I'm not buying any more jars!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
Went to the store to buy another dozen wide-mouth half-pint jars in preparation for some new tobaccos due to arrive. The store was out (I guess it's off seasons for the canning crowd), but I got to thinking about where I would even put any more jars other than in some really inconvenient out-of-the-way place. As I looked over all my jars I realized there are blends taking up space that I don't really need to keep around, like Orlik Racing Green which was for my taste was as bland as dipping white bread into milk. My previous project of selling samples on this forum helped clear out some of the overstock, but there is still too much.

Over the next week I'll pick out two or three dozen neglected items and give them one final session before putting them in a baggie. These will be collected up and offered for free sometime in the coming weeks. My idea would be to send the box free of charge to a person who expresses interest, they in turn could sample what they like and send the box along to somebody else. If baggies are removed, put something else in its place would be my idea. Maybe admin has a policy against this, or other ideas - just trying to give others a chance to try stuff rather than my throwing otherwise good tobacco on the compost heap.

Maybe I should have taken stock in the Kerr but I have at present 506 of these half pint jars, filled with between one and four ounces each. Besides my display of favorites, my 84 blending tobaccos, a box of my own blends in various stages of development, I have 26 trays of a dozen each of these less interesting blends that I've kept on hand to "see how they develop." Here's a pic of the 312 jars on the potential chopping block:

BoB-jars.PNG

Went to the store to buy another dozen wide-mouth half-pint jars in preparation for some new tobaccos due to arrive. The store was out (I guess it's off seasons for the canning crowd), but I got to thinking about where I would even put any more jars other than in some really inconvenient out-of-the-way place. As I looked over all my jars I realized there are blends taking up space that I don't really need to keep around, like Orlik Racing Green which was for my taste was as bland as dipping white bread into milk. My previous project of selling samples on this forum helped clear out some of the overstock, but there is still too much.

Over the next week I'll pick out two or three dozen neglected items and give them one final session before putting them in a baggie. These will be collected up and offered for free sometime in the coming weeks. My idea would be to send the box free of charge to a person who expresses interest, they in turn could sample what they like and send the box along to somebody else. If baggies are removed, put something else in its place would be my idea. Maybe admin has a policy against this, or other ideas - just trying to give others a chance to try stuff rather than my throwing otherwise good tobacco on the compost heap.

Maybe I should have taken stock in the Kerr but I have at present 506 of these half pint jars, filled with between one and four ounces each. Besides my display of favorites, my 84 blending tobaccos, a box of my own blends in various stages of development, I have 26 trays of a dozen each of these less interesting blends that I've kept on hand to "see how they develop." Here's a pic of the 312 jars on the potential chopping block:

View attachment 1409
That is a great idea. You are a real gentleman for thinking of other BoBs.

Maybe if you're "downsizing" your tobacco stash you should consider thinning the herd on pipes as well, lol? The Pete and the two rhodesians I got from you are excellent smokers.

I hear ya Brunello but it sounds like your in way more deeper with tobacco than me.

I just got done rearranging/inventory my stash a couple weeks ago. A couple of my stashes are 2 heavy duty totes behind my recliner that are somewhat hard to get to. They are very heavy being loaded with jarred tobacco and have me thinking of going to the 7mil mylar with the zipper that can be heat sealed above it. It would reduced the weight tremendously and I'm thinking they would take up less space than the tobacco being in jars. I searched for the mylar bags locally and cannot find any and will have to resort to buying them online. Does anyone know how well these hold up long term ie. 10 to 15 years?

Nice jesture, Brunello. I have the same problem, more tobacco than I can smoke in the rest of my lifetime! But, not quite as much as
you have!!
I suspect many of us have at least a few baccies we've been grudgingly holding onto, so this Pass Along idea may be a win win for everybody. In your case, if you decide to participate, the package comes your way, you pick out a few items that look interesting, and you get rid of some of your undesirables - er, I mean, pass along some treasured goodies to another Brother - and everybody is happy.

Stay posted peeps, I'll announce when the send-off package is ready! :)

I have disposed of all bulk other than the blends I created within the last year that I am currently smoking. I have many unopened, relatively current tins, and about 100 unopened Dunhill tins. I have a large box filled with "saleables" waiting for Pipestud's word to send them to him for sale. The Dunhill tins will likely sit in storage for several years, until they have "value" or upon my death may be on the driveway for the garage sale.
I'm no longer buying anything. By fall, I expect to gather groups of my 70+ pipes and sell them as "lots" on Ebay. My daughter has already sold the majority of the "high grades."

Maybe I should have taken stock in the Kerr but I have at present 506 of these half pint jars, filled with between one and four ounces each.
That's higher than I can even count.

I have disposed of all bulk other than the blends I created within the last year that I am currently smoking. I have many unopened, relatively current tins, and about 100 unopened Dunhill tins. I have a large box filled with "saleables" waiting for Pipestud's word to send them to him for sale. The Dunhill tins will likely sit in storage for several years, until they have "value" or upon my death may be on the driveway for the garage sale.
I'm no longer buying anything. By fall, I expect to gather groups of my 70+ pipes and sell them as "lots" on Ebay. My daughter has already sold the majority of the "high grades."
It's good that you have thought ahead about this. Pipes and tobacco are something that won't be easy for surviving family members to try and sell. It's a very specialized market. The first couple years we lived up here on the mountain we had no high speed internet so we built a huge library of DVDs to keep ourselves entertained. Now that streaming is ubiquitous, the nearest used bookstore is selling CDs for 50-cents each and DVDs for a dollar. I told my son he could list them on on eBay and keep the profits, and he just grunted with disinterest knowing there's probably no interest nor real money to be made. But at least your Dunhill tins should fetch some remuneration.

Holy....smoke! Do you also have tins you are cellaring?
Just a dozen tins in the deep cellar: Dunhill Flake, Astley's 44 (pre-2015), Orlik Golden Slice, and a can of C&D Byzantium. Ever since I discovered online retailers in August 2016 I've been focused on trying new things and doing comparative flights of different baccies to determine just what my favorites would be. Turns out I won't miss Dunhill, McClelland or Esoterica. The only tins I might start setting aside are some K&K items, otherwise my favorite Wilke or Country Squire are sold in bulk.

The store was out (I guess it's off seasons for the canning crowd)
When I decided to start another cellar at my home in AZ last winter I tried with no luck to find 32oz wide mouth jars with no luck. I was told at several stores it was because of Covid related supply chain issues. Some did come in before I left for the season so I was finely able to jar up the two 5lb pillows I ordered. 🥸

View attachment 1409

I like your thinking! I’ve recently decided to try to purchase my tobacco from other smokers who are selling off excess in lieu of buying from retailers. I only came up with this idea a few weeks ago. So I have no idea if I’ll be able to locate enough sellers to make this a long-term viable practice.

But I suspect there’s a lot of mature smokers out there who are, like you, starting to realize they’ve acquired more tobacco than they’ll ever be able to finish.

I'm also trying to liquidate much of my tobacco and cigar stash. Recently started smoking again over the weekend, but don't regret getting rid of some of the pipe tobacco. I still have way too much of it. I had stopped smoking because of a swallowing issue, but it is not cancer, so I'm going to smoke again. My girlfriend said I was grumpy the three months that I quit.