JEANTET isn't heard of much

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
I was just wondering why the French made Jeantet pipes aren't heard of much. I realize there no longer made and they were primarily inexpensive but, from my research they were in business a very long time and made some nice pipes. I acquired a Jeantet "Exclusive" fancy bent Rhodesian with a hand cut stem awhile back ago and just recently decided to smoke it. It's very light for it's size, roughly 6" x 2" and smoked very cool. In fact it was one of the best smokes I've had all week. Sorry, haven't any photos of it right now but, what are your thoughts?

I know zip about Jeantet, but I have had great smokes from French pipes, if that's what Jeantet is. I have four or five Jean Lacroixs, and they smoke as well as any of my Dunhills. You seldom hear of these, either. They are pretty pipes, often with a lot of straight grain, but they do have an occasional fill. Mine are pretty decent, and one of the few pipes I would not give up. I assume Jeantet is similar, but that's just a guess. (You may file this under your thanks for nothing category.)

I had no idea that Jeantet was out of business. Some websites I've visited still have new Jeantet pipes for sale. Al Pascia

My own experience with French pipes has been mixed. France has produced some very attractive pipes (French made Wessex comes to mind), but I've sold almost every French pipe I've owned because they smoked poorly. My own observations seemed to confirm that the majority of French pipes have smaller draft holes and therefore poorer smoking properties than many of the other brands.

I still own two French pipes that are an exception to that rule, an old Chacom Royal with a horn stem and a Sebastian Beo which is an absolutely amazing pipe.

Ocelot55":tro1yakd said:
I had no idea that Jeantet was out of business. Some websites I've visited still have new Jeantet pipes for sale. Al Pascia

My own experience with French pipes has been mixed. France has produced some very attractive pipes (French made Wessex comes to mind), but I've sold almost every French pipe I've owned because they smoked poorly. My own observations seemed to confirm that the majority of French pipes have smaller draft holes and therefore poorer smoking properties than many of the other brands.

I still own two French pipes that are an exception to that rule, an old Chacom Royal with a horn stem and a Sebastian Beo which is an absolutely amazing pipe.
Jesse, They may be sold through Chacom nowadays but, there factory was torn down in the early 90's and ownership changed. In my research there was some conflict as to if they were still produced or not. Mine is a earlier one from around the 70's or 80's and it seemed to have a good open draw, not so much as an Italian pipe but, I found it not restrictive as I have other pipes I've smoked. With your abilities as a pipe carver why didn't you just open the draw a little? I have done this in the past myself with good results.

Richard Burley":u4c9mfc9 said:
I know zip about Jeantet, but I have had great smokes from French pipes, if that's what Jeantet is. I have four or five Jean Lacroixs, and they smoke as well as any of my Dunhills. You seldom hear of these, either. They are pretty pipes, often with a lot of straight grain, but they do have an occasional fill. Mine are pretty decent, and one of the few pipes I would not give up. I assume Jeantet is similar, but that's just a guess. (You may file this under your thanks for nothing category.)
Lacroixs are manufactured by Chacom nowadays like Jeantet may very well be. Like I said earlier there's a conflict between websites if there still being made. But, they aren't being made by the original Jeantet anymore.
I reckon it's like any pipe, some like certain brands and some don't. I for one can't stand Savinelli's. I've owned about 4 of them and not one smoked worth a damn, all had way to open draws for me. So, there ya go.

Cartaphilus":kvvnwk3g said:
With your abilities as a pipe carver why didn't you just open the draw a little? I have done this in the past myself with good results.
Unlike a lot of folks, I don't like to mess with the original mechanics of the pipe. It's almost an insult to the factory or carver that made it. "This wasn't good enough so I'm going to make it better." I'd rather just sell or give the pipe to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. Besides I've got plenty of pipes to smoke. I guess it's just a different mindset for a different time.

These days the French Market seems dominated by Chacom. They produce many of the sub-label brands. I forget if they own Butz-Choquin or not.

Ocelot55":x7116lnn said:
Cartaphilus":x7116lnn said:
With your abilities as a pipe carver why didn't you just open the draw a little? I have done this in the past myself with good results.
Unlike a lot of folks, I don't like to mess with the original mechanics of the pipe. It's almost an insult to the factory or carver that made it. "This wasn't good enough so I'm going to make it better." I'd rather just sell or give the pipe to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. Besides I've got plenty of pipes to smoke. I guess it's just a different mindset for a different time.

These days the French Market seems dominated by Chacom. They produce many of the sub-label brands. I forget if they own Butz-Choquin or not.
Yeah, You wealthy pipe carvers can afford that, us poor cheap bastards have to fix'em and smoke'em LOL!

From what I know Butz is still on there own.

