Interview the poster below you

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this on another forum and thought it might be worth a try.

Post a general question, then the next poster answers it and posts another question and so on. The questions can be anything from trivial to serious to obscure, but must remain within the forum guidelines.

For example, you can ask:

- What's your worst/best memory of high school and why?
- What was your favourite pet you had as a child and why?
- If you knew today was your last day on Earth, how would you spend it and why?
- What is the most rewarding experience you have had and what made it so?
- Who or what inspires you and why?

So to the person below me:

What are you talented at and do you use it creatively and perhaps to your advantage, monetarily or otherwise?

Cheers,

RR

Hey, great idea Rande!

I'll jump in here then!

I like to write, more for my own pleasure at the moment and to capture my thoughts. Whilst in the mountains I'll start to write 'creatively' if the mood takes. I never set out to write creatively and wait until I'm inspired.

Monetarily, as it happens I've started to write a book (very slowly), not so much as a money maker, but more as a means to capture my thoughts in one place and it'll be something for my children too.

My question for the next poster...

Other than a pipe, what do you look forward to?

In the short term I look forward to surfing once a week.  There are about 5 decent beaches with swells down the road from the town where I live.  Weather is getting cold these days but I recently got a 5mm wetsuit that should keep me toasty through the winter.  I love being in the ocean whether it be waiting for waves or catching them.  I also like just snorkeling about the rocky areas of the shoreline because there is a lot to see down there usually.  I need that change in my reality once a week to remind me that there is more to life than just work and home.

In the long term I look forward to moving to Canada in a few years time.  I have a bit more work experience to get under my belt (I'm in my first year of being a principal) before returning. And my wife is still about a year away from attaining the highest level of Ta Kwon Do certification (Sa Beom) which would enable her to teach or run a Tae Kwon Do jang in Canada.  But I greatly look forward to the day when my son and daughter can see and experience many of the places I did while growing up in British Columbia.

Next poster's question:

What do you consider your greatest accomplishment in life so far?

OK, I'll play...........

I feel my greatest accomplishment is having raised children that are capable of standing on their hind legs. To wit, all are gainfully employed, are involved in strong and good family structures, and despite their environment, have more than a cautiously optimistic view of their futures. I see my immortality in them............

My question for the next poster............

Is there joy in what you do?

I'll jump in on this one!

Wiz asked "Is there joy in what you do?"

As most of what I've done for the last 20 years involves raising my girls, I'm happy to report that yes, there has been joy. And also tears, stress, anxiety and frustration, almost in equal measure. :D

I've been primarily a stay at home Dad since my older girl was 18 months old. Not a planned "career transition", but our sitter was on Strike Three and my contract at work was coming to an end, so the decision was made. Must admit that the household was happier overnight, proof that this was the right call. Not always the easy path, but definitely the right one.

I'm also a self-described "professional amateur" on almost all fronts, and usually have a project underway or in planning. I take a lot of satisfaction learning new skills and applying them to whatever I'm working on. My girls have even picked up a skill or two along the way - they're only a little frightening with power tools now! :affraid: :cheers:

Question for the next person: Which one book would you choose to have on a desert island?

ontariopiper":u8fjoj2l said:
Question for the next person: Which one book would you choose to have on a desert island?
'The Complete Works of Plato' -- not that I'm a huge fan of Plato, but it's long and complicated, certainly giving me plenty to think about.

If you could ask any 19th century person one question, who would you ask/what would you ask?

DrT999":zgekvbzk said:
If you could ask any 19th century person one question, who would you ask/what would you ask?
I would ask Thomas Jefferson why he continued to take credit for authoring the Declaration of Independence, even after the (somewhat understandable) politically expedient reasons for obscuring the identity of the original author (Thomas Paine) no longer applied.

To the next poster: What is the meaning of life?

newjok10.png

Vito":v6g0tyfb said:
DrT999":v6g0tyfb said:

To the next poster: What is the meaning of life?

newjok10.png
To be happy , to learn , to love , to be loved

If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?

If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?

I would be true to myself at an earlier age. Rather than be concerned about other people's opinions and ideas of who I should or would be. With that being said, I can't say I would honestly go back to change it because I don't think I would be where I am at now. I really like where I'm at now. :)

Where is the one place you want to visit above all others before you die?

That's a tough question because there are so many interesting places to see in this world.

If I had to narrow it down to just one I'd pick the Nurburgring in Germany. I'd love to drive the Nordschleife or North Course in one of the rental race prepped cars you can hire. I picked this location because it is something I will probably try to do at some point if life allows. It also means travelling to Germany so there are many other things to see while there  :D

My question is what is your favorite work of fiction? Do you own a dog eared copy of the book or have you gone digital?

The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey. He seemed to touch base on a lot of the character flaws that make us human beings. Close second to The Favorite Game by Leonard Cohen. Both well used books, non-digital.

So, to the next victim of our interrogation thread, what is the biggest mistake you've ever made, that you can look back and just laugh at the ridiculousness of the end result?

Lesath":q3ptx3cb said:
The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey.  He seemed to touch base on a lot of the character flaws that make us human beings.  Close second to The Favorite Game by Leonard Cohen. Both well used books, non-digital.

So, to the next victim of our interrogation thread, what is the biggest mistake you've ever made, that you can look back and just laugh at the ridiculousness of the end result?
That's difficult to decide, as I've made some very bad decisions in the past.

On balance I would have to say my prior 2 marriages. The first was down to being too young and immature (we both were actually), and the second was down to us both rushing into it before really getting to know one another properly first.

Can I look back and laugh at the ridiculousness of this? To a degree, yes. Including and especially the first one. Not so much on the second. Suffice to say that I'm permanently soured on "relationships". Catch me over a beer sometime. Too much to go into here.

My question to the next poster-

What is your purpose in life?

Cheers,

RR

Hey! There's no one below me, what the @$&!*?

What is your purpose in life?

When I was younger, I supposed that this question means something like what Hillary Clinton means when she says, "I want to make a difference." Not to pick on Hillary, lots of people have affirmed this thought. It may be part of the DNA of someone who would consider running for Prez. Richard Nixon used to compare himself to the "man in the arena." It's a view of the world from 40,000 feet.

All well and good, but the older I get the more inclined I am to try to do what positive thing needs to be done right around me in the short term. It's taking the view from ground level. I choose to donate that spare $100 to my grand boy's college fund rather than to rebuild Haiti or whatever. It's hard to make a difference in this big old world, but I can see a difference in the part around me. Maybe humility comes with a bit of age.

I've always been intrigued by a question memorably asked by Dr. Freud: "Dear God, what do women want?"

Okay, my first Q was too . . . something. So here's a new one:  did you ever own a car you wish you had back? What and why?

P.S. Just FYI, The best answer I ever heard to the question "What do women want?" came from the keenly observant Geoffrey Chaucer a few centuries back. In four words:  "governance over the male."

P.P.S. Stick -- You let that car go!?!? Ye must have been daft, man!

Easy one this for me Kev...

This one:

And why? Heck, just take a look at it!

My question:

If you could have dinner with one person (from the past or present), who would it be and what would you discuss?

Stick":osry33aa said:
If you could have dinner with one person (from the past or present), who would it be and what would you discuss?
Easy: Robert Rosen, a pioneer in complexity theory, and one of the foremost epistemologists in the history of science. I would discuss, naturally, complexity theory...particularly as it applies to anticipatory systems...specifically, the humanoids of Planet Earth and the evolution of civilization.

My question for the next poster: If you could have anything for Christmas, what would it be?

849.png

Vito":v7mwft4m said:
Stick":v7mwft4m said:
Easy: Robert Rosen, a pioneer in complexity theory, and one of the foremost epistemologists in the history of science. I would discuss, naturally, complexity theory...particularly as it applies to anticipatory systems...specifically, the humanoids of Planet Earth and the evolution of civilization.

My question for the next poster: If you could have anything for Christmas, what would it be?

849.png
Truth. No beauty. Just truth.

My question for the next poster..............

How do you feel?

Ozark Wizard":i7ha1mju said:
Vito":i7ha1mju said:

849.png
Truth. No beauty. Just truth.

My question for the next poster..............

How do you feel?
Well, physically I feel about as well as can be expected considering the fact that today is a bad day, back-pain-wise.

But on the upside, I just solved a technical problem with one of the 4-track tape machines I'm using to digitize over 4,000 hours of tape recorded lectures for one of my clients. (It was a head alignment problem.) So that feels pretty good.

But I think the thing I feel best about is the fact that there's another humanoid on Planet Oith who actually values the truth enough to want it above all else. That's a pretty doggone good thang, Ozzie. Good on ya, bro'.

Just hadda say that. So I'll pass the same question on to the next poster: How do you feel?

849.png

Vito":k1puq3gp said:
Well, physically I feel about as well as can be expected considering the fact that today is a bad day, back-pain-wise.

But on the upside, I just solved a technical problem with one of the 4-track tape machines I'm using to digitize over 4,000 hours of tape recorded lectures for one of my clients. (It was a head alignment problem.) So that feels pretty good.

But I think the thing I feel best about is the fact that there's another humanoid on Planet Oith who actually values the truth enough to want it above all else. That's a pretty doggone good thang, Ozzie. Good on ya, bro'.

Just hadda say that. So I'll pass the same question on to the next poster: How do you feel?

849.png
I'll answer the same way my Dad did during the last years of his life when he was asked. "Usually with my Hands."

Next question: Why are we here? :)

AJ