I'ts All Vitos Fault

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thomas james":j7imddmp said:
The emoticons have died!
Oh no, you don't...you're not pinnin' that on me. This is clearly a TeeJayocentric global warming phenomenon. I'll bet it's that carbon Bigfootprint you leave with all that Erinmore you've been smoking on the sly.

I'm gonna go hang out with my kids. At least when they accuse me of mischief, it's usually true.

Vito :joker:

Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they're dead!

I can't activate any of em'

It just (?) coincides with Vito's recent postings.

tj

thomas james":1j33hrzk said:
Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they're dead! I can't activate any of em'...

It just (?) coincides with Vito's recent postings.
Well...they're working for me, and also for PB, Puffs, and P-Diddy. I'd check others but there's no need; all it would take is one exception to bust the hypothesis that emoticons are dead for everyone, or that I had anything to do with it, and I've just found four exceptions.

See? Correlation is not causation! :cheers:

Now, the real question is, "Why are emoticons broken for TeeJay?", which I don't doubt for a moment if you say so.

I dunno the answer for certain, but I wouldn't hang too much on that correlation thang in this case. Unless I had found a way to hack the website (I haven't...nor would I try), or hack your computer (that's also a big fat "NO"), the prollem is on your end.

...or it was on your end. By the time you read this, it might already have fixed itself if you've quit and relaunched your browser in the interim, or shut down and rebooted your computer.

See, emoticon insertion is a Javascript call. Java is an application that runs inside another application—in this case your browser is the other application. When you click on a Smiley, it tells Java to run the Javascript, "insert the code for this here Smiley into the text box". If something temporarily boned Java's ability to run on your machine, you wouldn't be able to insert the little buggers. (...a memory leak, maybe? Ironically, Java used to cause memory leaks...but I don't know whether that's still true. Jason probably knows.) In that case, you can click on those little Smilies until Ukrainians learn to appreciate "subtle" weedage, and it won't do you any good. If Java won't run, you can't run Javascript calls.

You can still insert the emoticons by typing in the code for them yourself, you know. For example, the code for :joker: is...
Code:
":joker:" (no quotation marks)
Of course, I don't know for certain what caused the problem. The explanation above fits the condition you've described as a possible reason why emoticon insertion has died on your machine, but there are probably many other possibilities. In any case, emoticon insertion clearly has not died on the BoB web site.
Tom Waits":1j33hrzk said:
"I dunno buddy, it could by yer points, it could be yer coil, it could be yer distributor...it could be any one of a number of things. Sounds like U-joint trouble to me. Better come back in the morning and talk to Lou. Ol' Lou can look up a bull's ass an' tell ya the price of butter..."
As a general rule, when weird stuff happens in a web browser, here's the standard operating procedure I follow, in order of execution:

• Clear your browser cache. If that fixes it, you're done.
  • If not, quit and relaunch your browser. If that fixes it, you're done.
  • If not, shut down and reboot your computer. If that fixes it, you're done.
  • If not...
...ah, that's where life gets real interesting... :bom:

Brother Vito's suggestions will probably fix the problem TJ. I sent a PM just to make sure his smilies haven't become disabled for some reason. I think you can only do that on a post by post basis though (one of the options under Preview/Send).

Point of clarification on the Java/Javascript thing... not that it matters to this discussion. :lol: Java and Javascript actually don't have anything in common but the letters. Java, developed by Sun Microsystems, is a compiled language that runs on a Java Virtual Machine, making it independent and cross platform. Older versions did have some memory problems but it's pretty mature now. Javascript, developed by Netscape, is just a scripting language (not compiled) and processed solely by your browser (which can cause problems because of browser differences). Not sure that anyone cared about that but what the heck. :geek:

thomas james":m8tm9am8 said:
The emoticons have died!
T - Click on "Profile", then select "Preferences," and scroll down to near the bottom for the option for "Always enable Smilies" and make sure "YES" is clicked. Then, click "Save" and you should be back in the smiley saddle.

As to the cause? Cosmic rays. Must be cosmic rays. And, therefore, Vito is at least partly a cause. ;)

jhuggett":8alw85oe said:
...Point of clarification on the Java/Javascript thing...
Jason:

Thanks for that clarification. I knew that Sun developed Java, but I didn't know the stuff about Javascript and Netscape.

I guess we owe a lot to Netscape. I certainly do. Netscape Communicator was my first real window to the Internet. (I'm excluding a brief dalliance with AOL, which lasted about a month before I got fed up with their attitude toward their users, which is the moral equivalent of "Keep 'em barefoot and pregnant." Grrrrr...) Netscape Communicator completely hooked me on the concept of an integrated suite of Internet apps—a full-featured browser, a secure, HTML-capable e-mail client with a decent GUI editor, a separate editor/composer app that works directly with the browser, an address book, and IRC chat...all integrated into one neat package.

I stayed with System 9 longer than I otherwise would have because there was no equivalent to Communicator v4.7.9 in OS X in the early going. That includes Netscape 6, an atrocity whose existence was mercifully short-lived. It was an aberration—a band-aid while MoFo was pulling the Mozilla/5.0 code base together for Netscape 7, which was a breath of fresh air when it finally arrived. The Mozilla Suite was even better (it had none of the Netscape suite's ever-increasing tendency to become bloatware), and now there's SeaMonkey—still the best overall web apps solution for my purposes.

These daze, I occasionally use Safari, Firefox, Camino, Shiira, or any number of other browsers just out of curiosity, and for the fun of it. Sometimes I use OS X Mail or Thunderbird for specific purposes, but mostly for the same reasons—curiosity and fun. I've even used Nvu for composing some web pages here and there. But those are flirtations; for me, no group of standalone apps is as useful as SeaMonkey. I'm hooked for life.

Thanks too for chiming in on the memory issues regarding Java. I haven't heard about or experienced any memory problems with Java in for some years now, and I sort of suspected that the memory leak thang had been cleared up by now.

Vito

That's funny Vito.. that's pretty much the same path I went. AOL-Netscape-etc. Although I think after Netscape 6 I never paid much attention to it. :D

glpease":nvzhn9mi said:
thomas james":nvzhn9mi said:
The emoticons have died!
...As to the cause? Cosmic rays. Must be cosmic rays. And, therefore, Vito is at least partly a cause. ;)
Must be my avatar...an actual photograph of a dramatization of a black hole. Prolly a bit too much gamma radiation for the board. I'd better change it.

Incidentally, you're all sterile now. :affraid: :twisted:

:poncho: :pipe: :ewe: :gatewheel: :flower: :afro: :lol!: :elephant: :study: :scratch: :geek: :queen: :albino: :cherry: :santa: :rendeer: :farao: :sunny: :sleep: :drunken: :bom: :cheers: :bball: :cat: :monkey: :pig: :rabbit: :bounce: :confused: :affraid: :alien: :pale: :silent: :tongue: :pirat: :clown: :cyclops: :mad:: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :face: :star: :suspect: :heart: :no: :!: ;) :roll: :twisted: :evil: :cry: :oops: :p :D :) :( :eek: :shock: 8) :lol: :x

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!!!!

Someone's f'n with tj.

They were working again a few minutes ago, but are in rigor again!

I don't need no stinking emotiguys.

tj

thomas james":oezm8p06 said:
Someone's f'n with tj.
Who would do such a thing?

Oh, wait...what browser are you using...? Something from Redmond, as I recall.

Well, this is just a hunch, but I have an idea who's jerkin' you around...
  • ballmer170.jpg
:p :lol: :p :lol: :p

Sorry, Teej, but the setup was too perfect and I couldn't resist.

Emotoivirus?

Emotocide?

Someones f'n with the king and it ain't Clapton.

tj

Emots are still kapoot!

thomas james":2wzi054w said:
...Emots are still kapoot!
TJ:

Let's take this one step at a time. Do the emoticons show up in the frame to the left of the message body (under the words "Message body") when you open a "Post a reply" window"

Vito":mlmaifaw said:
thomas james":mlmaifaw said:
...Emots are still kapoot!
TJ:

Let's take this one step at a time. Do the emoticons show up in the frame to the left of the message body (under the words "Message body") when you open a "Post a reply" window"

:darklord:

Okay. I don't know who is responsible for this, but I've got my very OWN emoticon, now! Thanks!

Damn. It's good to be famous!

Now, TJ, if you're using it, you need to jettison Exploder, and download yourself a copy of Firefox, or SeaMonkey. Exploder is WAY behind the times with W3C compliance. MicroFlaccid always thinks THEY know the better way to do it, and screw the committee... (* I can not TELL you how much cursing I went through developing the CSS for a certain web site recently, all because of things that broke in Exploder, and NO WHERE ELSE! *)

You can get Firefox here

-Zero :darklord:

The combination of everyones suggestions and a system restore fixed it.

Emotogoombas are back!

:king: tj

Where the mf is MF!