Jim's C&D Bijou Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
This latest flake blend from C&D will be available on Friday the 13th of May. It should bring you luck! :D

The first thing that hits you as you light up is the Turkish Katerini, quickly followed by the moderately tangy dark fruit sweet 2003 Eastern North Carolina red Virginias. The red Virginias also have a little earth and very minor spice note. The lightly smokey, fairly woody sweet Katerini also offers a gentle spice. After a few moments, the Katerini recedes into the background as an important secondary player that underscores every single puff. There’s a touch of bright Virginia leaf that chips in with dab of citrus and grass. The honey topping is very mild and lightly applied, adding a slight smooth sweetness that rounds out the blend without sublimating the tobaccos. It’s not always noticeable, and weakens a little after the half way point. The nic-hit is mild to medium, though I observe it a tad more toward the finish. The strength and taste are in-between mild to medium. The flakes are a bit on the thin side, mildly moist and very easily manipulated to suit your packing preference. I saw no need to dry it, and recommend you smoke it as it is. Burns very cool, clean with a consistently smooth, woody sweetness at a slow to modest pace. Requires a few relights, and has no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if you push it. Leaves a slight bit of moisture in the bowl.

It will burn to ash, but in a big bowl, you may have to stir up the last quarter just a little. Also, the tanginess from the red Virginia seems to speak out  just a little more in a smaller bowl, so I will recommend a small to medium size pipe for this blend. The after taste is very pleasant, and doesn’t linger too long. The room note is like temperately sweet campfire smoke. An all day, subtly complex blend that wears well during the day. Three and a half stars out of four.

It must really be good for you to give it three and a half stars. Sounds like a must try blend for me. Thanks for the heads-up Jim. :)

AJ

ajn27511":lb3w3tgc said:
It must really be good for you to give it three and a half stars. Sounds like a must try blend for me. Thanks for the heads-up Jim. :)

AJ
You're most welcome. The flavor isn't deep, being mild to medium, but it is tasty. In the genre of mild to medium Va/Oriental blends, it gets that rating. If I was rating it against stronger blends with more depth of flavor - which I would find unfair to do - then it would be a three. I must say I've been enjoying it, but my rating isn't for my personal taste, but as it stands against similar blends in its particular category. I can't think of better way to write an objective review, which I try to do rather than write subjective ones.

Bijou was the hands down favorite at my table at Chicago.
The other tobaccos that were offered at the dinner, were meh......

This one caught my eye as well. I've really been enjoying C&D blends of late. Their Virginia's seem grassy, earthy, and have just a hint of sweetness. I believe they also come close to perfect on their condiment tobaccos.

I recently ordered a few tins of this to try but my package decided to take a Hawaiian vacation and landed in Honolulu yesterday.