Introducing myself

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravkesef

Reaction score
I've posted a small number of times on various topics, but never introduced myself on the forum, so here goes:
Hi Everybody,

I'm a relative noob on this forum. I'm a retired rabbi ( it's all in my profile.) My screen name, ravkesef, means Rabbi Silver in Hebrew, since that's my name. It also means "lots of money," but that's a joke. Maybe someday, but being retired, I see no way for that to happen. Unless of course I win the lottery, but they tell me you've got to buy a ticket for that to happen.
I've been smoking a pipe for 54 years (do the math--it means I started in 1959.) I guess that makes me clear proof for the dangers of pipe smoking. My docs and my dentist say that they don't approve, but they can find no evidence that I smoke a pipe. In fact, my dentist tells me that if he didn't know from my telling him, he'd never spot it from my teeth and mouth. Hear that guys--it means brush and floss fastidiously!
Of course in half a century of pipe smoking, I have managed to acquire a nice sized collection--about 100 pipes, including 6 Charatans (Lane Era,) 10 GBDs (from the 60s and 70s,) 6 Connoisseurs (including 2 not-yet smoked,) 5 Dunhills (3 Bruyere, 1 shell, and 1 tanshell ( 70s and 80s,) 2 Comoys (again from the 70s,) a W.O. Larsen freehand straight grain that SWMBO got me for my 40th birthday, 3 Boswells (worth far more than they charge, but don't tell them that,) 2 Paolo Becker that I picked up on a visit to his atelier in Rome last year, and two L'Anatras (the most underpriced pipe you can buy these days,) 1 Claudio Cavicchi, and various other pipes some made by top notch craftsmen (Scott Thile, Steve Morisette,) a few Stanwells, and several others, all of them wonderful smokers.
My tastes in tobacco run to English blends, though I just finished a bowl of Sutliffe's Great Outdoors in a L'Anatra billiard, and I still have an unopeneed 8 ounce tin of Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend that I've had since the mid 70s. Right--the old stuff, when it was still made by Balkan Sobranie and occasionally even had the BS parchment disk inside. I opened my next to the last tin of that a few months ago while I was on the phone chatting with Premal and sent him half. He loved it as much as I did.
I married my doctor (she's a veterinarian,) 35 years ago, and we have three grown sons. The oldest is a captain in the 10th Mountain, recently returned from his second overseas tour, and finishing up a master's in International Security at the University of Denver, the middle son works in animal care, and the youngest is in his second year at Boston College Law School, and made Law Review.
I'm also a retired naval officer (my life before I was a rabbi,) and served in amphibs, submarines, and River Patrol in the Mekong Delta (Bronze Star and Purple Heart.)
So that's my story-the basics, anyway, and gives you a brief intro to the site's newest member. Eventually I'll figure out how to post pics, and so forth.
best,
Eric

Welcome to BoB.

Quite an exciting and fruitful life....congratulations.

Walt

ravkesef":cowzxqw5 said:
I've posted a small number of times on various topics, but never introduced myself on the forum, so here goes:
Hi Everybody,
I married my doctor (she's a veterinarian,) 35 years ago, and we have three grown sons.  
best,
Eric
Boy, You must be some animal ravkeef!  :p 

Welcome aboard!

Oh! And my name has nothing to do with whom I am, just the opposite to be truthful.
Then Why? Long stupid story . :fpalm: 

Welcome Rabbi, I'm pretty new to BOB myself. I believe I've seen your posts on another forum for awhile ?

What a back story! You should write a book!

Welcome to BoB!

Welcome! Seems you'd fit right in with all the great stories and pipes of this forum!

Great introduction and welcome.
I had a friend that was River Patrol on the Delta. Tough gig.

Now all I have to do is to get you and the all of the other Connecticut pipesters together at Big Buddha!!!!

Nice to see you over here too!

Barukh haba, Rabbi. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I heard an interview with you on the Pipes Magazine Radio show? It's very good to have you here. Please weigh in often. Many happy returns.