Irregular Cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Once in awhile, I'll notice that the cake on a pipe will be built up irregularly, i.e. thicker on around 270 degrees of the bowl, very much thinner on the remaining.

Usually it's the far side of the bowl which remains thinner, but that's not exclusive.

I must stress that this is NOT the case on all of my pipes, just a few of the ones I smoke, which makes the solving of this problem all the more vexing. I suppose I should add that ALL of my smoking is done outside, which includes the winter months, which is done 98% of the time in my tool shed, which I of course have arranged to have the appropriate relaxation pipe meditation space.

So, what is the root cause of this problem?

I see that a bit too. I believe it's  because pipes tend to hang a bit downward, even straights, so the back is hotter than the front so  more burning going on, forming more carbon in the back. I don't  worry about it, just one of those pipe peccadilloes.

Slowroll, I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head. That makes perfect sense, especially when I think of how I'm smoking my pipe; I'm in the long process of getting extensive dental work (implants), so I just can't clench like the old days, The pipe just kiinda "hangs" from my teeth and most of the time I'm looking downward at my silly IPhone, since there's not too much else to gaze at and meditate on when you're in a cold shed. In the warmer seasons I'm able to relax and look outward at the garden, trees, birds,, etc. What's missing from this scene is my dog, who we had to put down in October after 11 1/2 years. But I digress....................

Ahh, i feel for you about the dog. My wife and I are miserable at the loss of a dog when it happens. The only problem with dogs is they don't live long enough.

A few minutes with a bit of sandpaper will even up matters. When my dentist recommended implants, my primary observed, “You have plenty of good biting surface. Someone your age doesn’t need implants. “ Sobering. Very sorry to hear about your dog.

Pretty sure this is your problem. It really doesn't take much of a temperature differential to cause this either. As pointed out just touch it up with some sandpaper and try not to worry over it. Sorry to hear about your dog. I'm sure you'll find yourself another little friend in due time. We can't not have a pup around as I'd just be lost without one.

Jim

The pipe you can fix. Losing your puppy pal is tough. Had to put our little girl dog down about three months ago :( :( . I still miss her :( FTRPLT

ftrplt":r4410y02 said:
The pipe you can fix. Losing your puppy pal is tough. Had to put our little girl dog down about three months ago :( :( . I still miss her :( FTRPLT

I feel for you guys. We had to put our yellow lab down in September. She was 14. I think our 10 year old wiener dog misses her also.

Ya, come to think of it I get the irregular cake build up occasionally and always wondered why. And I don't clench much anymore due to my tendency to inflict bite marks (never been one to get on with the rubber thingies).

The aforementioned analysis makes perfect sense. And as virtually all of my pipes are in some form of bent, it only serves to realize that the cake would build up as stated.

guinness-brilliant1.jpg

Cheers,

RR

This happens to, I would guess, the majority of pipe smokers. I use a Decatur Pipe Knife, which is a triangular-bladed knife which allows me to work the walls of the cake and to even it out.

Russ

blendtobac":7e0o4ivb said:
This happens to, I would guess, the majority of pipe smokers. I use a Decatur Pipe Knife, which is a triangular-bladed knife which allows me to work the walls of the cake and to even it out.

Russ
Always great to have you posting here and sharing your knowledge Russ!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR