Is my smart phone spying on me?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
A few days ago I went into a mens clothing store, few hours later there are spam advertisements in my email from them. I don't subscribe to their email list. Then I went into a big chain grocery store I rarely frequent and again email ads a few hours later. Today I visited a flyshop in town to get a couple of things and when I got home, you guessed it, email ads from two different fly fishing companies I don't do business with.

I think Big Brother is using my phone to fund global dominance by selling advertising leads :shock:

Well, yah! Pschah!

Location, surveillance cameras, habits, purchasing history, web search history, e t frackin' c!

Don't worry, Big Bro got this! If you read the EULA on all the apps you give your privacy away!

Smile! I can see you on Google Earth!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uiDMlFycNrw" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Of course your smart phone is spying on you. So is the chip in your credit/debit cards. And you agreed to let both do so via 87 pages of User Agreements you clicked the button claiming you read and agree to.

I'm going make a little tinfoil hat for my smart phone. That'll teach em.

I am not the least surprised. Everything is geared towards making us consume, consume, consume. All the time. Look at Facebook, or a forum like BoB. Pay attention to the publicity displayed. Ads will pop up that are related to some of the browsing done on your computer.
All this is starting to aggravate me to the point where I am about to simply stop using a computer, tablet, mobile, etc.
Seriously.

I imagine if a guy turned off the gps and used the private browser function on his devices most of this would stop.

Question:   What does it matter?  I couldn't care less if the companies that produce things I like send me coupons and such. No one is forcing me to purchase anything and at least this way my spam box and imbedded ads are crap I like.

Brewdude":tjm79pz6 said:
One of the reasons I don't own a smart phone. I get enough spam and adverts as it is.

:x

Cheers?

RR
I agree! ;)

PB, it only matters in the sense that the greater implication is that in America your privacy is sacred, you'll not be spied upon without just cause, and Big Brother is not watching you. Plus the notion that since the technology is already in place for every citizen to willingly carry a monitoring device they may as well just do away with any privacy laws and avoid anymore of those homeland security type infringement percsptions on the states right to own you.

But yeah, they aren't getting anything interesting by monitoring me.

I still use a Trac flip phone (no data) and pay for it via paypal. I rarely use credit cards except when traveling. I have a Kindle Fire I use for play and a laptop that is only used for paying bills and spending money. I have 2 email accounts one on each. If a clerk ask for my zip or phone number I make up something.

Puff Daddy":wiicxjy4 said:
A few days ago I went into a mens clothing store, few hours later there are spam advertisements in my email from them. I don't subscribe to their email list. Then I went into a big chain grocery store I rarely frequent and again email ads a few hours later. Today I visited a flyshop in town to get a couple of things and when I got home, you guessed it, email ads from two different fly fishing companies I don't do business with.

I think Big Brother is using my phone to fund global dominance by selling advertising leads :shock:
Why do you think they call it a "smart" phone? They were designed with making money for others. It's Capitolism at it's finest! You are an Amurican aren't you? As Bertolt Brecgt said in the Three Penny Opers "... money makes the world go round .." :twisted: :twisted: