Is smoking your pipe important to you?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuluCollector

Reaction score
I am typically hesitant to post links to A Passion for Pipes blog posts since I know that it gets old really fast.

This post is one that I hope you read and act upon. Click here.

For those of you who do not reside in the United States, I apologize that this post is America-centric in terms of action. I know that we are a worldwide community. Still, I think that the messages in the post may be thought-provoking or helpful in your own nation.

Good article Neill.

The anti's view that we're too blind to see and need to be saved from ourselves is very true. My whole family is in the health care profession so I've heard it all for years. I think the anti smoking hysteria is far worse in the US than the rest of the world, but it's spreading for sure.

All I can say is cellar up!!

Yes, good article. It is indeed time to act!

I was watching the national news (NBC I think) yesterday evening and they were talking about how obesity causes cancer. They treated the subject as if it were fact rather than opinion. The doctor they interviewed suggested that the anti-tobacco fascists (my word, not the doctor’s) redirect their cause towards obesity instead, suggesting it kills more people than cigarettes. There will always be do-gooders who know more than you out there looking for some cause from which to protect you.

MisterE, unfortunately, the anti-smoking hysteria is as bad in Canada as it is in the U.S.

I'm a member of Cigar Rights of America, even though I am Canadian. I feel that by helping with the American cause, I am indirectly helping my own.

Ya know people are going to do what they do.
No ones going to stop me from smoking and I'm not going to stop them from eating at McDonald's. If a person doesn't realize what he or she is doing to themselves by over eating, eating the wrong things, not exercising, smoking cigarettes etc. there only fooling themselves. I know what may or may not happen to me because of what I do to my body and I have accepted that. At least I'll die happy.
And, I seldom leave the house anymore so I smoke in my own space so it doesn't bother or come in contact with anyone.

Yes, that is an excellent article. We need to speak out. Pipe smoking stabilizes our sanity.

Yes it is. Two immediate thoughts relative to improvements in my life quality are slowing down, while I enjoy my smokes to listen to music, to enjoy nature, to read, and to just contemplate thoughts that flow through my head. Secondly are the new male contacts and friendships that I have been so very fortunate to make though pipe smoking internet communities. Guys are "pack animals" and it is healthy to network on a personal level with men all across the country, up North to Canada South to Mexico, and as far East as South Africa. The pipe gives us an instant bond and much to share.

As someone for whom the pipe has become more important over the years, as I understand it more, and have really begun enjoying all the nuances of both the briar and the numerous blends of the leaf, this worries me. In recent weeks I've taken to bringing the briar to work so that I can have a relaxing few minutes of pure Zen during my busy and stressful days. I have even begun to smoke on my to work, which has been a nice way to start my day.

Of course there is a part of me that worries about the potentialities of enjoying tobacco, but being someone who has severe weight issues, I'm more concerned about having a heart attack before my next birthday, than the little bit of pipe I enjoy.

I don't understand how the people of this country, the land of the free, are so bent on legislating morality. I agree with the blog post, and most importantly with the CS. Lewis quote posted there. I fear that people who are thinking they are acting on behalf of the good of others, do more ill and evil that most people.

Allow me to chose my own vices, my own beliefs and my own way of living. As long as I'm not doing anyone around me any harm, who cares. This country was built on rugged individualism, but now it's run by those who would be moral legislatures.

Martin

MartinH":k29rpf5p said:
As someone for whom the pipe has become more important over the years, as I understand it more, and have really begun enjoying all the nuances of both the briar and the numerous blends of the leaf, this worries me. In recent weeks I've taken to bringing the briar to work so that I can have a relaxing few minutes of pure Zen during my busy and stressful days. I have even begun to smoke on my to work, which has been a nice way to start my day.

Of course there is a part of me that worries about the potentialities of enjoying tobacco, but being someone who has severe weight issues, I'm more concerned about having a heart attack before my next birthday, than the little bit of pipe I enjoy.

I don't understand how the people of this country, the land of the free, are so bent on legislating morality. I agree with the blog post, and most importantly with the CS. Lewis quote posted there. I fear that people who are thinking they are acting on behalf of the good of others, do more ill and evil that most people.

Allow me to chose my own vices, my own beliefs and my own way of living. As long as I'm not doing anyone around me any harm, who cares. This country was built on rugged individualism, but now it's run by those who would be moral legislatures.

Martin
Well said Martin!

Cheers,

RR

LIPIPE":p6n3jp16 said:
Yes it is. Two immediate thoughts relative to improvements in my life quality are slowing down, while I enjoy my smokes to listen to music, to enjoy nature, to read, and to just contemplate thoughts that flow through my head. Secondly are the new male contacts and friendships that I have been so very fortunate to make though pipe smoking internet communities. Guys are "pack animals" and it is healthy to network on a personal level with men all across the country, up North to Canada South to Mexico, and as far East as South Africa. The pipe gives us an instant bond and much to share.
Well said, Marty...well said. :cheers:

I second all this. Im not as good at words to express my self as others but I do like what Im hearing here. I can say this I smoked cigarettes for a long time, it was just a habit, no fun, kept me ill tempered. Since I picked up pipe smoking I can relax, think , enjoy, and might add not be board as I puff

Hey brothers! One thing I've done to make this a little more public is that I've started posting on the American Lung Association's Facebook Page.

I've fought with myself over whether to do this or not, because the organization stands for something so noble: health. However, they are the driving force behind most of the laws and misinformation that is out there about smoking. I would encourage all of you who use Facebook to post on their page to start making it clear that we are out here and treating us as second class citizens is NOT ok.

Here's my post(I placed it in their "recommendations"). This was in response to an internet add campaign that they have saying that Tobacco Laws are still too weak:

UberHuberMan":mrs5fhki said:
Tobacco laws too weak? Smoking indoors is illegal in most states and the taxes imposed upon all smokers, whether they smoke cigarettes, pipes, or cigars are at least double that of the actual cost of the product. We're being taxed without being represented, facts are being skewed, and our right to choose is not being taken into account. This is NOT the American way.