In Search of the Perfect English

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GLP Sextant was one I really enjoyed. Also C&D Bow Legged Bear. Those might be off the chart for social consumption though. :p

MisterE":mt0suo4a said:
GLP Sextant was one I really enjoyed. Also C&D Bow Legged Bear. Those might be off the chart for social consumption though. :p
Two more that I haven't tried. Sextant sounds like something right up my alley. If you never hear from me again you know I've disappeared down the TAD rabbit hole! :rabbit:

Brunello":840em2k8 said:
Stick":840em2k8 said:
Never mind the 'baccy, there's some great English names popping up here.  Father used to live a stone's throw from Crystal Palace in London too.
Well you Ol' Limey Bastard! Said with love, as my grandmother was from Ipswich, and my grandfather on the other side was from Scotland. We enjoy travelling in Britain and have been to the Crystal Palace. :lol:
Ha!

Small world, eh?!

swhipple":ix2d6jfy said:
Brunello":ix2d6jfy said:
Well you Ol' Limey Bastard! Said with love, as my grandmother was from Ipswich, and my grandfather on the other side was from Scotland. We enjoy travelling in Britain and have been to the Crystal Palace. :lol:
Small world! My Mother's side of the family is from Ipswich. Spent quite a lot of time there when I was young. Still have a few relatives that live in the area.
...anyone else?

Not sure what I started, there. Back to the main thread...

MisterE":frfw2qsw said:
You changed your avatar, I didn't know who I was talking to. Am I the only one who just looks at the pictures?

Anyway, I should have said, as for Latakia forget the six-foot social distancing - how 'bout 60 feet! As Mr. T would have said: "Keep back Fools!" :lol:

I thoroughly enjoyed Arango Balkan Supreme. C&D Safe Harbor flake is pretty good as well. A favorite though was Aston Artisans Blend. Haven't tried the current iteration of it though so I can't say how well it did after the loss of the Syrian. Smoke a few Scottish and Balkans that I can't think of off the top of my head. C&D Star of the East was my intro to English blends. It wasn't bad but sure was on the overpowering side of things.

Jim

huffelpuff":wichyjvd said:
I thoroughly enjoyed Arango Balkan Supreme. C&D Safe Harbor flake is pretty good as well. A favorite though was Aston Artisans Blend. Haven't tried the current iteration of it though so I can't say how well it did after the loss of the Syrian. Smoke a few Scottish and Balkans that I can't think of off the top of my head. C&D Star of the East was my intro to English blends. It wasn't bad but sure was on the overpowering side of things.

Jim
If I ever find an older tin of Ashton Artisan sitting in a dusty corner of a B&M (hey, I sometimes get lucky!) I definitely want to try it. But the reviews for the newer version scare me off: "like a stronger, deeper Nightcap" - well, Nightcap is already on the overpowering side for my tastes.

By the way, my brother lives in Casper, though like many snowbirds he has seven acres near Prescott Arid-zona where he plans to retire.

Casper. Wow that's a good 3 hour drive from here. Nice town though. I lived in Mesa, AZ for a year and couldn't take the heat. Everyone says "Oh but it's a dry heat". Well so is my oven and I'm not about to crank it up and sit in it either. Summers here are brutal enough for me when it hits the upper 80s or low 90s. Winter on the other hand sucks! Occasionally it hits -30 to as low as-50 here.

Artisans Blend was a very rich smoke for sure but I don't recall it being anything close to Star of the East. It was a very well rounded out flavor profile like 965 but I wouldn't put it in that heavy class myself. I'd put it more as an upper medium. Still have 2 tins of it kicking around here somewhere from 2014 I believe. I'll see if I can find them. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample sometime next week.

Jim

F & K - Black Bayou Mist is a wonderful very traditional English blend.
A full bodied latakia blend made the traditional way. With the best Virginia, the finest Oriental leaves, dark fired Kentucky, a good pinch of Louisiana perique and of course a good amount of smoky latakia.