Interracial marriage in the United States

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I always get a charge out of James Spader. At the end of each episode of Boston Legal when he and Wm. Shattner would have a cocktail and smoke cigars, I always felt like I wanted to join them. I watch the Blacklist primarily to see James Spader at work. I believe he's also the executive producer. On this past Friday's episode, Spader's character has a passionate affair with Anne, played by LaChanze, an award winning African American actress, that wikipedia says is 60, the same age as Spader. I thought to myself, "how times have changed in the last few years." I don't recall, even in the 1990s, seeing an interracial kiss on TV. I think it'll be far more common in the future. Interracial marriage in the U.S. is almost 18% and the number is growing.

When I was in high school in the early 1960s, the U.S. was reacting to the Russians putting Sputnik in space. I was placed in an advanced science and math program. One of the girls in both my science and math class was Black. She was incredibly smart and beautiful and it took all my courage to ask her out on a date. She said she'd love to go out with me, but no, she would not; her parents wouldn't allow it,and the gossip at school would be unbearable. For years, we'd pass by one another in the hall and just touch hands, nothing more.
Ultimately, she married an African American man who today is a multi-millionaire philanthropist. Their marriage didn't last long and she died in her mid 40s.
The times, they are a'changin'

I enjoyed that show and felt the same about hanging out with the guys with a cigar. Some days I watch the Youtube cigar videos on my phone while having a smoke on the porch. A virtual herf in an odd way.

The supposedly first "interracial" kiss on American TV was between Capt. Kirk (William Shatner) and Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) on the original Star Trek series. In actuality, the first "interracial" kiss was between the same Capt. Kirk (gets around, doesn't he!!) and the actress France Nuyen in an earlier show on the same series. Neither of these "interracial" kisses received much fanfare; the fireworks for the one between Kirk and Uhura didn't happen. Both were almost "non-events." Point is that "interracial" should not just mean between black & white; it's meaning is much broader. FWIW...FTRPLT

In college back in the early 70s I met a black girl from Chicago. She was beautiful, intelligent, talented, and had a great and funny personality. While interracial dating was starting then on the west coast, this was the midwest and not widely accepted. We had a few dates but she just wasn't ready to buck the trend at the time. I guess I wasn't either although I thought of myself as very open minded. Amazing how things have changed.

...actuality, the first "interracial" kiss was between the same Capt. Kirk and the actress France Nuyen in an earlier show on the same series.
Maybe it was only 50% interracial?
From the wiki: France Nguyen was born in Marseille, France. Her mother was French, and her father Vietnamese, though Miss Nguyen stated that he was "probably of Chinese origin". During World War II, her mother and grandfather were persecuted by the Nazis for being gypsies. Nguyen was raised in Marseille by a cousin she calls was the only person who gave a damn about her.
1619116051715.jpeg
Looks pretty good for age 81.

Today, I was watching The Blacklist and flipped the station. It's become a contrived soap opera.

Today, I was watching The Blacklist and flipped the station. It's become a contrived soap opera.
It sure has I used to really like it. i watched a few minutes of the blacklist this evening. I just couldn’t get into i.