I'll probably never understand....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I like it. Also, relaxation has a health value.

Now there's a fact for sure..

KevinM":h2qnymm0 said:
Also, relaxation has a health value.
That was something I also pointed out, glad I'm NOT the only one!! It definitely relaxes me and keeps my blood pressure in check. Proved to doctors when I was last hospitalized. High BP in the hospital until I enjoyed a bowl in their courtyard. Once back in my room I was hooked back up to the monitors and I still remember a nurse telling me " seems your BP is much better and your meds are working now "! I said " it's not the meds, it was the pipe I just finished outside "! She was flabbergasted....lol.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Whew! Glad that this thread was started and replied to with so many different opinions. I thought that I was the only person who smokes maybe 1-2 times a day! When I started back on the pipe after a 20 year hiatus, I went on a 3-6 bowl per day bender to try and "discover" what I liked. The only thing I discovered was tongue bite, dry mouth and a quickly dulled set of taste buds.

Since then, I know what I like. And now what I like is to take a break once and awhile so that I can "appreciate" the one or maximum two bowls per day average that I do smoke.

Whatever your rate of consumption, happy piping.

Lonecoyote":a5t58kgg said:
KevinM":a5t58kgg said:
Also, relaxation has a health value.
That was something I also pointed out, glad I'm NOT the only one!! It definitely relaxes me and keeps my blood pressure in check. Proved to doctors when I was last hospitalized. High BP in the hospital until I enjoyed a bowl in their courtyard. Once back in my room I was hooked back up to the monitors and I still remember a nurse telling me " seems your BP is much better and your meds are working now "! I said " it's not the meds, it was the pipe I just finished outside "! She was flabbergasted....lol.
My memory could not be serving me well here, but I believe the Surgeon General released a report in the 60s about cigars and pipes that claimed up to 10 per day could be of healthy benefit because of the relaxation element. Now, whether that was biased by outside factors like the tobacco industry or whonot, I do not know. I could also be making the entire thing up. I thought I heard something to that effect when I just first started smoking a pipe.

As I said earlier, even if coming out of habit, and not directly out of pure pleasure and leisure, an inherent element of most habits is an aspect of relaxation or stress relief or some psychological coping process with a positive constituent. I've always found it interesting how many things we do in our day that are, at least in part, attempts to relieve stress or anxiety. A lot of us are in situations, or are by nature, where we find ourselves sensitive to stressors. Instinctually, we try to rid ourselves of those negative consequences. We really are basic animals, and our subconscious is busy.

KevinM":hr0wgyop said:
I do one or two bowls a day, and when I smoke I'm usually doing nothing else but that.  I smoke outside 99.9% of the time. The other .1% is on a breezy day when I light the pipe before going outside.  I'm sometimes also reading a book, but more often I'm just enjoying a slow smoke, chatting with whoever might happen by and pretending I can't hear various calls to help with tedious chores d:)  I've had many of my pipes for decades and remember the people I knew and what I was doing when I acquired them. The rabbits are so used to me out there they sometimes hop to within ten feet or so. Since I smoke slow, I often enjoy one match smokes. If a bowl gets bitter I dump it. So my tobacco hoard should last quite a while. I don't feel addicted to The Noxious Weed at all and, in Winter, have gone for weeks without smoking. My doc hollers, "If you can stop and do without so easily, why do you start up again!?" Because I like it. Also, relaxation has a health value.
I'm with you Kevin, almost word for word, however I only get to smoke ~3 bowls/week. Hectic lifestyle, rubbish British weather coupled with I only smoke outside, means my smoking is limited. But there are plus points to this. When I do get to smoke I really appreciate and savour the moment. And of course my 'baccy cellar lasts longer! :cheers: Interestingly, because I smoke so little my family recognise that when I do it is sacred 'me time' and know to not hassle me with the myriad of family needs that tend to normally follow me around.

So, yes, ~3bowls/week for me.

... an addition to my last post...

I'm fortunate enough to have a large garage half of which is slowly becoming dedicated to my man cave. To this end I have recently taken possession of an old beat up sofa that I'm able to watch the life of the 'shire go by from. In the last few days king fishers have been spotted by my neighbour so perhaps I'll be lucky enough to spot one of those.

To get to the point, now that I have the startings of a dedicated man cave, fingers crossed my weekly smoke count will start to go up.

Stick":dn7xarvl said:
... an addition to my last post...

I'm fortunate enough to have a large garage half of which is slowly becoming dedicated to my man cave.  To this end I have recently taken possession of an old beat up sofa that I'm able to watch the life of the 'shire go by from.  In the last few days king fishers have been spotted by my neighbour so perhaps I'll be lucky enough to spot one of those.

To get to the point, now that I have the startings of a dedicated man cave, fingers crossed my weekly smoke count will start to go up.
Please post some pics when you have time mate. Aren't you located opposite a pasture for bovine grazing? Sounds idyllic and just the ticket.

