I'm Back! (well, almost)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I started smoking a pipe in the mid-90's, completely out of the blue, maybe because I was in my 40's and a bird hunter and always considered myself a 19th century soul? Who knows, it happened. But then I STOPPED in the mid aughts (is that the right term for the 21st century? I'm saying around 2005 - 6). I had stockpiled a small collection of G L Pease (3 cans each of Barbary, Haddo's, Renaissance, Mephisto, Odyssey, and Samarra alon g with 3 100g cans of Dark Star, 3 100g cans of 2003 Christmas Cheer and the odd can of Bayou Morning Flake and the like. 2 cans of S G Perfection. You get the idea. Still got them.

Anyway, Equally out of the blue, about a month ago I started getting interested in "the pipe" again and buying up a whole bunch (maybe a dozen by now? I gotta stop!) off the Smokingpipes.com site and a lot of old favorite tobacco and a who9le lot of new ones I never tried.

I can tell you right now my favorite from the old days was MacBaren Navy Flake. Period.

Anyway, I live in Western Massachusetts, the weather was unbelievably warm up until New Year's eve and then BANG! Winter. I've had a chance to smoke one of my new pipes once, walking my dog as I do in the woods every morning. Cold or no cold I HAD to try it out again. Haddo's Delight. Well, brothers, you may as well have shot me up with every street drug in the world. By the time I made it back to my car I was a goner. I somehow made the 10 mile drive back to my house, got upstairs and laid down for a couple, few hours until I came back down to earth.

Needless to say, that is NOT how I remember Haddo's Delight! Just not used to it I brilliantly deduced. When the weather gets warmer and I start up calmly, immobile and intelligently I'm going to start out with my favorite VA Flakes.

I should also mention that I am a Chronic Pain sufferer - Radicular Neuropathy which means in English: I have constant sciatica in my left leg from the buttock to the toe and of course I take meds for that. Could have something to do with that previously mention smoking effect.

Anyway, I could ramble even longer than I have already, but I'll spare you. Just want to fit in that I worked for 25+ years for Dow Jones & Co., Inc and am now 61 years old and have been teaching myself to paint in oils for the past 8 years, with major interruptions. NOW I'll let you go!

Welcome to BoB. Yes, Haddo's is pretty stout in the nic-dept. Wonderful flavor though, and aging is key.

Nice intro btw. Feel free to jump into any thread.

Cheers,

RR

Outstanding first post. welcome to the forum. we love pics too, especially the dog.

Welcome to the fold Number 13 and well done for finding your way back to the pleasures of the briar.

Cheers,

Stick

Welcome to the forum, great place to be to talk all subject tobaccoiana

Welcome. I enjoyed your tale of your re-intro to Haddo's Delight. Funny how a smoker can build up a tolerance ... take a break ... and then Pow! And we're almost neighbors, well, neighboring states, anyway.

KevinM":pk6hsxft said:
Welcome. I enjoyed your tale of your re-intro to Haddo's Delight.  Funny how a smoker can build up a tolerance ... take a break ... and then Pow! And we're almost neighbors, well, neighboring states, anyway.
Oh my god! I thought I was the lone Nutmeger here.

Welcome aboard, 13. Nice intro too.

Welcome. 8)

Yeah jumping back into piping with Haddo's Delight could be a little rough. :drunken:

Mac Baren Navy Flake, I need to revisit that one some time.

Welcome to the forum!

I have yet to try any Pease's stuff. Maybe Haddos would be a good head knocker to start with?

I look forward to the banter!