I think it was Jeantet that makes leather-bound pipes that are pretty cool, heard they smoke damn well for the money. I have only one leather pipe (and it's not Jeantet, it's another French maker, Noymer), and I really dig it. It's one of the few briars I can toss without worry of damage into a backpack and head out. One day I'll track down a few more.

8)

Kyle Weiss":mjdirm4w said:
I think it was Jeantet that makes leather-bound pipes that are pretty cool, heard they smoke damn well for the money.   I have only one leather pipe (and it's not Jeantet, it's another French maker, Noymer), and I really dig it.   It's one of the few briars I can toss without worry of damage into a backpack and head out.  One day I'll track down a few more.  

8)
I believe your thinking of Longchamp sir.

Cartaphilus":pwjdo5wf said:
Kyle Weiss":pwjdo5wf said:
I think it was Jeantet that makes leather-bound pipes that are pretty cool, heard they smoke damn well for the money.   I have only one leather pipe (and it's not Jeantet, it's another French maker, Noymer), and I really dig it.   It's one of the few briars I can toss without worry of damage into a backpack and head out.  One day I'll track down a few more.  

8)
I believe your thinking of Longchamp sir.
Nah, I know about Longchamp pipes. I swear I've seen Jeantet leather-bound pipes.

Could be wrong. Don't think so, though.

8)

Ocelot55":zvy3p4k7 said:
I don't like to mess with the original mechanics of the pipe. It's almost an insult to the factory or carver that made it.
If it's in the Uberdane class, good for you. But if it's like mine are -- pipes that rolled off assembly lines with nobody fussing over getting them just exactly right -- it's the improvements that turn them into favorites.

Ocelot55":zvy3p4k7 said:
I'd rather just sell or give the pipe to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.
A pipe that doesn't smoke well. OK . . . I guess . . . :roll: 

Ocelot":zvy3p4k7 said:
Besides I've got plenty of pipes to smoke.
I do too. And the reason I do is that most of them are old blue collars greatly improved with acrylic stems by guys like you & LL. Even a Dave Walker or two. Makes all the difference in the world.

IMO  8) 

:face:

Yak":fp99c9yy said:
Ocelot55":fp99c9yy said:
I'd rather just sell or give the pipe to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.
A pipe that doesn't smoke well. OK . . . I guess . . . :roll: 
Yeah, a year ago that would have been my sentiment as well. The pipemaker in me wants to believe a properly engineered pipe will smoke great no matter what while one that has poor engineering will smoke awfully. While there are some guidelines where the majority of good smoking pipes fall, there are those that despite flaws smoke incredibly well, or despite their precision smoke poorly. Some of this has to do with the briar, certainly, but a lot has to do with the smoker as well.

I sold a few pipes about a year ago (French Wessex pipes as a matter of fact) to a chap who, after he had smoked them, told me they were some of his finest smoking pipes. For whatever reason (I suspect a restricted draw) they just didn't work for me. He, on the other hand, had no trouble with them.

No magic bullets implied :x 

But LL makes out pretty well doing what I'm talking about for people dissatisfied with the ways the pipes they otherwise like perform.. 8) 

:face: 

I have a couple of these, and they are really great smoking pipes.

They have a good few years on them, and are similar in style to danish freehands - a little unusual (for French pipes). Gorgeous to look at, good weight and feel and beautifully engineered.

I'd pick up another in a heatbeat if it presented itself (currently trying to avoid looking).

I can't recall them specifically but I know my impression is that I've seen some really nice estate ones online in the past. I seem to like the look of classic French pipes, I think. I've been wanting to buy a Sebastian Beo for awhile and even had a shot to get the ones simple man was selling on the trading post but had to pass cuz I'm accumulating money for the Richmond pipe show.

Geoff":eea8g0ze said:
Did you see that Pipedia has info on the line, Cart?
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Jeantet

Looks like it was acquired around 1990?

A 70's production is quite possibly Algerian briar which was lighter than most.
Yes sir and the other at the French site. But, thank you for the info for others.

juanmedusa":a9enx4t6 said:
I can't recall them specifically but I know my impression is that I've seen some really nice estate ones online in the past.  I seem to like the look of classic French pipes, I think. I've been wanting to buy a Sebastian Beo for awhile and even had a shot to get the ones simple man was selling on the trading post but had to pass cuz I'm accumulating money for the Richmond pipe show.
Accumulate money? What's that?
Hey, good for you sir, wish I could go.

I've sold half a dozen Jentet pipes the last few years. All of them were smaller pipes with a great light amber finish. The ones I've seen usually have a couple of minor fills, but one did not. They reminded me a lot of some of Kriswill or Bari's small pipes. Very well executed and usually dynamite smokers.