Interested in bulk tobaccos for aging

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Hey Gentlemen,
Have any of your purchased tobaccos in bulk to allow them to age for later consumption? After my Captain Black experience, I'm wondering if I could build my cellar with some bulk tobacco that will mellow and improve over the years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My go to BM is Tinderbox.

Have a great weekend!

Martin, The only tobaccos that really "change" through cellaring are the Virginias, and some more than others.
Another reason to cellar is as a hedge against rising prices. If this is your reason for cellaring, any blend would be fine.

If you are looking for a source of bulks for cellaring, I would recommend pipesandcigars.com,Mars Cigars, and 4Noggins. Between the three I have found the best selections and prices available and pipesandcigars has a special, today only, all shipping $1!

I have cellared many Virginias, as this is my prferred smoke and have had varying degrees of sucess.Best result todate: McC Boston 1776, with five years in the tin and Rattrays Old Gowrie Bulk with 9 years in the jar.

Most disappointing result to date: McC 5100 Bulk with 5 years in the jar.

Have a great Day

I have a small cellar, mostly tins and just started jarring bulk baccy recently.My thought is to have more small jars to age a blend in as opposed to one large jar. I figured this would allow me to smoke a blend and let the rest age longer and stay fresh without breaking the seal on a whole pound of baccy. As for requests Im cellaring the blends I know I like(mostly Vas). I also empty tins into small jars if Im not crazy the first couple bowls smoked out of them, sometimes a little age helps in this case.

There's been quite a bit written on aging, a lot of it contradictory. That said, I think bulk is the way to go. I don't see that any quality is lost vs tins and prices are better. Also, you're hedging against future price increases a/o shortages. I keep my hoard in Mason jars. I only "put up" what I've smoked and like, disregarding 3rd party liks/dislikes. (No offense. Ya gotta know your own prefereces.) Vas age best. Lats become more mellow, but some will get thin. Aros don't get better with age and, over time, turn back into burley. All mho. You can make your own blends, using recipes on the 'net. Duration? Couple years of aging is fine, though I have a lotta Mason jars with 10+-year old 965, EMP and assorted McC Vas. Make sure you have a good vacuum seal. Don't be popping 'em open to check. I use a cool, dark corner of my basement and leave the jars in the cardboard box I bought 'em in. My hoard is in quart jars, but I agree with the poster above that smaller jars allow better access and don't require opening a whole quart when all you want is a week's worth. Good luck.