In Praise of Small Pipes!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJack

Reaction score
I was smoking a small bowled Stanwell last evening when it occurred to me that no matter which tobacco I put in it they all smoked good. That seems to be the case with most of my smaller pipes. We all get so hung up on these monster free hands and the like that we forget the joys of the oft forgotten smaller members of our collection. I'm a big guy who might look odd with a small briar in my mouth but I don't care, it's all about the smoke, not trying to impress others. Whom among my fellow Brothers of Briar will join me in singing the praises of our wee friends?

As the Quakers say, "speaks to my condition." I am a big fan of small-bowled pipes--they suit my smoking style nicely. I think my favorite smoker is a small Caminetto "opera" pipe.

I don't dislike big pipes either, but sometimes I just want to hear a song, not a whole symphony.

I have been finding my interest leaning towards smaller pipes lately also. The last couple of days I have been smoking a small Jobey that delivers an absolutley wonderful smoke. Smaller pipes are much more conducive to clinching too.

I have a goodly number of smaller-bowled pipes (DH 3 & below) in various shapes. All smoke well; they are extremely handy when time is of the essence. I must say however that I have never sensed the difference in a tobacco smoked in a small pipe vs. a larger one! FTRPLT

I know I probably have a misconception about smaller pipes smoking better the large but that's my reality on the matter and I'm sticking with it.

There are some real strong flakes that are murder in a large bowl.Any high nicotine tobacco will get me sick in one of my Giant Ardors.I smoked some Solani Aged Burley Flake last night and it was very potent,I used the BoB Forum pipe which is about a group 2-3 and I survived without hic-cups. :roll:

Winslow :sunny:

Just like I have big cigars and little cigars to suit the smoking situation, I like big pipes and small pipes.

put me down as a small bowl fan, my best smoking pipes are small,

Big and Small
(I call em Fat Man and Little Boy)

fm_lb10.jpg

Hermit":oy5xk5k9 said:
A quick smoke. :) A group one, maybe??

tiny10.jpg
Wish I'd had that pipe while I was teaching high school--looks ideal for a cigarette-length break.

Justpipes":ofs4zbfb said:
Hermit, that is some beautiful grain on that "fat man" billiard!
It's a Big Ben; got it from Frenchy for 72.25.
It's my "highway pipe." Lasts from my house to New Orleans. ;)

I love small pipes. I'm not sure if I'm a slow smoker or just get distracted and the pipe goes out relatively often. A pipe around group 2 still takes me probably 45mins to smoke. On a daily basis I don't find time to have 90min smokes. If it wasn't for the DVD player, my medium & large pipes might think I don't love them...

I like a small bowl capacity, but still like a fairly good chunk of briar to 'hold'. Seems this type pipe is relatively hard to find without having an artisan make one. Am I, as often is the case, mistaken?

The pipe you have in mind is a Cavicchi Prince.

20 mm.bore ; (+/-) 44 mm. bowl width.

Amazing flake pipes.

:face:

Bulldog Bruce":8dlsscmh said:
I like a small bowl capacity, but still like a fairly good chunk of briar to 'hold'. Seems this type pipe is relatively hard to find without having an artisan make one. Am I, as often is the case, mistaken?
I too enjoy a beefy chunk of briar with a small bowl, I look for freehands and squat bulldogs or a squashed tomato. But you're right, you have to dig for them .