It's cherry season!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The cherries are now out in the roadside stands - big beautiful dark red/black sweet/tart Bings and yellow/red sweet Rainiers. They grow them in the Yakima, WA area just over the Cascades from me and they're finally in season!

I await this all year and the picking season is usually about 30 days give or take, so one has to take advantage when it's upon us.

The roadside stands have the freshest and best deals too. They're picked and sold within 24 hrs so they're fresh as anything. And the merchants always make sure you get a bakers dozen on anything you buy, especially in larger quantities.

Just got 2 quarts of Rainiers for $7, and the guy threw in several handfulls more. So, about 2#. And they're beautiful big ripe cherries too! Buy these in the local grocery store and they're way more than that. I like supporting the farmers.

Bings are a bit less at $5 for 2 quarts. I bounce back and forth between them and Rainiers, but Rainiers are my favorite

Cherry pr0n-

cherries-bowl2-500.jpg

Cheers,

RR

Looks good, lots of watermelons on the stands around here now. :cheers:

Fresh fruit and vegetables always evoke an inner crispness and savoriness that bbq pork ribs cannot. But then again bbq pork ribs have their own evocation. But a concentration on what a more pure diet can give you, the energy and vivacity that perhaps pertain more to the spiritual than the physical, brings, I think, its own rewards--call them what you may; here I would simply call them "positive."

Sorry about the CBC pic, BrewDude. I couldn't help myself, it was too good to pass up.

On a serious note - yes the Cherries and other usual produce being sold here locally has been looking very good lately. My fear is that the semi-local drought is going to hurt the overall harvest this year - driving up the prices of produce.

My family and I just killed a Seedless Watermelon last week that was very good - sweet and well ripened. While I don't think the seedless varieties are as good as the regularss, they are getting better...

Cherry season is just about over here in the central valley of California. Stone fruits have been out for a couple of weeks (seems awfully early) and the first of the sweet corn is making appearances. Everything comes a little early here, especially with a mild late winer.

Wherever I go I like to visit the Farmer's Markets. For the same reasons; it supports the local farmers and the quality and frshness can not be beat. It is nice to plan dinners around what is fresh that week.

I envy you with the cherries. They're my favorite fruit and I look forward to them being in the grocery stores this time of year. We get all the fresh vegetables we want from April until October since the growing season here is a good 8 months. What I miss about Georgia is the boiled peanut stands in the summer. Just a guy by the side of the road with a gas pot of boiled peanuts. Nothin like 'em.

Burned myself out on the Rainiers. Now got the Jones for the Bings.

Got me a big o'l bag of them yesterday and I'm here to tell ya that they're some of the biggest and sweetest I've ever had.

I'll finish them off later today and go back for more tomorrow!

lickout.gif

Cheers,

RR

I've been working on a bag of Bings for the past few days. Just finished them off a few moments ago.

Aside from tasting good, they offer another great benefit which will usually make itself known several hours after consumption. Not in an alarming way...

Rob_In_MO":vfpbohj1 said:
Sorry about the CBC pic, BrewDude. I couldn't help myself, it was too good to pass up.

On a serious note - yes the Cherries and other usual produce being sold here locally has been looking very good lately. My fear is that the semi-local drought is going to hurt the overall harvest this year - driving up the prices of produce.

My family and I just killed a Seedless Watermelon last week that was very good - sweet and well ripened. While I don't think the seedless varieties are as good as the regularss, they are getting better...
Watermelon 'aint watermelon without seeds :p Whatcha gonna spit at the person across the way with ifin ya 'taint got seeds ? :?:

TheSmokeamater":2bezr7jd said:
I've been working on a bag of Bings for the past few days. Just finished them off a few moments ago.

Aside from tasting good, they offer another great benefit which will usually make itself known several hours after consumption. Not in an alarming way...
I don't get any laxative effects if that's what you're referring to. Never got the skitters from eating cherries. But there again I don't over do it.

:|

Cheers,

RR

Very jealous! The only time I visited Seattle, I lucked out and it was the peak of cherry season. Glutted myself on just the samples from the dozens of stands in and around Pike St. Market.

My mom lives in central Oregon and is going this weekend to pick cherries in the Ochocos. She goes every year with my aunts. When they get home they can tons of homemade cherry pie filling to send everyone stuck in the great state of Missouri... Nothing better than my mom's cherry pie filling.

Ever ate a whole pomegranate? Never pee'd soooooo much in my life. Felt like my body was trying to get rid of every last drop of liquid in me. :evil: