It’s the New Year Nitro-Nastiness Mission!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fr_Tom":3mtektbx said:
Plane is loaded and waiting for the OK from the control tower to take off...   Have a good run folks.
Attention to Orders:  All pilots are now released from basic flight restrictions for this mission. It is recommended that the following criteria be used in setting your launch time...

A. How rural is your home field?  IOW: Does your flight have to go from small PO to larger distribution hub prior to being launched on its cross country journey?  What time of the day does your local facility send payloads off to the next connecting site?

B. What is the basic cross country flight distance to the target...how many transit days?

C. As in “A” - is the target rural...does delivery require going through a regional hub then local to achieve OFD status?

So A + B + C = Delivery Time.  DUH!  Generally this is about three days.  So for me, with the drop date being the 31st (a Thursday this month), my best guess is that I should be taking off on Tuesday morning.  For most other pilots the launch day will be either today or tomorrow (like me).  But if you’re really close it could be Wednesday I suppose.

And even though our goal is always to have all ordinance hit in the same delivery, our once strict regulations have softened over the years so that currently if bombs are a day on either side of the “hit date”...that’s OK.

All of the above is to say that using your best judgement...you now have a GO, GO, GO!!!

Blackhorse":5lm3l9kp said:
Fr_Tom":5lm3l9kp said:
Plane is loaded and waiting for the OK from the control tower to take off...   Have a good run folks.
Attention to Orders:  All pilots are now released from basic flight restrictions for this mission. It is recommended that the following criteria be used in setting your launch time...

A. How rural is your home field?  IOW: Does your flight have to go from small PO to larger distribution hub prior to being launched on its cross country journey?  What time of the day does your local facility send payloads off to the next connecting site?

B. What is the basic cross country flight distance to the target...how many transit days?

C. As in “A” - is the target rural...does delivery require going through a regional hub then local to achieve OFD status?

So A + B + C = Delivery Time.  
Aaaagh!  :scratch:  MATH! Word problems. ;)

If bomber #1 took off from Denver at 7:46 pm and is flying East at 427 mph with a headwind of 28 knots and a cargo load of 12,000 lbs...and bomber #2 took off from Rochester and is flying West on an intercept course at 327 mph with a tailwind of 18 knots and a cargo load of 4000 gallons of hydrogen gas...what is the likelihood that the whiskey in our target’s glass will be directly under the point at which the two planes crash mid-air?

AND (for extra credit) how many ice cubes will it take to keep a double shot in a 12 oz rocks glass at 38 F after the flaming wreckage from the crash explodes through the roof of the target’s man cave?

AND of all the bottles on display behind the bar what proof is needed for the contents to burst into flame during the ensuing conflagration?

I LOVE story problems.

Oo, ooh, ooh, I got the answer to the first part...

The plane from Denver had to land at Manhattan, KS airport because it had too much weight on board. The plane from Rochester, (assume it's NY), was grounded because of the weather. And, the glass of booze was drunk by me! :lol: :drunken:

Nice job Corny.  I’m not sure there’s really any definitive answers, so your being creative is the proper approach.

FYI:  My ship is in the air...currently going over Crater Lake I should think.  Nice clear day for flying.

Rural to rural. Maybe Wednesday, maybe Friday for me. Wicked ice and snow may or may not impede travel.

Fuel status full and high octane.

The arrow is loosed.

Blackhorse":575v9g3g said:
If bomber #1 took off from Denver at 7:46 pm and is flying East at 427 mph with a headwind of 28 knots and a cargo load of 12,000 lbs...and bomber #2 took off from Rochester and is flying West on an intercept course at 327 mph with a tailwind of 18 knots and a cargo load of 4000 gallons of hydrogen gas...what is the likelihood that the whiskey in our target’s glass will be directly under the point at which the two planes crash mid-air?

AND (for extra credit) how many ice cubes will it take to keep a double shot in a 12 oz rocks glass at 38 F after the flaming wreckage from the crash explodes through the roof of the target’s man cave?

AND of all the bottles on display behind the bar what proof is needed for the contents to burst into flame during the ensuing conflagration?

I LOVE story problems.

7?

Having been early on the drop for more than a few missions I will hold fire until I see the whites of their eyes!

51QubDJHecL.jpg

Cheers,

RR

Did a quick check on the cluster bombs to make sure they were seated properly. Sortie first thing in the morning!!! My god this is going to be a massacre . . .

Ozark Wizard":s4tezef9 said:
Rural to rural. Maybe Wednesday, maybe Friday for me. Wicked ice and snow may or may not impede travel.

Fuel status full and high octane.

The arrow is loosed.

My postmaster said the same thing! I'm glad I had to go to town today. I had to beat the frigid temps and high winds, and get some things done. Now my truck is in the garage, food is in the fridge,the woodburning stove is all stoked up, and my pipe is lit. Oh yeah, my package is sent!

Bird is loaded and on the runway awaiting clearence from control for takeoff. Will advise once in the air.

Cheers all

Tim

Fr_Tom":v70gk1nk said:
I hope everyone is packing electric flight suits for this mission. Locally the predicted high for tomorrow is -18 F I think.

Be careful out there.
Ahhh...the Pacific Northwest...today in Portland we’re looking forward to a sunny 50 F.  

Wow! It’s like a sliding scale right up the Pacific Coast.

Today’s temp, on or close to the coast - within a degree of the following:

70 F in Los Angeles, California...
65 F in Santa Barbara...
60 F in San Francisco...
60 F in Medford, Oregon...
55 F in Brookings...
55 F. in Roseburg...
50 F in Portland...
50 F in Seattle...
45 F in Vancouver, BC...
45 F in Prince Rupert...
40 F in Ketchikan, Alaska...
40 F in Juneau.

North of there, who cares?  Fatman is gone, bless his soul.