JimInks posts his 2000th review!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Jim, well deserved. You put allot of time and effort in all of your reviews. It's appreciated by many, thank you to the :king: of tobacco reviews :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

His reviews have helped me several times. 2000 reviews is a lot of work and should be commended. thanks for all you do Jim.

Like others, I've found many of those reviews very helpful. Thanks for all the effort!

Ipsy pips and well done. I only wish I could smoke that much without my tongue going solid, let alone having the taste buds to tell what the hell I was smoking. You are a prodigy.

I thank all of you for the very kind words. I am greatly pleased my reviews have been of help to you folks. Honestly, I never dreamed I'd ever get to that level. I'm still surprised at it. M'lady razzed me a little today when she said, "Remember when you said that it'd be really cool if you got to 500?"

I could never have had the opportunity to do so many reviews without the kind folks who either traded with me or gifted me tobaccos here and on other forums. All who have participated in that deserve a ton of credit for which I am very grateful.

Now, tell us howinhell you keep your taste buds working? I'm envious.

Congrats on your accomplishment Jim. I always look forward to reading your reviews and have learned quite a bit from studying your approach.

Cheers, Chris

Slowroll":yaf9jtbj said:
I think it's partly genetics, partly being a slow to moderate puffer, partly staying hydrated when I smoke (ice water and cold tea are very good at reducing tongue heat), knowing what palate cleansers work best for me (apples are best), and keeping my pipes clean so I avoid that sludgy taste unclean pipes can give you. Also, changing genres regularly helps a lot.

I also change the position of the pipe from one side to the other rather frequently.

M'lady does all the cooking, but I taught her. I used to run a restaurant in college, and I think there's a correlation regarding the understanding of food flavors that translates to the understanding of tobacco flavors. Several blenders like Pease and Ouellette are chefs. It's no coincidence to me that they excelled at what they have done.

I obviously have a sensitive palate, which can have drawbacks. I can't eat spicy foods or peppers because they sizzle my tongue something fierce. A little spice goes a long way with me.

Not sure what else to say. Maybe I'm just lucky, too.

JimInks":uwvlqfhb said:
Slowroll":uwvlqfhb said:
I used to run a restaurant in college, and I think there's a correlation regarding the understanding of food flavors that translates to the understanding of tobacco flavors.
I have to agree; at least the years I spent doing and running wine tastings helped me!

Thanks Jiminks. I'll try more more drinking during my smoking, although I'll have to find something other than scotch or wine after breakfast. :shock: it's true though, that my palette isn't very sensitive, but it does deaden after a bit.

Slowroll":ohlq1qyg said:
Thanks Jiminks.  I'll try more more drinking during my smoking, although I'll have to find something other than scotch or wine after breakfast. :shock:  it's true though, that my palette isn't very sensitive, but it does deaden after a bit.
If you are smoking a lot of strong blends, that will deaden your ability to discern flavor nuances of anything that's milder. I know one guy who has serious sinus problems and can't taste anything but strong tobaccos. I remember one person who smoked strong G&H twists and ropes to the point that anything mild to medium or of lesser strength was like sucking hot air.

Latakia can dull the tongue quite a bit, especially if you smoke a lot of it, and the blends have some strength.

Keep the reviews and sampling coming Jim. We have great respect for your opinions.