Interesting concept of "a place to smoke my pipe"....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
... I've been reading thru all these posts about all the "cellars" and "smoking areas" many of the folks here are currently or already have been constructing etc. in their homes! from what I've read, I'm glad I am from the generation I am as I don't think I could live with another lady if I was 30 years younger :p Some background as to why I have this observation. I'm from a generation when tobacco was part of life. Folks smoked, either cigarettes, cigars or pipes. My mother and her family were from Scotland, my father and his family were from French Canada and men ( and some women) smoked and smoked IN THEIR HOUSE, usually in most rooms, though many times not in bedrooms, but definatly amongst the family in communal areas. My mother's father was a cigarette smoker and smoked everywhere he went. My father and his father were cigar smokers and it was the same. My mother, her mother and my father's mother were NOT smokers but NOTHING was said about their father's/husbands smoking. Myself I've always smoked in the house I lived in usually in just about all the house regardless of whether my wife was a smoker or not ( one was) .I had a chair in the living room which was "mine with a small table next to it and it usually had a round 24 pipe rack and humidor on it and I would sit and smoke my pipe with my family as we watched TV etc. I still have the cahair and still sit in it and smoke. I can understand a persons wnnting to respect a persons comfort and feelings about smoking, but on the other side of that coin is the fact that that person needs to respect your wants as well. Maybe by making seperate "areas" is how it is done today but for me that won't be :p I'm currently seeing a lady who is a few years younger and she knows I smoke a pipe, and she's not a big fan of the aroma of my tobacco blend, but knows that I smoke a pipe and will do so in my house and accepts that. I guess this all a generational thing and I'm glad I'm the generation I am :p Just some mental ramblings!

I, too, smoke throughout the house. I also like younger women, and I'm your same age, or will be next month. Women come, and women go, but the earth abides forever, and the sun also rises. Pipe smoking is what I do. Perhaps it is a generational, or cultural, thing. The younger whippersnappers have been brought up and "educated" to be paranoid about everything, especially hellish tobacco, and all manner of "chemicals" in the "environment." And most of them have never studied chemistry or physics or any other hard science, but are well-versed in groupthink. They make me ill.

Well, I'd hate to be the youngin' that brings a spot of wisdom to you old farts, but speaking for myself, I don't smoke in my house just due to cleaning issues. I'm too damn lazy to scrub down surfaces or try and match paint once that subtle shade of tan has made its way into the walls. Battling tarred dust sucks--in fact, my kitchen must be a separate room than the rest of the house, because cooking grease will do the same thing, and I do like to chef it up.

In addition, smoking rooms or "man caves," have a lot to do with getting the hell away from your wife/girlfriend/DP or whatever you want to call 'er. Guys need their space, and what's a guy without a project to complete and something to bury his head into after being browbeaten about something? Blame Women's Lib. :lol:

Then again, my father is your guys' age. He'll never live with or marry another gal, and why should he? Marriage seems to be a thing for rearing kids than anything, unless you're lucky enough to have a gal or partner that's just that cool--a rarity, for sure.

Personally, once I'm not a renter, I plan on having a separate hang out where there will be food, drink and entertainment, or, relaxing books-upon-books and a fireplace--and of course: smoking. and if folks can't deal, don't show up.

So, ease up on classifying all us pups, we ain't all paranoid and products of mindless automation set forth by a world made more and more complicated!

Signed,

A Young Coot.

PS, get off my lawn.

PSS, also, I'm glad you guys are the generation you are, too: who else is going to talk sense into those that need guidance and a views via experience? Most of my friends are far older than I for a reason.

8)

Kyle Weiss":ddbhj1vt said:
In addition, smoking rooms or "man caves," have a lot to do with getting the hell away from your wife/girlfriend/DP or whatever you want to call 'er. Guys need their space, and what's a guy without a project to complete and something to bury his head into after being browbeaten about something?
Bingo.

It's only occasionally a matter of exile...most often, it's a matter of escape!

I smoke in one room, my office.
(comfy chair, computer, TV, etc...)
I use a window fan; works pretty well.

