I'm going home!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
daveinlax":zy7p5hwb said:
Brewdude":zy7p5hwb said:
Looks like I'm moving up my departure date from late Aug to the middle of Aug. My last day at the brewery will probably be Aug 1, after which I'll do the final packing and get moved. No sense in staying around for no reason, and it'll get my house here in WA state on the market sooner.

I have a guy who is interested in my house here in WA, and he's having a home inspection today. That'll be an adventure!

Cheers,

RR
Do Not Sell Your Home until you have spent a summer in AZ. Most of the retirement communities are ghost towns in the summer for a good reason. AZ is a great spot to spend the winter but you don't want to live in 100 degree heat from March to November. :shock:  
Dave, thanks for your input. However I need to say that the hotter it gets, the more I like it. Seriously.

As an example, while I was there recently the daytime temps were around 110 and I loved it. The nights cooled off to around 80. This is exactly the kind of climate I seek. High heat - low humidity. Got 110+.....bring it say I.

And I was wearing heavy jeans (don't like shorts), sneakers (hate sandals), and a t-shirt, plus a hat. And I was perfectly comfortable in the heat. In fact I felt a bit chilly in the morning and slipped on a light jacket. So I'm fairly cold blooded, so to speak.

In fact I'm the one here in the Pac NW to wear long johns virtually year-round, even inside the house. In fact right now I have on long johns, sweatpants, t-shirt, sweatshirt, and wool hat - and this with the furnace set to 70. Currently it's like 62F outside at 5PM.

Call me crazy, and I'm certainly in the minority here, but hot and sunny is what I crave. Can't wait to get back there and enjoy it.

The house I'm purchasing there was set to 79 and that was comfortable. In fact I can see raising it to the mid 80's, where most folks would be more comfortable in the lower 70's. Just my body chemistry.

All to say that I'm a Southern AZ guy born and bred. Bring it!!

Cheers,

RR

Great news-

The home inspection went well today. And now the potential buyer has given me a verbal yes on the purchase.

:bom:

More later..........

Cheers,

RR

Sounds great Rande! A word of warning though, shake out your shoes every single time you put them on! Same goes for shirts, pants and jackets! A sting is no joke, and can even be life threatening! It only takes a moment to quickly shake things out. My brother made the mistake of not shaking out his shirt one day and ended up with a sting in the middle of his back that swelled up as big as a cantaloupe. I got stung on the sole of the foot putting my shoes on and couldn't walk for days. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy the heat my friend

Jim

huffelpuff":10jodfxz said:
Sounds great Rande! A word of warning though, shake out your shoes every single time you put them on! Same goes for shirts, pants and jackets! A sting is no joke, and can even be life threatening! It only takes a moment to quickly shake things out. My brother made the mistake of not shaking out his shirt one day and ended up with a sting in the middle of his back that swelled up as big as a cantaloupe. I got stung on the sole of the foot putting my shoes on and couldn't walk for days. Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy the heat my friend

Jim
A cautionary bit of advice and duly noted Jim. Gracias amigo!

Cheers,

RR

Everyone's giving you tips Rande, so I feel I should do too...

2.30, Epsom, 'Lucky Lad', 4 - 1 favourite. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Another milestone yesterday - signed all the papers from the Title company so that's all in order. Closing is this Mon 7/9 at which time I'll have the deed paid in full!

Last day at the brewery is coming up in a few weeks, and then I'll be doing the final packing in anticipation for the big move mid-Aug. Just shredded about 100# of old records and will be visiting the second hand store with donations of things like heavy winter jackets and such.

Registered new accts with the utility companies in AZ so things are moving apace.

Cheers,

RR

That sounds like the smoothest transition I've ever heard of regarding moving. Other than the house you live in burning down and moving is grabbing your coat and walking away, I guess....

Clean living is dealing a great hand to you sir! How cool is that? :king:

Ozark Wizard":mq7l40xj said:
That sounds like the smoothest transition I've ever heard of regarding moving. Other than the house you live in burning down and moving is grabbing your coat and walking away, I guess....

Clean living is dealing a great hand to you sir! How cool is that? :king:
Not sure how smooth it actually is Ozzie but I'm dealing with it OK.

More later.....

Cheers,

RR

Well, by the time I get permission from the doctor to roll out to the PNW, I'll be waving at you from the northbound lanes!

Fracking medical practitioners. Always our best interests at heart. Whatever happened to the sense of adventure?

Arizona? Good Lord man! Well I reckon ya have to be born there to enjoy it, the 120-130 temps don't do much for me. I'm having to deal with 101-107 here and not lik'en it. I wish you the best though and hope we don't lose touch. ;)

Cartaphilus":s1so5jjh said:
Arizona? Good Lord man! Well I reckon ya have to be born there to enjoy it, the 120-130 temps don't do much for me. I'm having to deal with 101-107 here and not lik'en it. I wish you the best though and hope we don't lose touch. ;)
No reason to lose touch Ron. You know my e-mail and I'll still be hanging around here - once I get the 'puter set up in Sun City that is.

