Interesting Discussion with My Daughter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
While my daughter was at my house yesterday to install the Eero mesh router system, I brought up the subject of my wishes for my burial. My attorney's mother died a couple of weeks ago and when I made a condolence call, we spoke about "final instructions" and he said it's never too soon to lay out specific plans.

I told my daughter that I wanted to limit funeral expenses; that they'd become ridiculously high for private burials. We'd never discussed the cost of my wife's funeral and my daughter was stunned when I told her that 13 years ago, it was almost $20,000 and I didn't want my daughters to piss away some of their inheritance dropping me in the ground; that I wanted to be buried at the Fort Snelling National Cemetery, 15 minutes from my house, and at the government's expense.

She was adamant. "When the time comes, you'll be buried next to Mom in the plot you already own. I don't care what you want or the money saved."

When I'm dead, it's their money and my daughters can spend it as they see fit, but I feel as though they should respect my wishes. I'm not going pursue it any further.

We placed one of the Eero satellites in the finished basement where all my pipes are in racks. My daughter asked, "Dad, what do you plan on doing with all these pipes? (about 70) The time is coming when you'll either be moving to a condo or apartment and virtually all have rules against smoking." I told her that in the next few months, I'd decide what to do, but I'm really not sure. I'd already given my daughters almost all of the high grades and they'd been sold on Ebay.

On second thought, I may just put together some groups of pipes to be sold as "lots". I do not have the patience nor desire to list individual pipes. My older daughter sells lots of my stuff on Ebay and I have her keep whatever $$ she gets.

Last edited: