James J. Fox - Hibernia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
I purchased a single tin of this a few months ago solely based on the description given at smokingpipes.com.
This carefully blended tobacco is made from the finest Virginia, rich Kentucky Burley and a touch of Perique from St. James Parish, Louisiana. A cool and slow burning blend that is as smooth as silk. Great taste with a wonderful room aroma.
I'm a huge fan of these components in blends like Long Golden Flake or Old Joe Krantz and I was expecting a similar experience from this tobacco. It is absolutely nothing like either of those blends...

When I opened the tin I was greeted with a strong aroma of chocolate, very similar to Edgeworth Ready Rubbed or Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake but stronger. I checked to make sure I opened the right tin and then began to inspect the contents. I started to get a bit frustrated because it became very obvious this was an aromatic blend but being I opened it I loaded up a pipe.

Upon first light I was quite surprised at how smooth the tobacco seemed, not a bit of bite on the charring light. A tamp and a relight and it started off. There was no doubt now that this is a cased tobacco but I found the flavor very enjoyable. The Burley seems to be the strongest component but the Virginia adds a slight natural sweetness. I could not detect the Perique at all.

As I got further along I was completely surprised at how much I was enjoying this blend. It is what I've always wished aromatic blends were. Rich and satisfying, extremely smooth but still supplying that sweet flavor without becoming gross. I couldn't make it bite if I tried and it burned very dry.

The casing stayed pretty constant through out the bowl. At one point toward the end I detected it may start going sour but I slowed up my rate and it mellowed right out again. I do believe the Perique started to show itself at the end but still very slightly.

The bottom line is I was disappointed to find out this wasn't what I thought it was but it may have been one of the best surprises in my recent pipe smoking adventures. I have a feeling I'm going to burn through this tin quite quick.

I'll post more when I get better acquainted with this Hybernia.

How was the strength? I get frustrated with overly mild blends. I end up smoking them in the largest bowl I have, and have to work to keep from puffing them up.

Nicotine is something I'm not very good at judging, I'd say mild. Strength of flavor was surprising for an aromatic but still not what I would call strong. I wanted another bowl right after I was finished if that's any indicator. :lol: