Jarring

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow pipesters. Ok, I know this has probably been addressed ad nauseum, but I did a quick check and did not find what I was looking for. So...

I know there are a myriad of ways to store tobaccos. I generally do not jar my tobaccos for serious long term storage; I just keep it in sealed tins for that. However, I do jar the contents of newly opened tins. Sometimes these jars can sit around for up to a year before I get back to them, especially if it is a blend that needs jar time or just didn't hit me right after the first few bowls. I do not seal them in any way, I just make sure the lid is clean of debris and screw it down tight.

The other day I pulled out an old jar of Balkan Sasieni that has been sitting around for some time. Once in a while, I like to dip into it just to see if I like latakias yet. Basically, I am virginia/vaper guy, but every now and then I enjoy trying a balkan or an English just to see if my tastes have changed. Once in a while I even enjoy them! (I am now starting to focus on making myself smoke more of them in order to warm up to them a little more. Once in a while, a latakia blend can really hit the spot, but typically I am left wanting more. They all kind of taste the same to me, at this stage...)

So, I popped open this jar of Balkan Sasieni, and the tobacco was bone dry! Wow, I was surprised. I suspect the contents were around a year and half to two years old. The lid appeared clean and to seal tight. So, I was pretty surprised.

This raises a question:

Do you guys seal the jars (via heat, wax, or other method) for long term storage, or just tighten 'em down and roll with it?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

TB Over and Out

For long term storage I use Paraffin wax.

For shorter term storage, I seal my jars with a product call "Parafilm" (you can buy it on amazon). I use the stuff in chemistry to create a paraffin wax-like seal which is air tight and waterproof. It looks like a roll of tape. You cut a strip and stretch it as you apply it around the lid. I am a light smoker so it sometimes takes me a few months to go through a particular tin or jar. So I always reseal the container with Parafilm. So far I haven't had any problem with tobacco drying out.

I haven't noticed any problem with just screwing them down tight. But I mean really tight. I usually have to pry off the lids.

Carlos":7x88bz59 said:
I haven't noticed any problem with just screwing them down tight. But I mean really tight. I usually have to pry off the lids.
I do the same. Had to pop one with a can opener yesterday!

Nitschke066":rggnurtz said:
Whoah! I need to start capping these jars tighter... maybe hit the gym and *then* cap my jars.

In the last couple of years I've bought a lot of bulk tobacco. I think it might be overkill, but I use paraffin to seal the jars; I'd rather be safe than sorry. Screwing the jars down for a year or so probably works fine; but who wants to wake up in five years and find they've invested in sawdust?

Doc Manhattan":g9o44r4e said:
Nitschke066":g9o44r4e said:
Whoah! I need to start capping these jars tighter... maybe hit the gym and *then* cap my jars.
Haha, I wish I could take credit for it Doc! I'm pretty sure Mother Nature did most of the heavy lifting though. :lol:

All I have ever done is screw the lid on tight and have jars that are 15yrs old and there in great shape when they have been opened. Could be the little rubber seal was worn or pressed flat from opening them to many times. Just buy new insides for the lid there cheap about $1.50 for 12.

If it's a tin I opened and am currently working on I just put it in a jar, but if I may be a bit and doesn't need to be all that long, I will vacuum it shut and you don't need to even have new lids. I use a Seal-A-Meal with the jar attachment and vacuum it tight. Easy enough to do so if I get back in to it and want it shut again just vacuum it again.

Skip

Has anyone tried the off brand regular mouth rings/lids at Walmart? Box of a dozen for $2.32. Everyone has the lids, but nobody around here has the rings.

Trout Bum":ddq215pl said:
Greetings, fellow pipesters. Ok, I know this has probably been addressed ad nauseum, but I did a quick check and did not find what I was looking for. So...
I know there are a myriad of ways to store tobaccos. I generally do not jar my tobaccos for serious long term storage; I just keep it in sealed tins for that.
So, I popped open this jar of Balkan Sasieni, and the tobacco was bone dry! Wow, I was surprised. I suspect the contents were around a year and half to two years old. The lid appeared clean and to seal tight. So, I was pretty surprised.

This raises a question:

Do you guys seal the jars (via heat, wax, or other method) for long term storage, or just tighten 'em down and roll with it?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

TB Over and Out

I had the same thing happen to my Balkan Sasieni. Although my jar is only from January 2017, I don't smoke it very often. I opened it up the other day and noticed that the tobacco was very dry. So, I filled a bowl up and smoked it. It smoked fine! I keep my tobaccos in canning jars and don't worry about anything else. I do have several tins that I have not opened yet and I just leave them alone. I think sealing the tins with paraffin tape would be a good precaution. I might have to try that.

Brewdude":miot8b0l said:
Blackhorse":miot8b0l said:
Old jars and rings...new lids. That’s the mantra.
This. Unless the rings are corroded. Then I no longer trust them. Always new rings.

Cheers,

RR
I've had many rings strip over the years. I need both rings and lids. $2.32 is a lot cheaper than the $5+ for both separately, if I could find the rings in the first place. That is, if this off brand isn't crap.

I’ve filled mason jars, screwed the lid down and let it be for 15 years. Worked fine. My storage corner is cool, dark and stable — high 60’s to low 70’s. Plus the Jars are kept in the original, partitioned boxes. As long as it smoked well, I’d opine you’re okay. I’m of the camp that believes you can rehydrate dry tobacco. There are threads on the topic.