I can dig having a dedicated area for smoking, for whatever reason, refuge or ostracism. It's hardly a new concept. I believe that in the Edwardian age, the golden age of tobacco, men retired to the library, women kept the hell away, and everyone was happy. I'm just sayin' that I smoke in my house, and that's that. And Kyle, what's this "cleaning house" concept? No sabe nada. And was the Edwardian age the golden age of tobacco? I just pulled that out of my fundament. Perhaps another thread?...

Richard Burley":f92x582j said:
I can dig having a dedicated area for smoking, for whatever reason, refuge or ostracism. It's hardly a new concept. I believe that in the Edwardian age, the golden age of tobacco, men retired to the library, women kept the hell away, and everyone was happy. I'm just sayin' that I smoke in my house, and that's that. And Kyle, what's this "cleaning house" concept? No sabe nada. And was the Edwardian age the golden age of tobacco? I just pulled that out of my fundament. Perhaps another thread?...
You should smoke in your house if you so choose! Your women should also come when called and go away when told to! :lol:

Well, cleaning is a specific duty. Anything to make it quicker and easier (without the help of a paid servant, or heck, unpaid servant.... :lol: ) is the goal. At least for my sake, I'm hardly a slob, but I'm an indulging, lazy and comfort-seeking human. Ergo, just human. The "male" part simply means I can justify whatever part of that I want and get away with it. :twisted:

"While women are cursed with complicated manipulation, men are blessed with wordless justification."

As for the Edwarding age being the golden age of tobacco? That will foster a good discussion, and par for the course: sided debate. Cool idea.

8)

I'm 35 years old, grew up in a smoking family. The cigars and pipes jumped a generation due to cigarettes and fell right on me and my younger brother.
(my grandfathers smoked cigars and pipes, my father and mother smoke cigarettes) <----for those not able to add 2+2.... :)

Any ways, I have a man cave that I "retire too" and prefer to smoke there only because that's where my computer is and my firearms are. I agree with all of you actually. I smoke where ever the hell I want, just prefer to smoke in the man cave because that's where I relax the best and I keep the cleaning to a minimum.

I don't have a man cave. My whole house is the cave. I smoke where I want to. Now with that out of the way........When I feel the need for privacy and sound thinking, I have a room that I turned into my own little smoking lounge.

Ive been married over 12 years, and not once have I had to ask permission for anything. Don't get me wrong, my wife is not a pushover, she can hold court with the best of them...........she understands that my needs are simple.

For those that have to keep their nads in their wives or girlfriends purses...........let her know that as soon as she starts making more money than you, she can then make decisions.............actually I wouldnt go that far, you get killed.

This is so sad, but I feel it bears repeating. My wife would by me a spitting cobra before she'd by me a $20 bowl pipe!

She did help me with labels for jarring last night, but that was so I didn't muck it up and "waste the money I spent."

Yeah, for me it is ESCAPE. Smoking in front of my wife and putting up with the nagging but be the ultimate buzzkill aside from aliens whose eyes shot death rays, and under the right circumstances, that could be a blessing.

Here's the kicker. Take pipes and cigars out of our relationship and it's PERFECT. Can't live with them, can't live without them. Story of my life. :x

Behike54":3w3zgzu4 said:
This is so sad, but I feel it bears repeating. My wife would by me a spitting cobra before she'd by me a $20 bowl pipe!

She did help me with labels for jarring last night, but that was so I didn't muck it up and "waste the money I spent."

Yeah, for me it is ESCAPE. Smoking in front of my wife and putting up with the nagging but be the ultimate buzzkill aside from aliens whose eyes shot death rays, and under the right circumstances, that could be a blessing.

Here's the kicker. Take pipes and cigars out of our relationship and it's PERFECT. Can't live with them, can't live without them. Story of my life. :x
That's too bad. I'm blessed with a partner that once on rare occasion joins me so we both pipe, but it's mostly my "alone time..." (...sometimes "leave me the f--- alone time... :lol: ...)

I do have to ask, since it was brought up--you did ask her for a spitting cobra, right? I bet at least some dude would trade it for a pipe... :lol: ...but then you'd just get in trouble soon thereafter... foiled again! Your lady needs to be cool--stress kills. 8)

Kyle Weiss said:
Behike54":41walfh6 said:
Your lady needs to be cool--stress kills. 8)

In all fairness, her dad was a heavy smoker and has developed two kind of cancer and STILL closet smokes. So I get that kind of "baggage" that keeps her from even listening to the difference between pipes/cigars and cigarettes in terms of volume and frequency.

I try to be mindful of that.

Behike54 said:
Kyle Weiss":vufnlr8e said:
Behike54":vufnlr8e said:
Your lady needs to be cool--stress kills. 8)

In all fairness, her dad was a heavy smoker and has developed two kind of cancer and STILL closet smokes. So I get that kind of "baggage" that keeps her from even listening to the difference between pipes/cigars and cigarettes in terms of volume and frequency.

I try to be mindful of that.
I see. I suppose she, in her own way, kind of has to deal with it as such--poor gal. Good on you for being cool. 8) Meanwhile, a good man project: smoking den! :D

Kyle Weiss":mc1lm5br said:
I see. I suppose she, in her own way, kind of has to deal with it as such--poor gal. Good on you for being cool. 8) Meanwhile, a good man project: smoking den! :D
Brother, you have no idea! The tumblers are always moving and looking for that perfect solution that comes from alignment. :drunken:

Behike54":o48tsqxn said:
Kyle Weiss":o48tsqxn said:
Brother, you have no idea! The tumblers are always moving and looking for that perfect solution that comes from alignment. :drunken:
:lol!: Well, for what it's worth, I'm sure any one of us can relate to that. Luck be with ye. 8)

My missus of 40+ years is pretty accommodating about my pipes, but objects to Latakia blends and, really, who is going to argue when the missus is coughing and her eyes are watering? Not me, brothers. I have a cozy little spot in the basement with my fly tieing stuff, some books and mags -- and a few friendly samples of my briar buddy collection. Works fine for both of us. We're talking about moving Nawth someday and I've said I plan to put one of those spiffy pre-fab sheds out in the yard where I'll keep my lawn mower, snowblower, pipe stuff, a comfy chair and a cot. She thinks I'm kidding. But that's how Thoreau lived on Walden Pond. Like other large mammals, the aging male homo sapien requires a bit of space from the herd, but continues to appreciate a hearty meatloaf sandwich and a cold beer. What I don't need is any steenkin drama.

KevinM":w5f38jkq said:
My missus of 40+ years is pretty accommodating about my pipes, but objects to Latakia blends and, really, who is going to argue when the missus is coughing and her eyes are watering? Not me, brothers. I have a cozy little spot in the basement with my fly tieing stuff, some books and mags -- and a few friendly samples of my briar buddy collection. Works fine for both of us. We're talking about moving Nawth someday and I've said I plan to put one of those spiffy pre-fab sheds out in the yard where I'll keep my lawn mower, snowblower, pipe stuff, a comfy chair and a cot. She thinks I'm kidding. But that's how Thoreau lived on Walden Pond. Like other large mammals, the aging male homo sapien requires a bit of space from the herd, but continues to appreciate a hearty meatloaf sandwich and a cold beer. What I don't need is any steenkin drama.
Brother, I'm 28 and I feel ya there. Where there is drama is where I am not.

I have a "me" room where I store my cigars and pipe tobacco (and handguns, reloading equipment, books, CDs and other me things) but I choose to keep my house smoke-free because I greatly dislike the stench of a smokey home. I blame it on my wife but it's ultimately my choice, though I have indulged in a few smokes down in the basement when I'm working on a "me project".

When the weather is nice I'd rather sit outside to smoke anyway, and when the weather is not so nice I'm a five minute drive from the store and/or the Elk's Club which has a beautiful smoking library, cheap drinks and no women-folk around.

If I won the lottery and bought a nice big estate on a breezy hillside, I would make sure there was a hardwood-floored library, with floor to ceiling windows, that I could comfortably turn into a smoking room.

My girlfriend smokes cigarettes, but is trying to make the change to roll your own cigarettes with no chemical additives.

We have found that if we never crush cigarettes or cigars, and dispose of the butts promptly, the aroma left in our home is very pleasant. Same goes for inside our automobiles. ;)

I am of the school of thought that I bought my house, and pay my mortgage, so if I want to smoke inside I will. Although I just bought my buddies sectional, cant beat 25 dollars, so I am going to put my leather couches in the garage and set up a little reading and smoking space.