Interesting Flavors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepernick

Reaction score
Has anyone ever detected a flavor in a tobacco that they have never detected even though you are somewhat familiar with a blend?

I am nearly through a tin of FMOTT. Today during the charring light I detected the flavor of Lay's Potato Chips :scratch: It was only there for a second and then gone and has not returned so far through the first half of the bowl.

I am on an English kick today. I smoked some Penzance about an hour and a half ago while washing the truck. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or what. I'm cornfused :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

You can avoid this by not eating Lay's potato chips while packing a pipe :pipe:

How do you know it's Lay's chips and not Pringles or something else? :scratch:

Also, were they plain or bbq? :?:

It was plain and no, I wasn't eating Lay's while packing my pipe, I used them as a topping for the tobacco. :D JK

jeepernick":n1igkfej said:
Has anyone ever detected a flavor in a tobacco that they have never detected even though you are somewhat familiar with a blend?

I am nearly through a tin of FMOTT. Today during the charring light I detected the flavor of Lay's Potato Chips :scratch:
Jeeper,

I would not find that all that surprising with a Frog Morton blend. They probably spilled some Lays in there along with the Malt Vinegar and Ketsup during the curing and blending process.

Justpipes":u24e5ez2 said:
jeepernick":u24e5ez2 said:

I am nearly through a tin of FMOTT. Today during the charring light I detected the flavor of Lay's Potato Chips :scratch:
Jeeper,

I would not find that all that surprising with a Frog Morton blend. They probably spilled some Lays in there along with the Malt Vinegar and Ketsup during the curing and blending process.
JP's probably not too far off. Some blenders use acetic acid as a humectant, which is the characteristic 'ketchup' aroma. That may be the source of the aroma. Or, you can stop storing your tobacco in used potato chip bags. Seal-top baggies are cheap enough.

morleysson":bc3ft43f said:
Justpipes":bc3ft43f said:
jeepernick":bc3ft43f said:

Jeeper,

JP's probably not too far off. Some blenders use acetic acid as a humectant, which is the characteristic 'ketchup' aroma. That may be the source of the aroma. Or, you can stop storing your tobacco in used potato chip bags. Seal-top baggies are cheap enough.
Thanks Bob! I always wondered what that ketsup aroma is in McClelland blends. I just never can get past it.

Natch":w4bbbvj5 said:
I'll bet you couldn't smoke just one bowl?!? :mrgreen:

Natch
I was wondering when that was coming! :lol:

Leave it to Mr. Natural. :eek:

On a more serious note, every now and then I'll be smoking a fine, rich Va. blend and I'll get this odd almost tickling sensation in the back of my throat. It's an identical feeling I get when I'm enjoying a really rich piece of chocolate or rich piece of cheese cake or something really sweet and really rich and really bad for you. Wonderful feeling that I quite enjoy. No particular blend of tobacco will do it consistently, it seems to occur only when I'm smoking one of my favorite Va's in a good pipe on a fine day in the woods, and all the planets are perfectly aligned, and all the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are running towards me, and...., OK, OK, so all these don't have to happen at once, it doesn't have to be in the woods. :mrgreen:

Natch

Jeff,

You had your glasses on backwards, those cheerleaders were running away from you.
:D
Mike

do you have kids
my small kids have tried my pipes without tobacco and without me knowing after eating chips lol

No kids just three dogs. I would expect to see more teeth marks if they got a hold of the pipes :) Maybe it's the dieting, tasting something I was craving at the moment.