Is there a Dunhill Expert in the House?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarBeagle

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I recently acquired a pipe that I liked the look of.  Allegedly, it's stamped Dunhill Bruyere 722 on one side, and Made in England with a 4 (circled) on the other side of the shank.  My challenge is finding any information on this shape.  I thought that 722 was the shape code, but poking around on the internet I can't seem to find evidence that this shape exists.  Ive seen similar shapes in Charatan and GBD offerings, but have never seen a Dunhill quite like this.  Has anyone here seen a Dunhill like this before, or does anyone have any information that may help me solve this mystery? Could it be a forgery? I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks,

BB

Whether it's a Dunhill or not, it is one beautiful pipe you've got there. Congratulations :cheers:

I'm only guessing but I think the 4 refers to the size of the bowl?

Did you google "Dating a Dunhill" yet? The number 722 might pitch up there

Looks like the band is a repair job and might be covering up the date stamp. The date will be to the right of the D in ENGLAND. The date might help in figuring out the shape. I have a fairly unique Dunhill Billiard from the mid 70s that doesn't have its shape number listed on pipepedia either. I know with some Dunhills the last number can signify a variation to the actual shape. This one is pre-four digit coding, so who knows. Don't worry though, I doubt it's a forgery. Looks very Dunhill-y to me.

SpeedyPete":pq7xcvdv said:
Whether it's a Dunhill or not, it is one beautiful pipe you've got there.  Congratulations  :cheers:

I'm only guessing but I think the 4 refers to the size of the bowl?

Did you google "Dating a Dunhill" yet? The number 722 might pitch up there
Thanks, SP. I really like the look of it too, and I'm excited to have it.

I have tried searching "dunhill dating" and "Dunhill Stamping" online, but as of now, I was not able to come up with any difinitive answers. Oh well, the search continues...

I wonder If I contacted Dunhill if someone there might be able to help me with this? Any thoughts?

MisterE":0qlguv41 said:
Looks like the band is a repair job and might be covering up the date stamp. The date will be to the right of the D in ENGLAND. The date might help in figuring out the shape. I have a fairly unique Dunhill Billiard from the mid 70s that doesn't have its shape number listed on pipepedia either. I know with some Dunhills the last number can signify a variation to the actual shape. This one is pre-four digit coding, so who knows. Don't worry though, I doubt it's a forgery. Looks very Dunhill-y to me.
Thank you, MisterE. Yes, my thoughts are that the band is a repair band as well. There is no Dunhill hallmark on it, but rather just reads "sterling silver". Additionally, I have never seen any factory band applied that covered up any portion of the stamping. This one cuts off the last "L" in the name Dunhill. As you said, there may be more information available if I knew what was stamped underneath. In any case, it is comforting to hear you say that it looks "Dunhill-y". I'll update the thread if I find out anything new.

Best,

BB

Hmm...hard to see the nomenclature on that one, and it doesn't look like any Dunhill shape I've ever seen. Also, the button on the stem doesn't look very Dunhill-esque (at least, not from the side).

Then again, could be a one-off? I have a '67 Dunhill without one of the usual stamps, but, everything is else a Dunhill (or at least looks to be), as I was told by a Dunhill collector at a pipe show. Hard to say.

sorringowl":2lnkaq54 said:
Hmm...hard to see the nomenclature on that one, and it doesn't look like any Dunhill shape I've ever seen.  Also, the button on the stem doesn't look very Dunhill-esque (at least, not from the side).  

Then again, could be a one-off?  I have a '67 Dunhill without one of the usual stamps, but, everything is else a Dunhill (or at least looks to be), as I was told by a Dunhill collector at a pipe show.  Hard to say.
Thanks for the feedback sorringowl. More research is definitely gonna be needed.

BB

Well...I received some comforting news today regarding this pipe. The Dunhill rep for Cup O Joes confirmed that it is indeed an old Dunhill shape, which today would be considered a "quaint" pipe. Rep said it was old, and the dating stamp on the shank, along with the 3 digit shape code (722) seems to suggest that it was produced in 1962. At least I have some comfort knowing that it is not a forgery. It is definitely a unique shape for Dunhill, which makes it all that much more special for me. Now, let's hope she smokes as well as she looks.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this one. Some of these Dunhills can be quite mysterious as far as dating and authenticity go. It's been fun doing some research and learning a few new things along the way as I try to solve the puzzle.

BB