It Ain't "Impossible" No More

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I try very hard to be careful what I eat. My father died in his 50s in 1964 of heart disease, largely attributable to his diet. Most of his life he insisted on eating meat three times a day. His arteries were clogged and he was overweight. My older brother (80) isn't particularly careful, but he's been on countless cholesterol and blood pressure medications since his early 50s.
I take virtually no medications, unless I'm sick. I think it's a combination of diet, exercise, and good luck...but primarily diet. I can go weeks without eating red meat and eat other meats and poultry quite sparingly. My BP is normally 128/68. My HDL is excellent, but my LDL is normal high.
Since the products Impossible Burger and Beyond Burger have been available locally, I haven't purchased ground beef. It's about three years. Both are also gluten free. Beyond Burger is also soy free.

Impossible Burger at Trader Joe's is $6.99 for a 12 oz. package. This week at Target, it was on sale for $4.99. Yesterday, I drove to a suburban Target, near my daughter's house to pick up a couple of packages. I thought as long as I was there and the price per package was $2.00 off, I'd buy 10-12 packages for the freezer. At the cooler, where it was located, there were only two packages, which I grabbed. I rang for assistance, hoping I could get a few more packages. A guy came out of the stocking area and I asked if he could bring out some more Impossible Burger. He kind of shook his head and said he'd look.
"Here's the last couple of packages that I have until tomorrow's delivery. We've been refilling the cooler all day. I can't believe there's that many vegetarians in Burnsville."
I said that I think people may just want to cut back on their animal protein intake and still have a burger.

I've been very impressed by the Impossible Burger. Frankly I can't tell it apart from ground beef after I get my condiments on it. I buy it semi-regularly. I also buy the Impossible breakfast sausage which is impossible (pardon the pun) to tell from a pork sausage.

I've been following a vegetarian diet since I was age 30. All the men on my Dad's side of my family had heart issues, no doubt due to their diet. My Pap had 2 separate bypasses, as apparently he didn't learn after the first one.

That said, people will eat what they like and I've never been one to preach about it. Still don't.

Cheers,

RR