In the Wee Hours of the morning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
Don't you just love not being able to sleep?  I gave up the quest at 4am... I had a good coal bed in the fire box, threw a couple logs on and they instantly caught.  The smell of a wood fire mixes with the scent of my Sutliff No. 5 and my freshly ground and brewed coffee, the redolent smell gives me comfort, it takes me back to a simpler time, a time when I was a child staying at my grandparents house. I remember being a young boy and waking up when it was still dark out, not a soul in the house was awake except my Grandfather and I. We would sit at his kitchen table ( the very one I am at now) he would sip his pipe in a thoughtful manner , while looking across the table at me.  He would break our silence with a corny Dad/Grandpa style joke and I would start cracking up.  I would then usually ask him to tell me a story of his youth, I would sit and absorb his words like a sponge.   My Grandfather was one of the smartest men I have ever known, the crazy thing about this is that he only had a third grade education, he dropped out of school at an early age to support his mother and brothers and sisters after his father ran out on them. Later in life he retired from General Motors, but his humble beginnings in the work force was him driving a set of mules for a sawmill pulling logs out of the woods and stumps from the ground.  I think and hope this is where I get my work ethic from, and I KNOW this is where I got being a good father from, my grandpa gave me a shining example of unconditional love and dedication to family.  Well that's enough rambling from me... Hope everyone has a great morning and an AMAZING day!

Corncobcon":ojfay5bz said:
Thanks for sharing that with all of us. My day started about 4 a.m. also, but with different results. :x
That doesn't sound promising at all :no:

Simple Man":rjczm26e said:
Thanks for posting this, Thistleoak. It brought back a lot of good memories of my own. I wish I could turn back time sometimes and relive some of those memories again.
This for me too, Jack. I drifted off for a while... Pa, with his pipe, ever patient listening intently to the excited ramblings of a young boy high on life. Model aeroplanes, country lane walks and Erinmore Flake... great memories.

Thanks both!

Thanks for bringing back fond memories.My grand father was also a pipe smoker who would smoke his pipe as he told me stories of when he was young.

Thanks for that memory. Sadly neither of of my grandparents were around much for me.
I do remember my one granddad had his favourite seat at the golf club bar and woe betide anyone that was in it when he turned up. I know little of his life except he was in the Royal Airforce and was running Khartoum air base during WW2.
I don't recall him smoking at all but he loved a pink gin and I still have his little silver stirrer that he carried everywhere. Apparently he had a band in Nairobi in the 60's and played the sax extremely well. Sadly I never heard him play.

Happy puffing to you all.

The days of our kind are numberèd. The one God comes to drive out the many gods. The spirits of wood and stream grow silent. It's the way of things. Yes... it's a time for men, and their ways.
We are not born to live a man's life, but to be the stuff of future memory.

Ozark Wizard":8cr8wnyp said:
The days of our kind are numberèd. The one God comes to drive out the many gods. The spirits of wood and stream grow silent. It's the way of things. Yes... it's a time for men, and their ways.
We are not born to live a man's life, but to be the stuff of future memory.
Well said