Italian metal

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I failed to mention earlier that all of the wooden pipe bowls I've shown on the metal pipes I've been keeping smokey are not all briar, one was Walnut, another was Mahogany, two I had no idea but since they didn't impart any unusual flavor my best guess was they were some type of fruit wood. This next pipe should come with a warning as the bowl is Rosewood and I know of folks that have allergic reactions to handling Rosewood or inhaling dust from cutting it so I can only imagine ingesting vapors of it could cause a serious reaction.

Luckily for me I don't suffer any reaction from Rosewood, however, l found breaking it in to be quite harsh and not pleasant tasting, now that a cake has formed I do smoke it on occasion.

Brebbia is the maker and no stranger to metal pipes as I found they made several variations over the years but none as strange as this one which looks like a lightbulb with a shank running through it. Still keeping it smokey with some Chenet's Cake.
banjo

35635657115_471d617b01_z_d.jpg

Funny you'd mention Rosewood. I made a small bowl out of some I was gifted and it was pleasant enough to work on, the smell being a nice musty rose scent, but smoking it was terrible. I had higher hopes for it, but I just could not abide the flavours it imparted. I should have known by the way it gummed up the sandpapers, it was very dense and oily. The materials went to accents and other uses that remained. Perhaps with a clay or Meerschaum liner?

Interesting choice of material for a bowl, although that does look quite nice with the finish and stain. But ya, it does look rather like a lightbulb!

Brazilian Rosewood is used frequently on guitars, primarily the fingerboard. But also on backs and sides of acoustic instruments. And now it's listed as an endangered species and highly regulated.

As a result, anyone using Brazilian Rosewood has to jump through many hoops/paperwork/time/expense to prove it comes from a legal/renewable/approved source. The reason I know this is that I just went through an extensive wait for a new instrument that required a Rosewood fingerboard. So I got an education!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude,
Been at least a decade, if not more, since Brazilian Rosewood has been regulated, I think it's easier to import Elephant Tusk than Brazilian Rosewood. I personally have no problem with regulating things that could realistically disappear from the earth but they need to educate those folks for new jobs to be able to provide for their families as well or they will poach these trees.
banjo

fishnbanjo":2hce2x55 said:
Brewdude,
     Been at least a decade, if not more, since Brazilian Rosewood has been regulated, I think it's easier to import Elephant Tusk than Brazilian Rosewood. I personally have no problem with regulating things that could realistically disappear from the earth but they need to educate those folks for new jobs to be able to provide for their families as well or they will poach these trees.
banjo
Right on there Mr. Banjo.

Cheers,

RR