in lieu of puff daddys topic..how often do you smoke?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confidence Cohen

Reaction score
I am quite curious as to how often the BoB smokes up the pipes..

not only that...on average, what is your smoke length time..

For me, (only a 3 year pipe smoker) I only smoke about 2-3 times a week. I fill my pipes up. Each smoke is about 60-90 minutes long.

You guys that smoke 3-4 times a day...I can only assume that you are having 15-30 minute smokes?

What say you?

I smoke my pipe more in the summer than winter.

In the summer, I smoke about 3 or 4 times a week...usually about an hr....45 minutes if its my smaller pipe.

With the winter here, I might get in one or 2 bowls a week.

I smoke 3-4 bowls a day and you are right, the average length of time per smoke is approximately 30 minutes.

I use to smoke really large pipes most of the time that I would let go out and then relight later but I have found myself growing fond of group 4 size pipes, or somewhere in that range that I can smoke all the way through.

I actually smoke smaller pipes but get longer smokes from them. I love group 3 and 4 billiards and bulldog/rhodesians with thick walls and prefer to smoke slightly roughed up flakes in them. I like to get a pipe to just smolder and I sip from it, not worrying about however many relights it takes. Who cares?! Unlike a group 5 or 6 chamber with rubbed out or ribbon tobacco which will burn hotter (having a greater surface area and with more oxygen resulting in a faster burn) a small bowl with a carefully prepared flake will smolder for a very long time. I very often get 90 mins to 2 hours from this. I usually smoke a bowl as soon as I rise with my morning coffee and that pipe accompanies me to work. A second pipe usually comes at around 10 am and gets me to lunch time, and that's usually it for me for the day.

It's funny but I often look forward to the weekend so I can relax and smoke all I want, which usually turns out to be the same, 2 bowls :lol:

PD, It must come with experience. I too have taken a liking to group 3-4 size pipes and even though I don't smoke flakes I can keep them lit and burning much slower resulting in a longer smoke. Not quite as long as you but still 30-45 minutes. Occasionally an hour long. I like billiard, egg and apple shapes. Funny how we gravitate towards the more traditional shapes with experience. Or, at least I have.

Justpipes":uj46xsun said:
Funny how we gravitate towards the more traditional shapes with experience.
TJ beat it into my head long enough for it to sink in :lol: The man knows billiards!

Puff Daddy":65ojrk2f said:
Justpipes":65ojrk2f said:
Funny how we gravitate towards the more traditional shapes with experience.
TJ beat it into my head long enough for it to sink in :lol: The man knows billiards!
1/2 bent billiards are among my best smokers. I did recently purchase a Kaywoodie straight billiard but I haven't smoked it yet. I can look at it and tell that it will be an awesome smoker though.

I forgot about dublin shapes too. I have several that are very good smokers. With dublins though I find that the bowl must be executed properly to give a cool smoke. Some dublin pipes walls can be too tapered towards the bottom of the bowl and have a tendency to get too hot towards the end.

Blasphemy, Dublin bowls are King. They double nay triple the flavor of the weak boring tobaccos on the market today, such as Black XX or Brown Bogie. :poncho:

Sometimes I smoke from the time I roll out of bed until the time I flop back in it, other times I smoke a bowl and thats it. I have in times past went 3-4 weeks without smoking a pipe because I just wasn't in the mood, thankfully that hasn't happened lately.

I have lit a bowl of Penzance in Louisville and still had it smoldering when I crossed into Georgia. My flakes usually last 1-2 hrs in a medium bowl, no rubbing out or any of that stuff...thats not what they were made for. Ribbons usually last 45minutes to an hour or so in the same size pipes.

I usually light up a cob when I get home from work,,,30 min smoke,,,then after supper settle down for a longer smoke,,,,load up a freehand or meer ,,maybe squat bulldog for a good hour smoke,,,,,once in a while I'll work at breaking in a new pipe after that,,,15 to 20 mins,,,,,,weekends is a different story,,,depends how busy but usually 2 to 3 pipes on sat,,,same on sun....

I guess I smoke maybe five or six times per week. It kiinda depends on what shift I'm working and how cold it is outside. Each bowl lasts 45 min to an hour, apparently without regard for the type of pipe. My oom paul is the exception. It usually lasts an hour and a half to two hours. If it weren't for restrictions at work and my wife, God bless her, at home I'd probably light one when I got up and quit when I went to bed.

Now let me skin my ignorance. I keep reading about size 3 or 4 or 5 pipes. Or sometimes Dunhill size whatever. I'm not familiar with those sizes. Is there a website that shows how big those are? All my pipes have pretty much the same size tobacco chanber regardless of the shape of the bowl. :?:

Centurian 803":9niyj3dr said:
Now let me skin my ignorance. I keep reading about size 3 or 4 or 5 pipes. Or sometimes Dunhill size whatever. I'm not familiar with those sizes. Is there a website that shows how big those are? All my pipes have pretty much the same size tobacco chanber regardless of the shape of the bowl. :?:
That would be a whole nother thread that could take months of input. There are many schools of thought on the number groupings.

I start smoking at about 6AM with a cup of coffee
And smoke continuously all day
Most of my pipes are a size 4 or 5 bowl that last from 30min to an hour depending on the tobacco

As for pipe sizes a group 4 size bowl I can fit my indext finger loosly in the bowl group 5 is just a little larger
If that helps any

my2cents:
Smoking amount:
Usually every weekday evening for the ride home then 2-3 bowls per day Saturday & Sunday.
Sizing:
This summer when I ordered a pipe from Mark Tinsky he had listed it as a size 6, which didn't mean anything to me. I trashed the email already but he related his sizing to a specific brand like Dunhill. It did seem that when I searched the web at the time there were many differing size relations depending on maker.
:pipe: on Brothers.

I try to smoke once a day. sometimes twice a day if I can find time. onthe rare day off 3 to 4 times a day.

I tend to smoke two to three bowls per day when not working. When working its one maybe two due to time constaints.

As for the size question, JP is right. It would take another very long thread. With Dunhill the grouping size can vary drastically depending on shape. A grp 4 billiard is different than a grp 4 apple. Even the same shape can vary quite a bit. I don't think there is any real standard, its just a generality. With Ashtons the number of X's is a size designation. However, it varys again. I have a XXX apple that is quite a bit smaller than than my XX billiard. I have also had a XXX apple that was larger than my XX billiard. Go to smokingpipes.com and compare the measurments for the different shapes and groups. I normally purchase pipes that have a certain range for chamber diameter, chamber depth and bowl height that I have found works for me.

One every evening after work -- lasts around 1:15 - 1:30 (flakes, mostly).

On weekends and days off, it starts in the afternoon. Anywhere from 3 - 6 pipes, depending on the day & mood.

:face:

1 or rarely 2 bowls a day during the week. On weekends it depends. Usually 3-4 bowls per day.