And the hotter it gets the more I like it!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Much going on here in anticipation of the big move in a month or so. I'll spare y'all the details, yet if I'm to meet my goal of going minimalist it's a necessary evil. And I'm at peace with this decision.

More later.....

Cheers,

RR

I've been tardy on my updates, so here's the belated version-

Closed on the Sun City house this past Monday, and I now have the deed PAID IN FULL! So now I own 2 houses (YIKES), yet am hoping to shed one of them in a month or so. More on that later.

Set up accounts at all the new utility companies in AZ and am getting the locks changed on the new house. Made my final plans for the physical move (no small task) - too much to type and too many details.

Suffice to say that I'll be taking occupancy sometime in mid - Aug. My last day at the brewery is the end of the month (July 31), so officially on Aug 1 I'll be retired.

:affraid:

And what a totally weird concept that is to me, even though the date approaches soon. It's like it hasn't sunk in yet or something. My life for 30 yrs has been defined by being a brewer and I've enjoyed each and every day whether good or bad. And now it's time to cut it free.

And yes this is a conscious decision I made about a year ago. I'm not being forced out by the new brewery ownership - in fact they would very much prefer that I stay on. I've considered this again and again, but this decision is the right one for me.

The new ownership brings much to the table. They are 101% dedicated to seeing Snoqualmie Falls Brewing grow and prosper. And the new beer garden (which is set to open this weekend) is a testament to that, as well as the improvements to the kitchen, menu, Tap Room cosmetics, and much else. In short they are in for the big picture. Good peeps.

So I feel that I will leave on an up note, confident that the company, the products (which are virtually all mine), will go forth and prosper. I leave with no regrets. So enough about all that....

I'm chipping away at the packing, discarding, recycling, etc, in preparation for the physical move. This week I've been focused on pipes/'baccy/accessories. Now at a point where I have that pretty much under control. Just leaving out enough to get me through the next month or so.

Much to go through yet, but a few hrs after work is getting 'er done. And I'll have a full week or so after I officially retire to perform the final-final packing, leaving only the loading to do. Should be in good shape.

More later............

Cheers,

RR

Goodness me Rande, you have been a busy boy. I know because I'm currently packing the last of my house in preparation of moving this Thursday.

Good luck with it all mate.

Tim

Sounds like you're building a portfolio of properties, Rande!

Sounds like you've got everything all in hand, Rande, and importantly, have got your head round your relationship with the brewery. You're in a not too dissimilar place to where I was a few years ago; left the RAF after 27 years' service, bought a house and started a new chapter. It can be very unsettling if you've invested so much into your profession. It becomes part of the very fabric of who you are.

Time to look forward though old chum. Celebrate the past, but look forward. Cast off your puffer jackets, winter mitts and bobble hats with a smile and embrace your new way of life!

Bravo for Rande!

Stick":nrzl3tfw said:
Sounds like you're building a portfolio of properties, Rande!

Sounds like you've got everything all in hand, Rande, and importantly, have got your head round your relationship with the brewery.  You're in a not too dissimilar place to where I was a few years ago; left the RAF after 27 years' service, bought a house and started a new chapter.  It can be very unsettling if you've invested so much into your profession.  It becomes part of the very fabric of who you are.

Time to look forward though old chum.  Celebrate the past, but look forward.  Cast off your puffer jackets, winter mitts and bobble hats with a smile and embrace your new way of life!

Bravo for Rande!
Aye lad. Right you are on all counts....well except for building a portfolio of properties!

;)

Donated all my heavy winter gear to the local charity, plus much else. Still coming across much un-wanted/un-needed stuff. Good job there's a donation truck near me that I literally pass on the way back from the brewery. And they take everything, even electronic items that are not working. Got a few of those!

I've adopted a very much "non-sentimental" view to all this, and shedding so many items accumulated over the years that have no significant attachment to the day-to-day of where I'm at now.

I'm not Buddhist, but one of the tenants in that religion speaks to not attaching a relationship with material objects. That's kind of what I'm going through right now. If it isn't to be practical or used on a regular basis, out it goes with no regrets.

:drunken:

Cheers,

RR

I read somewhere that our kingdom is not of this world, nor adorned with worldly possessions. Another text implied that to shed one's self of the tethers of the material world is to free one's self from the fetters that bind you.

Be free! It's your chance to join us beyond the Pale....

Ozark Wizard":sb8sdx7e said:
I read somewhere that our kingdom is not of this world, nor adorned with worldly possessions. Another text implied that to shed one's self of the tethers of the material world is to free one's self from the fetters that bind you.

Be free! It's your chance to join us beyond the Pale....
Amen brother Wiz.

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR