Jim's C&D Burley Flake Reviews.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Occasionally, I have seen some smokers ask about the differences between the four C&D Burley Flake blends, and as I have recently been smoking DF #4, I thought I’d post a thread of all four reviews for interested parties.

C&D Burley Flake #1:
The burleys are bold and rich in flavor, nutty, woody and earthy with a few cocoa and dry notes, and a hint of molasses. The red Virginia is moderately present with earthy and tangy dark fruit almost as a second lead. The perique offers plum, raisin and pepper, the latter being a bit more obvious in a support role. You’ll notice every flavor aspect in virtually every puff. It has a medium nic-hit. Doesn't turn ashy, won't bite, and has no harsh or dull spots. Needs a few relights and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl, but it burns cool and clean with a deep, very consistent, mildly complex taste as it produces lots of smoke. Has a pleasant after taste. Great for smoking outdoors or with tea or coffee. Not an all day smoke.

C&D Burley Flake #2:
The dark and white burleys offer a lot of strength, earth, a little nuttiness, wood and cocoa, with a note or two of coffee, and a hint of sweetness. A slight, dry sharpness from the white burley is also evident in the background. This is not a sweet blend, but what little there is mainly comes from the tangy dark fruity, earthy red Virginia, which is an important minor player. It adds a little balance to the burleys, and tames any potential harsh spots. Burns clean and cool, a little slow with a very consistent flavor, no bite and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Requires a few relights. It has a medium nic-hit which I seem to notice more at the end rather than the front of the smoke. Has a nice, lingering after taste. Not for a beginner, and certainly not an all day smoke, but experienced smokers may desire more than one bowl a day if it fits their flavor profile.

C&D Burley Flake #3:
I recommend a slow to moderate puffing cadence. It won't hurt to have a little food in your stomach. Do all of that, and you'll be rewarded with a powerhouse burley with all the aspects you've come to expect (a mild sharpness, lots of earth, wood, some dryness, and nuttiness with a little molasses and cocoa), plus a light natural Virginia grass and citrusy sweetness to take the edge off. I think there's more than just a "dash of perique" in this blend, but it really helps make this a smoke worth having. The perique adds a decent spice, plum and raisin hit. Won’t bite, and has a light rough edge. If you've been around burleys for a while and need the big nic-hit, this could be your blend. Burns cool and clean and a little slow, and needs a few relights, but the flavor remains consistent to the finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a lingering after taste and stronger room note. Obviously not an all day smoke, but the deep taste may cause you to revisit it sometime during your smoking day.

C&D Burley Flake #4:
The dark and light burleys provide a bit of earth and nuttiness, some wood, light molasses with a touch of cocoa, and very mild dryness with a hint of a rough edge. They are the major components with the Kentucky taking a little of the lead. The smokey, woody, lightly sweet Cyprian latakia is an important condiment. The tangy, dark fruit sweet, earthy red Virginia plays a back up role, adding much of the sweetness that you notice. The strength and taste levels are just past medium, and get a little more potent after the half way point. The nic-hit is just shy of medium. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a very consistent, mildly complex, deep flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering nutty campfire after taste. Not an all day smoke, but is repeatable for the experienced smoker. Three and a half stars out of four.