only had to pay a fine but, I'm a registered goat offender now.
so you have to stay at least 50 feet away from all goats, especially the kids?  :clown: 

I've started something now haven't I  :fpalm: 

Richard Burley":4e1c0nev said:
 Pipe smoking has changed in the last half century.  When it's done, it's done with less frequency, due to laws and the attitude of the herd.  When a smoker does light up, he wants to make it pay and to get slammed with richness in the form of nicotine or flavor or both.  Contrast that with days of yore, when many pipe smokers chain smoked.  If I were limited to only one or two bowls a day, there's no way an OTC would satisfy, once you've tasted the good stuff.
This identifies the real issue I claim. Smoking habits have changed and OTC blends are not so well suited to them...

Cartaphilus":xoag2zks said:
LordTemplar":xoag2zks said:
LordTemplar":xoag2zks said:
Just joking brother.
Guffaw!!!!!

Cartaphilus":idvb11c9 said:
I've started something now haven't I  :fpalm: 
Maybe they'll change your moniker to Goataphilus, the wandering ewe  :lol: 

DrT999":sjbdvay7 said:
Puff Daddy":sjbdvay7 said:
Brewdude":sjbdvay7 said:
Revor plug
St Bruno flake/ready rubbed
Warrior plug
Where does one obtain these in the states anyhow?
Alas, they aren't.  :(  As far as I know, the only way to get them here is from Mr Snuff in Northern Ireland, which ain't cheap (but I think they are worth it)
Yes this.

Plus I have UK mates that visit me from time to time, and I also visit them.

Cheers,

RR

US drugstore-newsstand fare ?

Probably quit pipes & take up cigars. :twisted: 

:face: 

Yak":uwsuzqqp said:
US drugstore-newsstand fare ?

Probably quit pipes & take up cigars.  :twisted: 

:face: 
well what if you could only get gas station cigars?