Is perique sweet to anyone else?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster

Reaction score
I've noticed a theme in testing (non aromatic) tobaccos. It seems the ones where I actually taste a sugary sweetness, on the tongue, (not necessarily a sweet smell) seem to all contain perique. Could perique be the cause?

taste being subjective, I find all the blends I smoke which have perique are all very sweet but more of a fruity sweetness. of course it would depend on the blend. in my view the more perique the better! I have never had too much perique. I once had a bowl of straight perique, almost got sick. it really takes some skill to blend in those subtle differences in a blend.

Have you been smoking VaPers with a large portion of red VA's in them? It could just be the VA that's sweet - maybe try something with lots of reds and no perique and see if that's sweet.

I experience perique as a tickle on the back of my mouth, not as sweet.

Buddy

vaperfavour":qc39onci said:
taste being subjective, I find all the blends I smoke which have perique are all very sweet but more of a fruity sweetness. of course it would depend on the blend. in my view the more perique the better! I have never had too much perique. I once had a bowl of straight perique, almost got sick. it really takes some skill to blend in those subtle differences in a blend.
I love the stuff, too, but I may have found one with a little too much.
Mebbie I just got a tin that wasn't mixed well enough, like
getting a bite of stew with too much salt, but C&D Exclusive
has a load of Perique. I like it, I'm not saying it isn't good,
but I have been mixing it with McB Navy Mixture and others.

I wonder.

So far FMOTB, Home from the hills, haddo's delight, and Plantation evening all have a sweet tangy taste, on the tongue, as if I was sipping an actual drink through the pipe. I love it, especially combined with oriental and latakia to darken the aroma. Haddo's was sickenly sweet to me and I couldn't finish a bowl, the one listed above that has no latakia (and some kind of rum casing)

Notably, plantation evening was sweet on my tongue, whereas yale mixture was not. Yale is similar but without the orientals and perique.

Funny... I find the fig-like smell of Perique to be very sweet and intoxicating, but the flavor is much darker.

-Andrew

Buster":cvie2yd0 said:
I've noticed a theme in testing (non aromatic) tobaccos. It seems the ones where I actually taste a sugary sweetness, on the tongue, (not necessarily a sweet smell) seem to all contain perique. Could perique be the cause?
The perique could well be increasing your perception of sweetness, but it's not likely exactly the cause in and of itself. Perique is a remarkable tobacco, and can be used in different ways to get different results in a blend. You might find my article The Pleasures and Perils of Perique of some interest; it discusses some of these things in somewhat more detail.

Cheers,
Greg