I'll probably never understand....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started smoking a pipe I would smoke upwards of 3 - 5 bowls a day. Looking back now, I wonder if that was just to "qualify" as a real pipe smoker. :lol:

Now I smoke maybe 3 - 5 bowls a week. Sometimes I will pack a bowl of Carter Hall or something and go work outside and that bowl will last me several hours as I light it, have a puff or two, set it down and come back to it in a while. I also think it helps me that I am no longer on an endless search for that perfect pipe weed. I pretty much exist in the burley realm now as it just suits me.

Regardless, I never enjoyed pipe smoking then as much as I do now.

Zeno Marx — I recall the same report from the surgeon general. I think it was quoted in a pamphlet I received in an order from Iwan Reis. I also recall the report touched off the “2nd hand smoke” business. If 8-10 bowls was a safe ration, why all the fuss? The contrived answer was that there is no safe dose, because of the mortal dangers from second hand smoke. This answer still seems like a made-up crock to me, even though I choose not to smoke in the house.

Right now I'm at anywhere between 3 and 6 bowls a day, depending, which is still better than inhaling 15-20 cigarettes a day. I suspect my pipes will decrease once the novelty wears off, but for now I'm enjoying it, experimenting with new tobaccos and methods and all. It is certainly more involved than simply plucking a coffin nail from a cardboard box and lighting it, but that's part of the fun. Even so, given that it's time-consuming both to prep a bowl and smoke one thoroughly, it doesn't come to me as easily as cigarettes did.

I still occasionally inhale on my pipe, but 95% of the time, I merely sip it. Sometimes I pack a quarter-bowl, or a half-bowl, sometimes I pack a full one but don't smoke it all the way, and so on. It's hard to say just how many bowls I go through, but I've gone through my last ounce of Cavendish in about two weeks.