Cheers,

RR

I have to admit I'll probably never understand all this smoking outside. Except on a calm evening on my deck, I don't even like smoking outside. Too much breeze on the tobacco, makes it hotter. Nice comfortable evening in the living room, dining room or library makes for a great smoke.

im probly the only one that could smoke 10 boels of bulkan in a day. i smoke any where from 1 time to 10 times a day if im.wood working

Darn Stick! Only three bowls per week and they'd put me in Bedlam. Not sure if I could get by on three pipes per day. I understand your situation as explained but maybe after you get your man cave set up you can smoke in that and work your way up to at least two bowls per day provided you'll be home evenings. :)

AJ

Slowroll":oun34mp1 said:
I have to admit I'll  probably never understand all this smoking outside. Except on a calm evening on my deck, I don't  even like smoking outside. Too much breeze on the tobacco, makes it hotter. Nice comfortable evening in the living room, dining  room  or library makes for a  great smoke.
Alas, some of us just don't have that option! :(

DrT999":dr5nnce7 said:
Slowroll":dr5nnce7 said:
I have to admit I'll  probably never understand all this smoking outside. Except on a calm evening on my deck, I don't  even like smoking outside. Too much breeze on the tobacco, makes it hotter. Nice comfortable evening in the living room, dining  room  or library makes for a  great smoke.
Alas, some of us just don't have that option! :(
The Professor is right. Many cannot smoke in their homes or cars for a number of valid reasons such as other family members are allergic to smoke or they don't want the odor in their house or clothing. They may not want their walls and ceilings stained with tar and nicotine. I'm very fortunate to be able to smoke inside my home. Our AC system uses the same type of filter that hospitals use to remove, dust, smoke, and bacteria from their facilities and I also have a commercial grade air purifier with a HEPA filter along with ozone and ultra violet light options. I do this to reduce any second hand smoke hazard. These precautionary steps reduce the risk substantially but nothing reduces the risk in it's entirety. :)

AJ

Jeez, AJ,if I had to do all that I'd probably quit smoking or get a divorce. :shock: my only air filter is my nose hair. Hell, it's my house, if it gets tobacco tar on the ceiling, who cares. But, I'm a curmudgeon.

Slowroll":hwlxy7j4 said:
Jeez, AJ,if I had to do all that I'd  probably quit smoking or get a divorce. :shock:  my only air filter is my nose hair. Hell, it's my house, if it gets tobacco tar on the ceiling, who cares.  But, I'm a curmudgeon.  
I'm sitting here now laughing at your response. I agree with you totally about home ownership and the freedom of the owner to do as he pleases with his property. In my case I have a wife that I adore and have for over 47 years. We've been marrried for 45 of those years. Her comfort and well being is of great importance to me. She's not a big fan of the odor of pipe smoke regardless of type or blend, however she never complains and has given me pipes as gifts on certain occasions. Removing the offending smoke quickly from her presence is my attempt to show her how much she is appreciated. I subscribe to a filter service and once every three months a new filter arrives for my AC unit and every 6 months for the air purifier. Filters for the AC are only $22 with each shipment but the HEPA Filters cost a bit more. The AC is controlled by a thermostat and the air purifier has a remote control. There really isn't much hassle in pushing a button on the remote control twice a day. Once when I get up and then when we go to bed. She's worth the effort. :)

AJ

I'm with you AJ and we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this week!  

Whilst my wife often says 'do you fancy a smoke?' because she enjoys the smell of some blends in small quantities, she'd never tolerate it in the house. I both respect and agree with this.  As recently  discussed elsewhere I also believe that for someone like me who seems to spend much of their time tense and stressed, on balance smoking in moderation probably has health benefits. However, I don't believe this notion would extend to my young children, especially as their bodies are still developing. I just wouldn't want to take the risk.

And as for surviving on 3 or so bowls a week, I can tell you now they are pure bliss!  I never do anything else when I smoke, I just attend fully to each and every sup which is why I think I benefit from the process. I say process because I include the prep in this; baccy / pipe selection, drying, rubbing, packing etc. A couple more bowls wouldn't go amiss though ;)

And some of us live in apartments! Smoking outdoors is a bit hazardous for pipes, so I smoke cobs and meers much more often than I otherwise would. However, one building developed severe foundation problems, and is now mostly used for storage by the complex -- that gives me a nice walking area under a balcony with a 120 ft walkway.

My wife smokes cigarettes, so in a contest of aromas, I win, hands down. :p

I live a singular life ( been married 3 times and all three liked my pipes except for my Latakia blends. Said they smelt like garbage :twisted:  ) and have for the past 16 years so I smoke any where i want in my house except for my bedroom which is reserved for sleeping :twisted: .  Life is good !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":2ljcwkym said:
I live a singular life ( been married 3 times and all three liked my pipes except for my Latakia blends. Said they smelt like garbage :twisted:  ) and have for the past 16 years so I smoke any where i want in my house except for my bedroom which is reserved for sleeping :twisted: .  Life is good !! :twisted: :twisted:
For some reason, most women don't like latakia aromas. My first wife didn't either, but since she also didn't like airplanes, she became my ex. Current wife of 35 years also isn't too crazy about latakia, but since she smokes cigarettes, I've just always said "so you think cigarettes smell good?" So she stops complaining.

Slowroll":a58jh4wt said:
For some reason,  most women don't  like latakia aromas. My first wife didn't either, but since she also didn't like airplanes, she became my ex. Current wife of 35 years also isn't too crazy about latakia, but since she smokes cigarettes,  I've  just always said "so you think cigarettes smell good?" So she stops complaining.
Attaboy Slowrol! You tell'em! (Then duck and run for cover) :lol!:  Sorry ol' boy sometimes I just can't help it. :fpalm:

AJ