If you were a Veteran you started here whats your story

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acaciavet

Reaction score
Its been 43 years for me the **** were the DI key word.Cleaned original up for the ladies

Dear Coast Guard
43 years ago today I started my adventure, when the recruiter arrived at my house at 0900 to pick me and my two friends up to give us a ride to Cleveland Ohio and the Airport. It was an adventure and we were all smiles and excited no fears or homesickness yet. Me and the boys thought heck nine weeks of camp life how bad can it be?

Well we arrived at a Restaurant in Cape May a little Pizzeria with our instructions to call this phone number. Well we noticed more young fellas arriving and soon a guy in uniform arrived with a lot of stripes a red agitate and a swagger stick and he was not Father Murphy all of you A holes that joined my Coast Guard get on that ******* bus and shut your ******* mouth. As all of you know this was just the beginning of the fun and the night was sheer terror. Push ups and the sentence of the night asked you was always “What the **** are looking at” Give me 20!

The next morning they fed us and the nine week guys serving told us they are forming companies tomorrow you better pray that you don’t end up with BM1 Turner. Well gentleman, I did end up with BM1 Turner as the Bad Cop and Chief Ladd as the Good Cop and BM1 Turner was one bad ass SOB that when it was all said and done I am glad I served under him. Thanks Boats for turning a scared Kid in to A Man.

Today this 61 year old still:
{1} Loves Captain Crunch Cereal

{2} when I leave a sales meeting always says to the folks “Smoke em if ya got em”

{3} The words Clown and Grinder does not mean the same to me as it does a non Coasty

{4} A door is a hatch, A wall is a Bulk Head, and I walk on the Deck.

{5} Has the shiniest shoes in the company. A little water and Kiwi amazeing.

{6} When I am at a store and my wife says give me 20 I start doing pushups.

All Kidding aside I thank you Coast Guard for the education and the Privilege to serve with some of the finest men in the world. The Only mistake I made was 39 years ago today I took those discharge papers.

Semper Paratus

Former BM3 C.H. Goodspeed

Started Golf 70 September 4, 1967

Left CGC Acacia Sept 4 1971

Brought back memories.. I was in the U.S. Navy for 20 years before retiring and I still remember my DIs. I actually had fun in boot camp.. back when it was in Florida.. We actually had girls there with us.. what a hoot.

You never would have figured it but the first year I spent at sea many of the things we learned were actually used.. especially the ability to function without too much sleep. I worked 8 months 12 on 12 off (about 4 hours of sleep a day) hated coffee when I left, started drinking a litte coffee with a lot of milk and left drinking it black..

Love it to this day. The last ship I was on.... The USS John Hancock had the smoke deck in the starboard break and every time I'd pop in there to light a bowl you could smell the tobacco all through the lower deck since they left the hatch open most of the time. One chief smoked a pipe and we used to swap tobacco every once in a while.

Nothing like watching the sun set or rise on the open ocean.

Fair winds and following seas shipmate

James

I was in the Marine Corps.

I still look for land mines before walking on grass (just a habit more than anything) and I still try and stay in step with the boss man at work when walking with him.

Oh...and i havent been to the bathroom in years.....I always go to the head. Just a few...My wife and friends will tell you that I still have many military quirks..(if that is a good way to put it)

Good thread. On 4 Sep 1968 (forty-two years ago yesterday!), I enlisted in the United States Air Force. Twenty five years later, on 31 Oct 1993, I retired as a Lt. Colonel. The trip in between was a hoot!!!!

There are two types of airplanes....Fighters.....and targets!!!!! As you were, gentlemen!!! FTRPLT

Can't say it was much of a career.....
New York Guard (aka NYS Organized & Regulated Militia) / Sgt E-5 w/ 2nd. / 56th Internal Security Brigade / Hudson Valley Region aka "Military Police" (not really, but that's as close as we got to it.)
also doesn't count but I was a D.O.D. (Civilian) Police Officer at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD for the blink of an eye :p

FTRPIOLOT and Dover Pipes thanks for your service. And Dover dont short change yourself well done all.

I was in the last batch of draftees.
I have to confess, my "service" was rather
a waste of time for me and the Army.

As someone who did not serve in the armed forces, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for those who did and are currently. Thank you, Brothers!

Hermit You did your duty and for that I thank you.Go down to the American Legion and have a beer with a whole bunch of fine fellows who got drafted.Thanks for your service.

Nitschke066":v748mhvh said:
As someone who did not serve in the armed forces, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for those who did and are currently. Thank you, Brothers!

Thank you kind sir.

Five years in the Navy, got out as an HM2 having been stationed in the hospital at NAS Keflavik, Iceland and as the squadron corpsman for VFA-25 in Lemoore California. Did one Westpac on the USS John C. Stennis with the squadron. I love the memories and a few times year I get this odd itch to check out officer programs and consider going back in. Probably won't happen though.

I certainly remember bootcamp, it wasn't that bad. Of course, that is with ten years to have wiped out the bad memories and just remember the interesting parts and the friends I made. I had a couple of really good RDCs (Recruit Division Commanders). I was at boot camp during the diputed 2000 election and I remember asking AD1 Rahman sometime in late November if anyone had won the election yet. He yelled, "Yeah, I did! Now drop and give me 30 for asking a stupid question!" I could barely do the pushups because I was laughing so hard!

Lupulus go for it man,and thank you for your service.At 61 my options are gone. :cheers: