Interesting concept of "a place to smoke my pipe"....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gotten my wife to start smoking with me recently. She of course enjoys the sweeter and more "flavored" tobaccos, while I usually puff something english. She will smoke my english blends, but with reserve and doesn't enjoy them nearly as much as I. We have a nice smoking area setup in our garage and smoke there as we have young children that are in our home. The smoking area is temperature and humidity controlled, and we have two desks and bookshelves with computers and all of our smoking accessories and tobaccos encased in glass displays. I'll take a pic soon enough for you folks.

Well I guess there's one bonus to those that are confined to one area to smoke their pipe. If you're smoking the area out, you at least get left alone for a while!

Personally, I smoke my pipe just about anywhere in my house, excepting the bedroom (don't really want to smoke in bed anyway). I DO try to choose a non-Latakia for smoking in the wife's car.

This thread makes me sad. I'm sorry for those who have to "escape." My hobby is pipesmoking, my husband's is craft beer, and we support each other 100%. I buy him special drinking glasses, he buys me pipes, I go to beer tastings and he comes to our local B&M with me all the time and smells tobaccos with me. He listens to me go on and on about it, and I am so appreciative. I do have a "lady cave" but it's because I want a dedicated "sacred" space for my relaxation ritual, not because my smoke bothers him. I wish more couples would be so supportive of each other.

But there is definitely a generational difference. I told my Dad about man caves, and he said, "Isn't that what the whole house is for?"

My wife knows if we weren't renting I'd smoke in the house and I have I'm previous houses. The only time I wouldn't smoke indoors is when the little one was around . Just don't feel right smoking while he is in the same room. I have been contemplating a big bowl of eff it and smoke inside anyway let the owner keep my deposit. :twisted:

I grew up in the time when even non smokers had ashtrays for their guest. My parents did not smoke but many of their friends did.

When I lived by myself and still smoked cigarettes I always smoked outside. In part because I like being outside. In part because to me cigarettes stink.

Now married with two teen aged girls I smoke my pipe outside in part because I like being outside and in part to escape :lol:

If it get's too cold for me I'll go to the garage.

Could I smoke in the house if I wanted to? Sure - if I wanted to enforce my will that way. (Not judging those of you who do smoke in the house but that would be what it would be for me)

Just because I'm the biggest asshole in my house doesn't mean I always have to act like it... :lol: Some times I do act like it but that is on more important matters.

I understand if you're an old leather tongue, going outside or to a separate room to smoke seems silly. I get that. Some of us don't smoke as often as you and have different expectations when we do smoke.

I smoke outside or in the garage. I do so when I need the solitude. When I come back I am refreshed and a better husband and father. I don't seek solitude to escape, but to better engage. The smoke is a part of it, but isn't the main thing. My wife recognizes this and will ask if I'm planning to smoke when I really wasn't. She "gets" me.

There are exceptions: I smoke when doing yard work - particularly in the fall and winter. I smoke while setting up Christmas lights. I smoke around the camp fire with the whole family (using a nice aro that is both satisfying to me and comforting to them).

So, smoke however you want, but don't presume everyone's reason or expectation is the same as your own.

Solitude is a good word. Much better than escape.

I've always needed alone time. To think, contemplate or just be. My pipe gives me 30 minutes to an hour to do that.

Sometimes they come out and visit me. And that's okay too.

I live in a crappy apartment at the moment, but someday when I own a place I'll have a room dedicated to reading, entertaining guests, and smoking. A couple more large bookcases and maybe another cabinet for the liquor, along with a few comfortable chairs, and I'll be good to go. I already smoke pipes, in part, because I think people need ritual to ground them and give their lives rhythm and cadence, so smoking in one place just feels right. I'll probably always have a cob in the glovebox for traffic-y commutes, but other than that I really would love to have a single place to smoke, to read, to write, to contemplate and reflect.

I'm also lucky enough to have a woman in my life who enjoys the smell of pipe tobacco (even some of the latakia blends) and is actively interested in my hobby, though she doesn't smoke. So she will probably be joining me in my library more often than not. :D

The only places where I'm allowed to smoke are my studio and the patio. Period. The rest of the house is forbidden to me and my baccy :( :p When I was unmarried I used to smoke in my car also... Sometimes I miss those latakia smell...

I stopped smoking in the house before I met my wife so it isn't me trying to keep her happy as I smoke in the cars. I spend a lot of time in the garage and I always have a little something going on out there I tend to smoke as I muck about with whatever project I am currently on. That being said we have begun house hunting and when I told her we had to have a room for me to set up as a library (we are both avid readers) and smoking room her only response was "OK" so yeah she really has no problem with it. The only time I smoke in the house in when I am not feeling well and once a year when she goes to visit her family I throw a man party and its pipes stogies and whiskey all over the house.

I don't smoke in my office/studio so I spend a lot of time outside. My father smoked inside and I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke nor the smell of smoke in the rest of the house. I will smoke in my truck from time to time. I think it's an improvement over the smell of my engine running a little rich (I need new injectors).

List of things that I have found that repel women:
Smoking pipes and/or cigars
Old Trucks
Working on said truck
Fishing
Drinking cheap beer
Drinking good whiskey
Drinking with MY friends
Walks through the woods (not on trails)
Guns
Doing yard/garden work
Listening to metal music
Primitive camping
Astronomy
Practicing guitar (When you're performing, that's different)
Composing music
OMG SHOPPING... For items in this list
Building synthesizers and guitar pedals
Watching horror movies
Playing RPGs
Playing video games
Programming
Business networking
Reading fantasy and sci-fi books
Working on my side business

Guess what composes most of my list of favorite things is? My pipes are just one item in a looooong list. I can smoke while doing many of the activities on this list and I have a comfy chair on my porch. I enjoy the vacation from reality television. Too bad my lazyboy is in the living room. :(

I grew up in a house where both my mom and dad were 3 pack a day smokers (lucky strikes). when the old man was getting ready to sell the house I was cleaning the kitchen cabinets and the brown yurk just keep rolling off. all the pictures throughout had turn brindle and yellow. mom was a stay at home mom and a spotless housekeeper but the place smelled nasty. wife's parents both smoked heavy. I'll smoke in the house if the fireplace is going. I took over a corner bedroom as a man cave when my son left for college. put in a quiet suck and blow variable speed window fan, 2 old leather layZboys, I have a small flat screen, multiple computers, guns & ammo, fly fishing gear, books, Pioneer sx9000 receiver with cs88 speakers, turntable wine cooler made into a humi, wine cooler for wine & beer. I'm a happy camper and the house doesn't reek. I look at it the same as back in the day when gentlemen retired to their study to brandy, cigars and billiards. Only I do pipes, internet and bourbon.

I have always refrained from smoking indoors, even during my bachelorhood after a 13 year marriage ended (twelve years ago).

I hit the jackpot with my bride of one year (my junior of 12 years, incidentally)! She likes my pipe smoking and encourages it! My birthday was this month to which she purchased 5 tins of various Dunhill tobaccos as a gift. When I asked her about the selection, she stated that she recognized the name and liked the tins because they were "pretty" and wants to do some craft/art/framing with them when I am finished with them. She's a bit of an Anglophile, so I'm not surprised.

Still enjoying the honeymoon,

Lem

Hereward":p1b3ry0z said:
I don't smoke in my office/studio so I spend a lot of time outside. My father smoked inside and I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke nor the smell of smoke in the rest of the house. I will smoke in my truck from time to time. I think it's an improvement over the smell of my engine running a little rich (I need new injectors).

List of things that I have found that repel women:
Smoking pipes and/or cigars
Old Trucks
Working on said truck
Fishing
Drinking cheap beer
Drinking good whiskey
Drinking with MY friends
Walks through the woods (not on trails)
Guns
Doing yard/garden work
Listening to metal music
Primitive camping
Astronomy
Practicing guitar (When you're performing, that's different)
Composing music
OMG SHOPPING... For items in this list
Building synthesizers and guitar pedals
Watching horror movies
Playing RPGs
Playing video games
Programming
Business networking
Reading fantasy and sci-fi books
Working on my side business

Guess what composes most of my list of favorite things is? My pipes are just one item in a looooong list. I can smoke while doing many of the activities on this list and I have a comfy chair on my porch. I enjoy the vacation from reality television. Too bad my lazyboy is in the living room. :(
Great post. :lol: Considering I'm probably 90% along with this very complete list, it's a good thing my better half either ignores or joins me in these things. Not such a bad arrangement. My buddy Tom, on the other hand, now introduces prospective girlfriends to his synthesizers, guitars and other habits early on. If she can chill, she stays until the sex gets boring, then she abandons ship. One girl he plopped an old 80s synth in her lap and said, quite cartoonish, "ISN'T THIS COOL? PLAY IT!" She went along with the idea for about five minutes before she "had to go wash her hair." Too funny.

I still smoke outside. My real dream is making a great "pipe shed" in some owned property one day, a kind of tobacco-use cabana with all the comforts necessary but nothing to make one feel "enclosed." The great outdoors need to stay "great." :cheers:

The best "man cave" I've ever seen was when I found myself at an after after after party once at this fellows house that had a Key West themed bar / pool house / hide out. All aged wood and bamboo with a tin roof. Talk about cool. The swimming pool even had a stone grotto and waterfall. It reminded me of a theme park.

I agree with you Kyle, I'd settle for a small air conditioned workshop. I've always wanted to build a garage apartment though. I could insulate the walls and be as loud as I want to be. My brother, friends and I get increasing louder with each beer.

I'm also thinking about screening in part of my deck and topping it with a tin roof. Add a nice wood burning stove and instant sheltered outdoor comfort. :)

People can be weird about music instruments. If you don't play something they recognize, they lose interest quickly. I have a whole theory on dealing with that.

Yes, the theory is you tie them up in a chair and force them listen to "the process" of composition with said instrument until they either learn to gloss over or tapping their toe. :) Nothing like voltage force-tuning an old analog synth back to 440 with all oscillators on "sine" for half an hour (it can never be too "tuned!")--maybe it was my days as a violist and obsessing about pitch that turned me into the monster I am today. :p

Meanwhile, for me, the less walls the better. Solid wall with gentle wrap-around toward the windy side of the yard, roof over the top, preferably something translucent, and made of a material that sounds awesome when the hail hammers down on it. That's all I really need. :)

8)

My wife is totally cool with my smoking pipe. But we have two little boys, and I prefer not to smoke around them in the house. Outside or in my cave is another matter. My wife even spots pipes for me on eBay and enjoys the pipe, so its just our decision about the boys, 5 & 9. I've converted our garage into a comfortable smoking den, with cast iron wood stove. Altho I'll smoke in the house when the boys are at school. We have a kick ass fan in the bathroom, and smoking while seated on the porcelain bowl is one of my favorite activities. But I likes me cave, where I'm free to light up, listen to Ol' Jerry G and enjoy me pipes.

IMAG0124-1-1-1.jpg

I like Kyle's attitude and opinion on this. I got lucky..my wife understands that I had a life before we met and certain habits along with it. Just yesterday she was in a thrift store looking for bargins and came up with a signed copy of the Ultimate Pipe Book by Hacker, a 15 hole pipe stand, three locking ceramic jars, everything but the partridge in a pear tree. All it takes is for your partner to be thinking about your needs in addition to her own. Like I said, I got lucky! She does not smoke and has a sensitive nose, so I can't smoke in the same room with her or in the car, but the wonderful porch over looking the woods always makes up for the inconvenience. The 4AM smoke in 38 degree temperature is frosty and exhilerating. Kyle is right about that nicotine on the walls and everything..it is really nasty and tough to get off.
Beautiful collection, Kashmir!
Love this site, guys. You really make a member feel like we are right there with you. I'm an old fart so all this is new to me (talk about living in a cave).