Jim's C&D Carolina Red Flake Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
It's available June 10. 2,400 tins will be produced. I was asked to review it, so here's my thoughts on the tobacco.

Several 2015 North Carolina grown red Virginias are processed into a very easily broken apart flake to suit your packing preference, and for a better burn rate than what some flake blends offer. It’s very tangy, dark fruit sweet with a lot of earth, some woodiness, very mild grass, natural sugar and citrus notes, along with slightly more than mild spice. The first thing that hits you as you light up is the tangy sweetness and earth, which are the main features of the flavors. The other attributes I mentioned quickly show themselves, and remain all throughout the proceedings. The nic-hit is just a shade past being mild. The strength is just a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is right at the medium level.

Not a complex product, but there’s enough variety going on to hold your interest as the flavor is fairly smooth and very consistent from start to finish. I say “fairly smooth” only because the much appreciated earth and spice continually underscores the inherently tangy sweetness of the reds. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if pushed, though I recommend a slow cadence in order to fully savor the experience. Easily burns to ash, and requires just a few relights. Leaves a light dampness in the bowl. The tangy after taste very pleasantly lingers a little, and the room note is a little sweet. Can be an all day smoke if you wish.

I'm going to try to land a couple of tins of this. From Jim's description I could almost taste the sweetness and tangy citrus notes. No doubt they had me in mind when they came up with this. :oops: :)

AJ

Sounds good. I am sure it will sell out fast.

BTW, I am pretty happy with their new blend, Bijou. Tasty stuff.

It's on sale now. I got five tins. One to smoke, four to age. I think it has great age potential because of the lack of toppings.

And Gone...

Personally, I would like to see SP.com lower the quantity allowed to purchase cap on these C&D limited releases. 20 per customer? :shock:

Come on guys, not everyone is glued to a computer all day. :x

DrumsAndBeer":uamtsnus said:
And Gone...

Personally, I would like to see SP.com lower the quantity allowed to purchase cap on these C&D limited releases. 20 per customer? :shock:

P&C still has it. I think Pipe and Leaf still does, too.

DrumsAndBeer":zl0kykkh said:
And Gone...

Yes, this! Wonder how many tins they had? I figured they'd sell out immediately.

Cheers?

RR

Thanks for the review Jim. This looks like one I will enjoy, so I just bought 5 tins St P&C. I'll probably take a page from your book and be aging 4 of those for a few years.

ajn27511":rntb6z4m said:
I'm going to try to land a couple of tins of this. From Jim's description I could almost taste the sweetness and tangy citrus notes. No doubt they had me in mind when they came up with this. :oops: :)

AJ
Were you able to score some?

Pipe and Leaf still has some. I was out gigging tonight and couldn't get to a computer till now. So there's some to be found.

DrumsAndBeer":tnnuxxiu said:
Pipe and Leaf still has some. I was out gigging tonight and couldn't get to a computer till now. So there's some to be found.
I just ordered 10 more tins, they might be some bombing material... :face:

Crap! I can't seem to get some using this phone! Sigh.... Gonna have to pull a cosmic string or pass on that..

This batch is now under a recall. Contact your supplier for details. Check your email. I was emailed by the good folks at Smokingpipes.com. Dang shame, but these things happen. They are trying to make it right. I can foresee this blend returning in the future.

Carlos":0l5ajttv said:
This batch is now under a recall.  Contact your supplier for details.  Check your email.  I was emailed by the good folks at Smokingpipes.com.  Dang shame, but these things happen.  They are trying to make it right.  I can foresee this blend returning in the future.  
Just saw that. Has anyone here experienced this issue?

:?:

Cheers,

RR