Jack Knife Plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
Got a tin of JKP a while back and opened it recently with much anticipation - and was pretty disappointed. No matter how I packed it, shredded it, balled it up, whatever I just haven't been able toget much taste or keep it lit. After reading great reviews of this smoke I wonder if I am doing something wrong. I generally like a stronger smoke - have been smoking quite a bit of IRC flakes and slices lately. I don't have much experience with tobacco that comes in a titghtly backed piece like this JKP. Does it need more drying before smoking? Any tricks to packing it? Would really like to enjoy it but it is now in danger of becoming one of those opened but neglected tins. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I generally cut extremely thin slices off and rub them out, at that point I will leave them out for about 45 minutes or so while I go grab chow. After that they make for a great smoke brother. Sorry to hear your experience has bee lackluster. Pease's Triple Play is also darn good.

If it's too dry, moisten it. If it's too moist, dry it.
It's like the flakes and slices that you've been smoking.

Pressed tobacco whether flake or plug is fascinating to me. If I can get a tobacco in pressed form, I do.

The bigger the chunk of tobacco in the bowl, the longer it burns but the harder it is to light. The trick is to find a happy medium between burn and ignition. Experiment with decreasing sizes of the cut plug. They say that the slower the burn the tastier the tobacco. All I know is that puffing too fast makes my mouth/tongue hurt and decreases taste.

Don't worry, tastes differ. JKP is not for me, either, but Triple Play is pure heaven.

Both JKP and Triple Play are both regulars for me. Here is how I prepare them.

Slice off a flake ( I have found that a 10$ Rapala Filet Knife does this job absolutely the best )

Cut it across the grain the length of the flake and then cut it with the grain across the flake creating cubes.

Let them sit out a bit ... 20 min? ... Time will vary by climate.

Just sprinkle them in the bowl without packing much. THe tobacco will expand and fill the holes in the bowl no worries.

Take whatever little crumbs are left over and sprinkle them on top.

Should take a light fairly well now and if you dried it right stay lit no problems offering tons of flavor and richness.

So basically I prepare the cake into a flake and cube cut it .....

If this becomes too annoying / does not work for you I would then suggest giving JKP Ready Rubbed a shot.

Same blend but it has been pre cut and tumbled into ribbons. This will load easier for you. Having smoked both I can say that I prefer the plug form. The taste is a bit deeper and richer for me. Plus the cake I believe will age nicer than the ribbon.

I don't know if this helps any but I sure hope it does. It's a great blend, if it suits your flavor profile. Don't give up on it !

JKP was my first "strong tobacco," both in flavor, preparation, cut and nicotine strength. To date, it's the only stuff that gave me a "nicotine hangover" (which is dreadful, by the way).

Still, I love the stuff. I cut off slices with a big kitchen knife into a flake form, and either rub them out or cube them. Cubing makes consistency, rubbed-out gives more dynamics during the smoke. Smaller tobacco chambered pipes work wonders. Packing is almost nonexistent, as I gravity-feed the contents (however they are cut) into the pipe and barely tamp during smoking JKP.

GLP stuff is usually in the ballpark for proper moisture content, though I also dry out the JKP a little more. It's dense, and takes a while. A space heater positioned safely can help.

It's just practice, don't give up on it. There's plenty of options, as the Brothers have mentioned above.

Maybe you'll like it in the end...maybe not. So, to you, happy smoking and adventure in the mean time.

8)

Frankly I don't find JKP very strong at all. Med bodied and no nic hit at all. But that's just my body chemistry.

Like others have said I cut it against the grain and rub it out. The tin I have is ideal moisture content and doesn't require further drying.

I have learned to pack this loose, as it doesn't seem to rub out like flakes. More like chunks. Might have to try the cubed method next.

Still, this seems to be a rather mild mannered blend flavor-wise. NTTAWWT.

;)

Cheers,

RR

Oh man, I love this stuff and the ready-rub version. I think I'll go crack a tin now............

I had the same problem so I cut it up put it in a jar hope to tackle it in a few years

Jack Knife and Triple Play are both great blends.
I prefer Jack Knife, though.
I cut off slices with a scissors and rub it out or cube cut it.

JKP was my favorite over the summer (I'm currently messing around with Lat blends.) I found the most success shaving of slices as thin as I could get them, rubbing them out, and then letting them dry. My goal was a fine shag - along the lines of Drum cigarette tobacco if you've ever seen that. Then I pack on the loose side, and tamp as needed. Burns all the way down without a relight for me.

Brewdude":e322yvam said:
Frankly I don't find JKP very strong at all. Med bodied and no nic hit at all. But that's just my body chemistry.
:shock: Impressive! :shock:

8)

I tried to slice it into flakes...and when that didn't work... I tried to rub out the flacks...and when that didn't work...I ended up attacking the slices with scissors until I had a manageable ribbon cut thing going on.

Dave_In_Philly":8il2jm23 said:
I tried to slice it into flakes...and when that didn't work... I tried to rub out the flacks...and when that didn't work...I ended up attacking the slices with scissors until I had a manageable ribbon cut thing going on.
...so...cutting with the "grain," then?

Kyle Weiss":bnaw8inp said:
Brewdude":bnaw8inp said:
:shock: Impressive! :shock:

8)

I had this as the first bowl of the day this weekend after a light b'fast. Didn't find it was overly strong in flavor or strength. Kind of mellow actually. And I'm on my second tin of this.

Don't claim to have a high nic tolerance. Just the way it works for me....

<shrug>

Cheers,

RR

When I first tried JKP I prepared it in just about every way possible. What I ended up liking the most was a very fine shag cut. I cut off paper thin flakes and rubbed those out to the same consistency as RYO tobaccos. Perfect burn and very tasty.

If you like the JKP, you might also try the GLP Triple Play. It's basically JKP with some Perique pressed in. I like it more personally.

MisterE":jjax0qd2 said:
When I first tried JKP I prepared it in just about every way possible. What I ended up liking the most was a very fine shag cut. I cut off paper thin flakes and rubbed those out to the same consistency as RYO tobaccos. Perfect burn and very tasty.
I second this approach!

MisterE":clr1xbgd said:

If you like the JKP, you might also try the GLP Triple Play. It's basically JKP with some Perique pressed in. I like it more personally.
Like JKP just fine, but TP gets the nod if I had to choose between them.

Cheers,

RR