Jim's C&D The Beast Small Batch Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
This blend is due to be released April 29. 777 tins are to be produced.

The spicy, richly deep sweet rum and the tingly pepper from the St, James Acadian perique are the first things that hit you as you light up. That sensation lasts from start to finish as this blend has a very consistent flavor. The topping never weakens, which doesn’t surprise me as the mixture was soaked in that rum for a week. The perique is likely to be around sixty percent of the product, and also offers some plum. The aged red Virginia (from one particular 2003 North Carolina crop) has a fermented ripe dark fruitiness and a little earth, and is noticeable much of the time in a supporting role. Just as obvious in a back up position is the woody, nutty dark fired Kentucky, whose spiciness often separates itself from that of the perique. I don’t really notice much from the Dominican Republic black cavendish, which is used to add a little smoothness, and is present in a small amount. Has a medium to strong nic-hit. The strength and taste are strong and very filling. I recommend you take your time smoking this for best effect, and don’t use a big or narrow bowl.

The tobacco was a little moist when I opened the tin, but I saw no need to dry it. The burn rate was slow to moderate, and required a few relights. It will leave a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. I experienced no bite, but your tongue will tingle some from the spice content. Despite its strength, it wasn't harsh at any time nor did it burn hot. Most assuredly, this is a blend for the experienced smoker, and is not an all day smoke as by design. For that type of smoker, I rate it at three stars out of four.

SOLD OUT!

Just minutes after I saw the alert from SP! OOS on 4Nog as well. Checked a few other sites and no cigar.

If they made and released only 777 tins these are now gone like yesterday.........

:x

No Cheers,

RR

I was surprised SP allowed folks to order up to 10. I wasn't so greedy and am in for two. It sounds interesting: Aleister Crowley would no doubt have been interested

Well, that sucks. I really wanted to try it, esp since I've been loving my C&D blends.... :cry: bummed

Bugsahearn":wfbzq248 said:
I bet Mr. Crowley would prefer St. James Flake to this blend
Ha! I don't know if that makes me feel better or not. Guess I'll just have to order another 250g of St. James!

Yeah, i think they need to re-think their small batch batch size. the last two have sold out in a day or two.

I think they are trying to get in on the rare, incredibly hard to find blend racket. This blend was pretty much made to be sold for exorbitant prices on ebay. Although I do think they might probably release it in a large quantity due to it's popularity

I smoked my first bowl of the Beast in a clay a few hours ago. The tin note is rum and a little perique silage. I aired mine a little before loading the small bowl. W00t! is about all I can say. This is heavy and spicy. There is a fruit from the Virginia/perique combo that reminds me of fruit that is just a little overripe. In this first small bowl, I am not sure I am distinguishing where the perique ends and the DFK begins. The rum comes through in every puff. The first impression of stength is on the strong end of med-strong. This is good. It may not be your shot of rum with a a few shakes of tobasco, but it is full of flavor and very tasty.

JimInks":25karyco said:
Bugsahearn":25karyco said:
I think they are trying to get in on the rare, incredibly hard to find blend racket. This blend was pretty much made to be sold for exorbitant prices on ebay. Although I do think they might probably release it in a large quantity due to it's popularity
I feel sorry for the chump who falls for this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cornell-Diehl-Small-Batch-The-Beast-Sealed-Collectable-Tin-Numbered-256-777-/291755938126?&rmvSB=true
Ya, what was it P.T Barnum said?

:tongue:

Cheers?

RR

Bugsahearn":7b9grxye said:
I think they are trying to get in on the rare, incredibly hard to find blend racket. This blend was pretty much made to be sold for exorbitant prices on ebay.
Bingo... :p

It's a shame the resale gougers bought the stuff up so quickly. This is a blend that I seriously want to try, but I won't get a chance until they tin another batch up. :evil:

Personally, I think a one or two tin limit might've been the call.