Island Rick checkin in from KC

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandRick

Reaction score
Hello!

Been lurking for a short time, thought I should introduce myself. My name is Rick, I live in Kansas City, Missouri with my lovely wife Rebecca, and my smoking companion and lovable mutt, Holly (a mixed Terrier). Having smoked cigars for a number of years, I picked up the pipe about 6 months ago. I have learned a lot already, with a lot more to learn. I figure I have the rest of my life to learn about this awesome hobby, so I'll just take it slow.

I've started with a handful of corncob pipes for my rotation, and have picked up a few briars along the way. One of which is a Savinelli that belong to my wife’s Grandfather, who passed away in 1982. It cleaned up nicely and is a good smoker. For the most part, I am usually smoking a cob with some burley in it. Carter Hall and Walnut being my main smokes. Looking forward to trying some more as time goes.

Thanks for a great forum and look forwarding to conversing with you all.

Rick Montgomery
aka IslandRick

Welcome Rick!

Very good choice of tobacco. You have started out well!

Welcome Rick! Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

IslandRick":879h8ex7 said:
...and Walnut being my main smokes
Oh no, not another one!! :affraid: :lol!:

Welcome! :D We'll do our best to de-Walnutize you and relieve you of that particular stigma, know 'round these parts as JP disorder ;)

Puff Daddy":q3un7vxq said:
IslandRick":q3un7vxq said:

Welcome! :D We'll do our best to de-Walnutize you and relieve you of that particular stigma, know 'round these parts as JP disorder ;)
Maybe there's a 12 step program! :D

Rick

Puff Daddy":fmo83dxd said:
IslandRick":fmo83dxd said:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Welcome Island Rick

Bd

Never Forget!

IslandRick":h2j9iha9 said:
Puff Daddy":h2j9iha9 said:
IslandRick":h2j9iha9 said:

Maybe there's a 12 step program! :D

Rick
Burley requires a minimum of 15 steps. :D

Good to see you here. :pipe:

puros_bran":2e3rtx87 said:
Welcome Home Rick.....

Where'd the 'Island' part come from?

Long story short, We have a friend that is a travel nurse and she takes assignments in Hawaii every chance she can. Since her agency provides housing, she stays in Hawaii until just before she has to establish residency (less than a year) and returns to the mainland for one 13 week stint and then back to the Islands she goes. So every year for vacation, if we want to go to Hawaii, we have a place to crash for free. I'm all about good, cheap vacations. In my previous job, whenever I got back from a trip to the islands, I was a lot more easy going (the islands will do that to you), hence the nickname "Island Rick" and it kinda stuck. Even though I'm not in that boiler room anymore, I still like the nickname even though it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the midwest. Thanks for asking!

Rick