I'm sorry, but this is madness.....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Yeah, I watch these semi regularly, I know what they go for. Not knocking the seller, good for him. But come on! This is about 10 times what they're worth.

link

Wunup baccy flap. They're pretty cool, made of bakelite, screws together, holds your tobacco. Don't make em anymore. For a long time you could pick one up for $25 or so. As of late they've been kind of trendy, going for the $40's or so. But $226.00? :suspect:

That is crazy! Most of the time, these go for $40-$60. That one even has some damage. That my brothers is the result of someone getting caught up in the classic bidding war. :roll:

Never seen such a thing. Kind of cool, but...Ziplocs are cheap. :lol:

Yes, that auction was insane.
I was watching up until it went over a $100, and had to look twice when I saw the final bid.
I paid about $40 for one last year, and I thought that was stupid... :roll:

I say Good for Pipestud!

I feel the same way as you guys when the things go for 30, 40 50 bucks. I picked up one of each, a Wunup and a Parker for about 5 bucks a piece just a couple of years ago!

There's a handful of guys here that feel "fairness police" need to regulate the prices they feel something is worth rather than letting idiots climb over one another and determine an open-market price. A fool and his money, as they say...

...I just laugh and move on when I see someone asking ridiculous prices for something. If he succeeds, well hell, time to start looking in my own crap to see what other morons want to help fund my next pipe or pay my rent. :lol:

*shrug*

Kyle Weiss":0zza6rwp said:
There's a handful of guys here that feel "fairness police" need to regulate the prices they feel something is worth rather than letting idiots climb over one another and determine an open-market price. A fool and his money, as they say...

...I just laugh and move on when I see someone asking ridiculous prices for something. If he succeeds, well hell, time to start looking in my own crap to see what other morons want to help fund my next pipe or pay my rent. :lol:

*shrug*
I've done business with Steve Fallon, aka Pipestud off and on for about 5 or 6 years. I don"t think I've ever seen him "asking" any price on his auctions. All are, to my knowledge, no reserve, so this is truly a case of "fools and their money soon parting"LOL

Well, nitpicking aside, even if he did ask for high prices, no matter to me.

Craigslist is worth a laugh if you really want to see a monkey market happening live. 8)

Blackhorse":hty0yswy said:
'Do Not Drink and Bid at the Same Time'
Sound advice if I ever read any.

I want one.

Anybody out there like to sell me one?? :D

$226 is crazy though. Even if I had much more disposable income, I'd rather have a new pipe or a few pounds of tobacco for that kind of scratch

You'll eat your words and stay up at night when they go to $556, Shane. Don't say I didn't warn you. :lol:

These collectable pieces are very functional items. I use one every day, as I have found that the baccyflap allows just enough moisture release to keep my tobacco just about perfect for bowl loading at all times.

These bakelite collectables are around 70 yrs old now. I just purchased my fifth one this week and paid less than $60 for it on ebay on a buy it now sale.

There are supposed to be 2 versions of the baccyflap. One is the darker version, most likely found, which is intended to be used for English blends. The other is a lighter tan colored bakelite, intended for Virginia blends. I have been collecting these for a couple of years now, and I have yet to come across the lighter colored version.

Kyle Weiss":3s79njlj said:
You'll eat your words and stay up at night when they go to $556, Shane. Don't say I didn't warn you. :lol:
I'm looking for a reasonably priced one lol

Yeah I wanted a Baccy Flap for a while but the prices are insane, I found an old low profile screw top military food container made from the same material (Bakelite) for much less money...
p1070019l.jpg

Yet the guy who bought it might be happy with his find and the price paid. Stuff gets beyond the utilitarian stage, moves up to the collectible ranks, prices spike, then cooler heads begin to prevail and prices may (oe may not) drop. It's greed at work. I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, though I fit the profile of a value consumer ;)