I'm a father...or...will be...not sure which...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeBrew

Reaction score
I posted this on another forum and thought I would post it here as well.

My wife and I found out Thursday afternoon that she is pregnant with our first child, finding this out has led me through odd strings of different emotions like having a large plate of different foods in front of you and eating a couple of bites from one, a couple from another, and so on. So, with this, I will probably have to quit smoking my pipe, per request of my wife, within the next 7 or 8 months. Why, you may be asking, well...I'm not completely sure I never smoke around her and would most certainly not smoke around the child, and I only smoke outside, but she has said that she'll want me to quit. The positive is she's not sure when she wants me to quit, yet. So, we'll see how this plays out, but be in prayer for us (including our baby).

In addition, my wife is 6 weeks, 1 day along, so when we went to the doctor, during the ultrasound, we got to hear the heartbeat. :)

Congratulations on the upcoming little one. What a great adventure you are about to start. Enjoy every minute of it because they do grow up quick. I still remember the day my son was born 20 short years ago. I smoked a pipe the whole time he was growing up with no ill affects to him or me.

Congrats on the baby. The first one is always the hardest since no instruction manuel come with it LOL. It is a true adventure but well worth it. Hope everything remains healthy. Stopping smoking for you is a personal choice in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide on and take plenty of pics. Like Mike said the grow up all too fast. :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

I have two sons, 27 and 25. Both were full time scholars and baseball/football players, and still play. Neither son smoke or ever wanted to smoke, apparently. I never stopped pipe smoking, saw no need to stop, just moderated my smoking in the car and around them in enclosed areas. I never had a pediatrician complain or issue any warnings to me. It seems to me that the birth of a child and your subsequent role in their growth and education shouldn't have any relationship to pipe-smoking other than your moderation when in their presence. Of course, every family has its own vision and decides its own direction.

morleysson":ftgxoarv said:
I have two sons, 27 and 25. Both were full time scholars and baseball/football players, and still play. Neither son smoke or ever wanted to smoke, apparently. I never stopped pipe smoking, saw no need to stop, just moderated my smoking in the car and around them in enclosed areas. I never had a pediatrician complain or issue any warnings to me. It seems to me that the birth of a child and your subsequent role in their growth and education shouldn't have any relationship to pipe-smoking other than your moderation when in their presence. Of course, every family has its own vision and decides its own direction.
Thats what I was trying to say. You said a lot better than I could, Thanks :sunny:

Congratulations Brew!

I am sure that what ever you decide concerning pipe smoking and the child, it will be the right decision.

My only advice is don't make any decisions that might lead to future unecessary resentment in your family.

I don't smoke around my punks,they have to have a chance to develop their lungs,you know.We quit smoking in the house altogether before Lena was born,about three years ago.
If Mary asked me to quit smoking,I don't know what I would do.That would be a tough call,she rarely asks me to modify ANY behavior.
Whatever you decide,congrats on the pregnancy-you will now learn to be a kinder,more understanding and patient man.Try not to ever roll your eyes or laugh,they can spot false concern a mile away,and that makes it all worse..... :lol:
Tony

Congrats on the news, Pipebrew! (The baby news, that is.) I started smoking a pipe shortly after my first one was born. My wife thought I had lost my mind since I had never smoked before, but I did it for me and she has been respectful of that. I only smoke outside or when otherwise away from the house. My pipes are displayed in the front room and my daughters are very aware of what they are. You know, you might find yourself in a situation where you don't have to give them up permanantly. Perhaps a hiatus on your part will appease your wife's whim for now and sooner or later she won't mind you lighting up in certain circumstances.

There is much to be said for the old saw, "If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy."

Even though my wife isn't a fan of pipesmoking she drew a very hard line on guns in the house. She tried to lay down the law that there would be no guns in the house with children. Well, I prevailed there. My guns are kept in appropriate places and in safe conditions but definitely in the house.

Best of luck! (With the baby, that is. :D )

showme

Showme tried to demand that there would be no smelly diapers and crying during the night in his house, but he gave up on that idea.

PipeBrew":njgl5a53 said:
My wife and I found out Thursday afternoon that she is pregnant with our first child
Congratulations! I had one of those a few years ago and life was never the same. Great joy.

PipeBrew":njgl5a53 said:
I will probably have to quit smoking my pipe
Bummer! But you have to do what you have to do. Good luck.

Congratulations Pipebrew,

Your lives will never be the same again... in a good way.

:D Paul

:cheers: Congratulations to you and your wife. :cheers:

Don't worry too much about the things that you are changing in your life right now. Enjoy the whole process of planning and nesting because it doesn't last very long. Also, it seems like the more supportive you are, the more freedom you acquire. Let your wife do her thing right now, and go with the flow.

When the baby comes, the two of you will spend more time parenting and less time planning. You will resume your normal human self and so will your wife. It's weird how these major life changing things work themselves out. There must be a master plan in our DNA.

Enjoy being a Dad. It's one of the greatest gifts you could ever get. :sunny: