Is it mold?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filmaker

Reaction score

Hi gangs. I opened one of my mason jar contained dunhill deluxe navy roll. and I've found some unusual thing on the tobacco.
Do u think is it mold?

Is what you’re asking about that really white patch that looks like a piece of toenail paper in the top photo?

If so, it certainly isn’t “bloom”. What’s it feel like? Is it thick & heavy? Light and tears easily? Need more data.

Blackhorse":228eb5ng said:
Is what you’re asking about that really white patch that looks like a piece of toenail paper in the top photo?

If so, it certainly isn’t “bloom”.  What’s it feel like?  Is it thick & heavy?  Light and tears easily?  Need more data.
yes, it is. and second picture is I took it out couple of them from the tobacco. It is very soft and looks fluffy. and I can find on the crunchy tobacco's stem part only. Usually the stem part is hard but it doesn't have hard feeling anymore. very light and tears very easily just like a cotton.

Hmmm. I’m certainly no expert on this, but from your comments I’d have to guess that it IS some firm of mold. Again, it’s not bloom, so that leaves just mold.

But it’s odd. It’s SO white and thick looking. It doesn’t look like a mold formation. Looks sorta like spider web.

Blackhorse":sxac30kp said:
Hmmm.  I’m certainly no expert on this, but from your comments I’d have to guess that it IS some firm of mold.  Again, it’s not bloom, so that leaves just mold.

But it’s odd.  It’s SO white and thick looking.  It doesn’t look like a mold formation.  Looks sorta like spider web.
It feels like it's in the middle of decaying now. because it supposed to hard but it has become super soft.

Hmmm. Well, my advice, given we don’t know WHAT it is, would be to chuck it all. If it IS mold, by the time the white fruiting part shows itself there are runners all throughout the rest of the tobacco. I wouldn’t be ingesting that stuff.

Blackhorse":fpl2oai2 said:
Hmmm.  Well, my advice, given we don’t know WHAT it is, would be to chuck it all.  If it IS mold, by the time the white fruiting part shows itself there are runners all throughout the rest of the tobacco.  I wouldn’t be ingesting that stuff.  
I took it out from the tobacco and I've tried to smoke around 1/3of bowl yesterday and it was fine. actually The taste was better than original though.lol. and I decide it not to smoke anymore. I feel little frustrated because I kept it for 4year for aging, and I cannot buy it anymore since we cannot get ST version of dunhill de luxe navy roll, unfortunately. Anyway I appreciate ur advise.

Doesn't particulary look like mold but it's definitely not plume. Looks more like a foriegn object, lint off a sweater or something. Most everyone that has experienced finding mold in a tin will testify to the fact that it gives off a most unpleasant aroma.

The fact that your navy rolls smelled good and tasted good tells me that it's not mold, but I think you're better off safe than sorry.

Is it mouse hide? I often find bits of rope, or twine in certain brands. The photo does not have enough resolution for me to tell. But it kinda has that look of critter hide, or cloth.